central dispatch

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I think the rocket means dispatching at the center level will now be done higher up. Might as well, the center team are already puppets.

rocket man

I MEANT THEY ARE GONNNA DISPATCH PKG CAR ROUTES FROM ONE LOCATION . inSTEAD of having each center have there own dispatcher.

menotyou

bella amicizia
They do at my center when the local dispatcher is on vaca. No one complains those days like they do when 'it' is dispatched locally. Besides, the DM tells them to cut cars on the 7am conference call, anyway. Save the dime. It would be a godsend at my center. center manager works covering 2 buildings, no more dispatcher;tell what is bad about that?

One less person to grieve touching packages. One less body to run off misloads. One less sup working to make those imaginary numbers fit the plan. Bonus!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Everybody complains about their dispatch anyway so it might as well be consolidated. Same results (everyone complaining), less cost.

and thats what its all about..only good thing the one at fault for horrific dispatches may be on the corporate level

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I think the whole dispatch should be done by the great minds in Atlanta.

They know all, I am sure they know my route much better then anyone in my building.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Everybody complains about their dispatch anyway so it might as well be consolidated. Same results (everyone complaining), less cost.

We wouldnt complain about our dispatches if you didnt keep fu%king them up. Its not rocket science. My building has been in operation for a quarter of a century now, and has run something like 7500 daily preload/dispatch operations during that time frame. All of the information that is needed to run the operation successfully is readily available. There arent any secrets left. All that is missing...is a willingess on the part of management to use that information to make the right choices. Instead we chase impossible numbers and run the business based upon wishful thinking and denial.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We wouldnt complain about our dispatches if you didnt keep fu%king them up. Its not rocket science. My building has been in operation for a quarter of a century now, and has run something like 7500 daily preload/dispatch operations during that time frame. All of the information that is needed to run the operation successfully is readily available. There arent any secrets left. All that is missing...is a willingess on the part of management to use that information to make the right choices. Instead we chase impossible numbers and run the business based upon wishful thinking and denial.
"P_r_e_ could friend*c* up a w*t dream!" is a quote from the former dispatcher about the current dispatcher.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Since there seems to be nothing I can do or say about my dispatch, I just put on my happy face and thank them for the extra $8k I made last year and the less family time they have awarded me. And then it will end up being the day that I run scratch that they do a V-OJS on me and ask me why I spent an extra 13 nanoseconds here and an extra 19 nanoseconds there.

onewithedd

Come on everybody, we've only been in business just over 100 years. Give them some time.

I was talking to another driver and an out of town Chief of State came up, and the other driver started questioning him about her dispatch and he told her "that's why I'm here, to fix the problems" I said "you've had over a hundred years to fix the problems and it just gets worse". He got pi**ed off and started calling us a bunch of thieves. (meaning everyone in our center runs way over and we are stealing time) I just walked off. Such arrogance.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I used to dispatch and it is not that hard. Before computers, before pas, I could send out 30 plus trucks with no problems, if I had too amny under 8 hrs, I would get my a** chewed, the next day, so I kept track. In about a week we were within 100% , 0 under 8, 0 over 9.5. And I was a ptimer. And no my ftimer didnt make the plan, I did.
So it isnt that it is that hard, it is that the amount that used to be measured at 8 hours, now appears to be 6.5. This would be 1984-1992. And with the numbers having been ruined, and made meaningless, no one has the ability to know how to level things out. So the drivers do. This is how long it took, and I did my solid best.