Center Mgr Quits

tieguy

Banned
Hey Tie. Actually if someone doesn't pass the test, they can retest after 6 months. Maybe they do it different in your district, but in my district it is 6 months.

yea they changed the time period to six months in my district also. The point basically remains the same. Some of our more talented management candidates may leave rather then wait for the opportunity to retest. From my perspective the new maps process gives us a consistent method to evaluate all candidates but does not always give us the best method to assess the skill level of each applicant.

trickpony1

who's that?

Not you. Of the several management posters on this board, you are the only one that offers just a shred of civility.

You may have missed the referenced post (georges555) as it seems to have disappeared. It was a classic.

Why the paranoia?

Last edited:

SmithBarney

I hate it when some smuck says drivers make 80k a year?? I work about 6 hours overtime every week and will just make 65k. Drivers pay is in the 50k range before overtime. I

Not even close, in my roughest estimation, I'll almost make 50K this year
but since I'm not at top scale, that means I'm about $12/hr short for the year
roughly 2500 hours in so far. take 20% for taxes(or so) thats another 24k on
top of that.(of course that doesn't take into account overtime, thats just straight pay)
Either way we get paid well for an otherwise demanding job.

Foamer Pyle

Maybe in your state you guys make more per hour Fred. I have done the math and if I worked just 40 hour weeks at full pay I would come in around 57k. Now that is a stretch from 80k. I dont base my income on overtime, I cant stand working overtime. Bottom line is the more overtime you work the higher your income is going to be. Base pay is in the 50k range in Florida.

satellitedriver

Not you. Of the several management posters on this board, you are the only one that offers just a shred of civility.

You may have missed the referenced post (georges555) as it seems to have disappeared. It was a classic.

Why the paranoia?

Who said dat? When I said ,who said dat. Paranoia? That is one of the least things I would have thought of Tie. He is civil and well spoken with his views. If you think (georges555) post was classic, maybe you should rethink that. There was a reason it was pulled.

R

rocketman

As a service, "if" we can a second delivery attempt isnt out of the question. Whats wrong with that??? For medicine, for a gift, for something that could be important to a person who needs it, certainly. a phone for some dumb "youngster", nahhhhhh. Not today.

what kind of car is that i rce enduros what class is that

satellitedriver

CMON OLD TIMERS RETIRE MAKE SOME ROOM FOR US BOTTOM GUYS ONLY 5 YEARS WITH BIG BROWN AND I WANNA DRIVE A REAL TRUCK IM TIRED OF ALL THESE DAME CUSTOMERS AND THERE SOB STORIES JUST TO GET A SECOND DELIVERY ATTEMPT THE SAME DAY !!! WHAAAAA WHAAAAAAAAAA WHAAAAAAAAAA !!! ITS OUR TURN !!!:tongue_sm

There is a reason you are on the bottom. Just bite the pillow so I don't have to hear you WHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!.
CMON young timer.
You do not have a clue to what it takes to be a driver. What you WANNA do and what you are GONNA do are two seperate issues.
It's your turn to do what?

ImStillHere

they better find a way to get the new promotions past the new promotion process first. I think that maybe 10 percent of all applicants are passing the new tests which are clearly biased towards applicants with a staff background.

I went through the MAP process a few months ago, and passed it without much difficulty, I thought. The worst part was my interview with the HR managers, and one of the district managers! I currently work in an air operation, so I don't have the type of background that the test was geared towards. But if you have common sense it's not that difficult.

They are definitely hanging the "promotion carrot" in front of me. I graduate with a bacehlors degree in June, and if that promotion does not soon follow I am leaving. I would love to stay with the company, but as a part time supervisor, we get used and abused all to often, and honestly I am getting tired of it.

Good luck to everyone that sticks it out.... but I'm not going to be a part time supervisor with a college degree! My knowledge is much more valuable than that!!!

tieguy

Banned

Why the paranoia?

LOL, ok you got me on that one. :thumbup1:

They are definitely hanging the "promotion carrot" in front of me. I graduate with a bacehlors degree in June, and if that promotion does not soon follow I am leaving. I would love to stay with the company, but as a part time supervisor, we get used and abused all to often, and honestly I am getting tired of it.

Good luck to everyone that sticks it out.... but I'm not going to be a part time supervisor with a college degree! My knowledge is much more valuable than that!!!

The abuse doesn't change when you get promoted. The carrot becomes a stick. You do get a bigger check though.

T

tTtTtTtTt

Of course the manager quit. He must have found out like I did, that a newly promoted supervisor makes as much as he does. Because the driver's make more than a supervisor, the inticement to take a supervisory job consists of a 20% raise in what he was making as a driver. My supervisor is upset because the guy they promoted a month ago is making 900 more a month than he is. Well you asked if a trend was in the making, when it is well known to all the supervisors and managers that a brand new supervisor makes what a manager does and lots more than a supervisor with years of experience I would have to vote for a trend in the making.

If you think a newly promoted supervisor makes as much as a manager you’re smoking crack – but that’s about par for the dummy-boards circuit.

There *may* be instances where a supervisor for some-decades makes more than a new manager – but there won’t be many instances like that.

If you have a 15 year supervisor and a 15 year manager the supervisor won’t make anywhere close to the manager and no driver at UPS is going to come close to the supervisor.

Even with that UPS is having to dig deep and stand and deliver to retain people in certain positions.

That tells me you don’t have a pool of qualified replacement candidates when people retire or get (much!) better offers outside the industry.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
they better find a way to get the new promotions past the new promotion process first. I think that maybe 10 percent of all applicants are passing the new tests which are clearly biased towards applicants with a staff background.

I passed all the new MAP (MAPP?) stuff this past year and got my full time gig in october. Everytime I came back from one of the steps in the process my manager would ask me what happened and I would tell him the gist of it because you are not supposed to talk about the details and he was always like "wow thats new" and "never heard of that before". The full time sup even told me that if he had to put up with the crap I did he would have never stuck around.

Anyways with all that being said you guys are talking about it being biased towards an IE type and I can see that, I'll tell you who its really biased against, those without a degree. If I hadn't gotten my business degree I would never have had the base knowledgeto complete the process.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Happens all the time. Good managers get offers from all over, esp if they are looking. While not really a new trend, it does explain the loss of many good people.

d
Definately :thumbup1:. Pay means nothing when you know you're a damn good middle-manager working in a organization with lackluster corporate culture where your mistakes are a lot more noticed than your acheivements, and you have four voices screaming in your two ears. Why deal with that crap when you're in your 30s when you can work somewhere else and be happy.

YAKMASTA

As a service, "if" we can a second delivery attempt isnt out of the question. Whats wrong with that??? For medicine, for a gift, for something that could be important to a person who needs it, certainly. a phone for some dumb "youngster", nahhhhhh. Not today.
1sT OF ALL IT WAS A JOKE I DO APPRECIATE YOU VETERANS PAVING THE WAY SO TO SPEAK YES YOU HAVE PAID YOUR DUES AND I DONT MEEN TO THE UNION YOU GUYS HAVE FOUGHT THE FIGHT AS PER RESPECT YOU GUYS ARE JUST A LIL TOO STIFF IT WAS A STATEMENT MADE BY SOMEONE WHO IS FED UP WITH THESE CUSTOMERS I DELIVER IN A LESS THAN DESIREABLE AREA EVERY DAY AND AM TIRED OF STORY AFTER STORY OF ITS MEDICINE AND MY MOTHER SISTTER OR GRANDPARENT NEEDS THERE MEDS WHEN ITS NOTHING MORE THAN THE LATEST VIDEO GAME SYSTEM BOTTOM LINE IF I CANT GAIN ACCESS TO YOUR APARTMENT BUILDING BECAUSE ITS GOT GATES AND NO INTERCOMMS BECAUSE YOU LIVE AMONG THEIVES AND JUNKIES THAN YOU CQAN COME DOWN TO THE CENTER TO PICKUP YOUR PACKAGES I MAKE 1 ATTEMPT PER DAY NO EXCEPTIONS UNLESS I CAN HEAR THE PILLS WHEN I SHAKE THE PACKAGE OR ITS PERISHABLE GOODS TO THOSE OLD TIMERS YOU HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOR OH WELL IM SORRY I OFFENDED YOU !!!!!

upsgrunt

You've been with UPS for less than a year, have never been through a contract year, yet you talk about standing in a picket line? Don't do everything the senior drivers tell you to do-sometimes you have to make your own decisions.

Big Babooba

More are doing it now before the golden handcuffs really kick in. In a few years if they leave they'll be walking away from over 100k or more, depending on their level,in delayed bonus money to go somewhere else. Speaking of leaving, any chance UPS will offer us slow senior drivers a buy out like GM is doing so they can get more run and gun kids in? A man can dream can't he?

I like that idea. I've got 28 years in and I've been on comp for six months. BUT I don't consider myself to be a slow driver, just least fast.

tieguy

Banned
Well REYDLUAP , I will THANK YOU for standing in the rain on the picket line and I will stand with you on that same rainy picket line. I look to Senior Driver's for advice and direction. You gotta say something about a person that has done this for years and years. God Bless You.

I think I'm going to throw up. rydulap didn't stand on a picket line to get you some ill concieved, poorly designed combo jobs. Rydulap stood on the line because Ron Carey told him UPS was going to try to steal their pension. 10 years later Carey is disgraced and we are still trying to fix the pensions.

disneyworld

I think I'm going to throw up. rydulap didn't stand on a picket line to get you some ill concieved, poorly designed combo jobs. Rydulap stood on the line because Ron Carey told him UPS was going to try to steal their pension. 10 years later Carey is disgraced and we are still trying to fix the pensions.
Can't we all just get along. There's enough pie to make us all fat and giggly.