center manager DR's business

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I think I'm paid to consider all the facts and make that decision.

What we all seem to be overlooking here is the financial liability that a driver would be exposing himself to if he made the same decision that this center manager did and the package came up missing and a claim was filed. The company would have every right under the contract to make the driver pay for the missing package due to his negligence in not following proper delivery procedures.

By cutting corners in this manner the center manager is in effect giving tacit approval for similar behavior by his drivers whether he intends to or not.

There is no need for burning the center manager at the stake for this, but I do feel he needs to make it clear to his people what they are risking by failing to follow correct methods. By being honest and admitting that he was wrong, he can maintain credibility with his drivers instead of being perceived as a hypocrite.

Braveheart

We had a driver that was pulled off the rd. my center manager and FT sup. get on the route and start to deliver it about 2 and waith for me and another driver to bail them out. The center manager and the FT DR a buisness outside and did not go back to get the OCA, instead another driver had to go by and get the OCA, the customer then said that he saw the 2 (center manager,FT) dr the pkg outside. When are the center manager, FT going to start to get warnings, 3 days, I mean if it was a driver we would be in alot of hotwater.
Report it to corporate, 1800 # and so forth.

I know a guy who reported something like that to loss prevention once and manager got into a world of crap over it.

Last edited:

Braveheart

no ignore and not sure what I was supposed to respond to other then your point that you agreed with trp and sober.

At this point the debate is at a dead end because we don't know what the service issues were at the time the center manager and his sup were stuck with that route.

Obviously we would like to think he could make service on everything and provide the service we expect.

From what we do know the center manager didn't decide to go out and deliver a route that day and just decide to not do the job by the methods.

He got surprised with one his driver getting into an accident and second where the driver got arrested.

We don't know what drivers he had available in the area to help get it delivered.

we don't know what service issues he had on that car. Its possible he faced a situation where he had multiple packages that were in danger of missing thier required service.

All of the packages that do miss are subject to the service guarantee.

In such a possible scenario the center manager has the authority to evaluate the possible service issues and to make decisions that will minimize the number of service failures. Any operations manager has had to make those decisions.

If the DR package ends up a claim he has to answer for it.

If there are service failures he has to answer for them.

If you think his having to answer for those decisions is easy then you need to walk in his shoes.

If you think you can do that job better then you should be wearing the tie and making those decisions.
Wow, when we make the same explanations we are told they are excuses and get fired. Methods are methods boss. Leaving a business package w/o a signature is a violation of methods, violation of service to customer on both ends, causing damage to our reputation and potential claim. If we can not cut corners then neither should managers.

screamin chicken

These are the situations we as drivers face on a daily basis, especially with all the unfamiliar and extra work added due to the breaking of routes. We HAVE to make all commits and we HAVE to use all methods period. If you think we are ahead of schedule and always delivering in order you haven't run a route for the new UPS. Also, when you DR a business it automatically gets billed the residential charge. How do you explain to the shipper that the package he sent to a business is now being billed as a residential, not signed for, because someone felt a little pressure and cracked. BM

Nicely said, we are never told on the outstanding job we do, and the big thing now is honesty, they try to find away to fire you for not being honest, and just like you said the bill will come back as a resi. and not a buis. so that alone is being dishonest.
The hotline does nothing you are talikng to a non ups employee in which just forward all the info to the HR , yes she/he has to answer to corp. but thats as far as it goes.

tieguy

Banned
What we all seem to be overlooking here is the financial liability that a driver would be exposing himself to if he made the same decision that this center manager did and the package came up missing and a claim was filed. The company would have every right under the contract to make the driver pay for the missing package due to his negligence in not following proper delivery procedures.

That point was not overlooked it was previously addressed. center manager answers for everything in his center and that he delivers. Care to take his place in answering for some of these things then go knock on his door and let him know.

what you folks are choosing to overlook is that service failures is also a part of the picture. If his dr'ing the package and choosing not to wait saved service on five more packages then he may have made a good decision. Do you agree or are you another driver here that does not care about missed pieces?

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
Wow, when we make the same explanations we are told they are excuses and get fired. Methods are methods boss. Leaving a business package w/o a signature is a violation of methods, violation of service to customer on both ends, causing damage to our reputation and potential claim. If we can not cut corners then neither should managers.

Center Manager has the authority and is expected to make decisions to save service on every package in that car.

So theoretically he has the authority to take those shortcuts if he needs to do so in order to recover service on this car. He will have to explain whatever he does later. He knows his name will show up on some report later.

You do not have that authority and you should follow the methods 100%

Other then making that point I can't really answer anything else because no one here including screaming chicken really knows what the center manager did.

tieguy

Banned
Nicely said, we are never told on the outstanding job we do, and the big thing now is honesty, they try to find away to fire you for not being honest, and just like you said the bill will come back as a resi. and not a buis. so that alone is being dishonest.
The hotline does nothing you are talikng to a non ups employee in which just forward all the info to the HR , yes she/he has to answer to corp. but thats as far as it goes.

read through some of your posts and I think you'll figure out why you're always on the hot seat.Everything out of your mouth is negative.

One of your buddies got himself locked up and left many customers in jeopardy of missing service on thier packages.Instead of coming on here and talking about what a buthole that guy was you come on here and spread second hand information about your center manager.

Why not give us the whole story. How many stops were left on the car when your buddy tried to screw his customers. what time was the route left hanging , how many stops were on the car , business stops , other committs etc. why not give us the whole complete story so we can all assess the real facts of this little story of yours.

I think you spend too much time worrying about what others are doing when your house is not tight by any means.

Last edited:

screamin chicken

What ever dude, your blind, I get congradulated on the perfect service I do, and told by the FT sup. that he can't be as produtive as me, and that with my mileage, and send agains, and that I am right were they want to be. Then the next day my FT sup. rides with me to observe me for no reason. They take insurance cards out of the trucks to set you up for not pre tripping properly, and you wonder why I am so NEGATIVE that because PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE ME THINK NEGATIVE. SHUT YOUR MOUTH IF YOU THINK I AM TO NEGATIVE AND DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POST IF YOU DO NOT LIKE WHAT YOU READ, YOUR NO DIFFERENT THEN THE ONES I WORK FOR.

Today LP is there and says that is going to be checking up on everything and if there is anything that he finds he is firing on the spot, such as signing for pkgs, and DR's that are buisness. I t would have been really nice if the person that was told this would have said something.

Braveheart

Center Manager has the authority and is expected to make decisions to save service on every package in that car.

So theoretically he has the authority to take those shortcuts if he needs to do so in order to recover service on this car. He will have to explain whatever he does later. He knows his name will show up on some report later.

You do not have that authority and you should follow the methods 100%

Other then making that point I can't really answer anything else because no one here including screaming chicken really knows what the center manager did.
So how is not getting the box their before 5 pm and not getting a signature saving service.

If a Wendy's manager says forget the bacon we are behind and I ordered a bacon cheeseburger then he too did not service the customer.

Two sided, double standard, two faced, we are above the law, do as I say and not as I do is all you had to say.

tieguy

Banned
So how is not getting the box their before 5 pm and not getting a signature saving service.

If a Wendy's manager says forget the bacon we are behind and I ordered a bacon cheeseburger then he too did not service the customer.

Two sided, double standard, two faced, we are above the law, do as I say and not as I do is all you had to say.

from the description given they saved time. the time they saved may have gotten other packages delivered that would have missed. thats the point you keep trying to ignore.

In a way you're right there is a double standard. the center manager has the authority to make those decisions to save service on packages due to the driver getting locked up and he also has the responsibility to explain every decision he made.

In your case you would deliver everything you could using the correct methods and then just say oh well when it came time to miss twenty packages.

So if that dr decision saved service on other packages that would not have made it then it may have been the right decision. But the center manager will have to answer for whatever he did.

Hop on a conference call and explain missed packages with a district manager and then tell me about your double standard.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I can make decisions on making sure the maximum amount of pkgs make service. If I have 2 air stops left and can only make one I will opt for the one with 8 packages over the one with one letter. That is beside the point. Making service on a package is delivering it and having it signed not dumping and running. A center manager can tell a driver to sheet a misload at 4:59 as closed to avoid a missed but the driver has to run all over hell to actually make commit times.

tieguy

Banned
Today LP is there and says that is going to be checking up on everything and if there is anything that he finds he is firing on the spot, such as signing for pkgs, and DR's that are buisness. I t would have been really nice if the person that was told this would have said something.

someone named LP came in and told you they were fishing and firing on the spot?
They told you this because you're the man? They report to you? OH ok I get it you heard it from someone that heard it from someone who heard it......again.

Here again LP does not just walk in and say they are checking up on everything and will be firing people on the spot. your credibiliy is very shaky.

go ahead and tell me to shut up again when you can't defend the accuracy of your information.

screamin chicken

you just can not get enough of me can you, it just seems what ever I say you have to bring your stupid comments.
Today a guy by the name of tieguy came on and responded to a post that is no longer, get a a life dude. If your a center manager and this is all you can do is rant to a Driver, I am sorry you decided to become a center manager, probably because you could not hack it to be a driver thats a real job that real men do. Good bye troll.:hammer:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hmmm....let's see....tieguy has been here since May 2000, has posted 8,907 times and has rep power of 23,476. You have been here since Mar 2009, have made 85 posts and have yet to acquire any rep power.

Gee, I wonder who has established themself and who has yet to do so? I'll give you a hint, it's not you.

tieguy

Banned
you just can not get enough of me can you, it just seems what ever I say you have to bring your stupid comments.
Today a guy by the name of tieguy came on and responded to a post that is no longer, get a a life dude. If your a center manager and this is all you can do is rant to a Driver, I am sorry you decided to become a center manager, probably because you could not hack it to be a driver thats a real job that real men do. Good bye troll.:hammer:

I'm sorry did I hurt your feelings because I challenge the BS you post here. too bad.

screamin chicken

I'm a grown man a little turd like you does not bother me, UPS owns you son, not me. I do my job and do it very good, and at the end of my day I go home and that is it. if this is all BS ask and I will tell since you insist that I come on here with BS. I swear it's people like you is the reason there is a change in the company.