Central States Pension Reduction Plan Letter announces Cuts - October 2015

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This was a bad situation. It was only possible to make changes when congress and the senate passed the omnibus. Changes couldn't be made till this crap budget was passed and signed into law by Obama. The GOP would all be for bailing out the mortgage industry and credit card companies but older Americans who should be covered not so much. I hate the GOP. These good union members deserved better.
If I were y'all I'd hate the Demoncrats.
They tell you they love you and sell you down the river.
I guess blind loyalty will do that to one.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I received a letter from the Central States Pension Fund detailing how I would be affected by the "Proposed Reduction Benefits" enhancement.
Hopefully, everyone will get one of these so they know exactly how they are affected.
I would suggest not posting exactly how yours was reduced or how much it was or how much it was reduced.
You have more to fear from the Teamsters if you do than from UPS.

P700slave

So what does everyone think about the raping that the union is laying on us with the proposed pensions cuts? I have one prediction. If they let the UPS employees take that kind of reduction in pay after killing ourselves our whole life, because of the financial idiocy of other companies, our union days are very short lived. They will fold from lack of membership. You can bank on that.

Ms.PacMan

Everyone's thoughts ?
We know that the tier 3 transfer group is only made up of upsers who are still working or worked beyond 2008 and went into the new pension and have a guarantee. It seems that pension cuts not to exceed 40% is hardly a carve out. It's nearly as high as the tier 2 cuts.

I don't get what all the fuss was, about the carve out addition in the act.

upschuck

UPS people that retired before 2008 are supposed to be the last cut. UPS people retiring after 2008 get $0 cut because UPS is to make up the difference. The key to that is to keep that provision in the contract.

oldngray

nowhere special
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1

We know that the tier 3 transfer group is only made up of upsers who are still working or worked beyond 2008 and went into the new pension and have a guarantee. It seems that pension cuts not to exceed 40%, is hardly a carve out. It's nearly as high as the tier 2 cuts.

I don't get what all the fuss was about the carve out addition in the act.

It looks to me like Central States cut the tier 3 UPS Teamsters by the same amount as others, but then are using UPS agreement to make up the difference.

I agree with you about the carve out. The way I understood it was the pension plan wouldn't be able to make cuts that way but it looks like they did it anyway to force UPS to pay.

The plan still has to be reviewed and OK'ed and the changes are not effective until July 2016. The Feds may not approve the plan as proposed.

Ms.PacMan

like 1400 amonth
I don't think it will be as high as the max at 50% because the retirees who once worked for an orphan company but now work for another contributing employer will have those work credits from the orphan co. reduced to 110% of the pbgc guarantee and their current employer credits reduced by a different amount.

That will leave more money to be split amount retirees who never worked for an orphan company.

Ms.PacMan

It looks to me like Central States cut the tier 3 UPS Teamsters by the same amount as others, but then are using UPS agreement to make up the difference.

I agree with you about the carve out. The way I understood it was the pension plan wouldn't be able to make cuts that way but it looks like they did it anyway to force UPS to pay.

The plan still has to be reviewed and OK'ed and the changes are not effective until July 2016. The Feds may not approve the plan as proposed.

It makes me wonder if UPS will fight the proposal or lobby against it - or did they okay it as a way to help pre 2008 retirees?

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS people that retired before 2008 are supposed to be the last cut. UPS people retiring after 2008 get $0 cut because UPS is to make up the difference. The key to that is to keep that provision in the contract.

There was also something about Teamsters from orphan plans with at least 20 years of credit would have some protection also. I didn't pay a lot of attention since it didn't apply to me but that was something I hadn't heard before.

upschuck

There was also something about Teamsters from orphan plans with at least 20 years of credit would have some protection also. I didn't pay a lot of attention since it didn't apply to me but that was something I hadn't heard before.
Just because they have credit, doesn't mean their company paid for those credits. Correct?

oldngray

nowhere special
It makes me wonder if UPS will fight the proposal or lobby against it - or did they okay it as a way to help pre 2008 retirees?

My main concern is if UPS ends paying more than they feel they should since they already paid their full liability they may try to change it in future contracts.

P700slave

It all looks so gray to me. Looks like so much room for interpretation. I guess I just expect people to do what they say their gonna do.

Ms.PacMan

My main concern is if UPS ends paying more than they feel they should since they already paid their full liability they may try to change it in future contracts.

At some point I'd bet that they grandfather in cspf employees and make them whole but discontinue service pensions and switch entirely to the contributory pension with an "age out" and an early retirement option.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It all looks so gray to me. Looks like so much room for interpretation. I guess I just expect people to do what they say their gonna do.

...and they would if they had the funds available to do so.....the truth is the pension fund is broke and UPS did the right thing by taking care of their employees and retirees....