Central States Pension Reduction Plan Letter announces Cuts - October 2015

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It makes me wonder if UPS will fight the proposal or lobby against it - or did they okay it as a way to help pre 2008 retirees?
So far, UPS has "taken" care of the older United Parcel Service (pre-UPS) employees fairly decently.
We can only hope they support this and step up to the plate.
Anyone with a birthdate after 1963 can pretty much forget it (based on how they treated management).

P700slave

...and they would if they had the funds available to do so.....the truth is the pension fund is broke and UPS did the right thing by taking care of their employees and retirees....

Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying to learn. How exactly did they "take care" of us? What am I not getting?

upschuck

Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying to learn. How exactly did they "take care" of us? What am I not getting?
UPS bought out of the pension in the 2007 contract and put in a provision that what the union plan doesn't pay, that UPS will for those that worked under the new pension. They were looking out for their own.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
UPS people that retired before 2008 are supposed to be the last cut. UPS people retiring after 2008 get $0 cut because UPS is to make up the difference. The key to that is to keep that provision in the contract.

It is going to be difficult to keep that in the contract.

As the years go by, less and less employees will be affected by the CSPF.

Pretty soon, the employees with strictly a UPS pension will outnumber the employees with UPS and CSPF pension.

Will they fight to keep this protection in there even though it doesn't affect them?

oldngray

nowhere special

Pretty soon, the employees with strictly a UPS pension will outnumber the employees with UPS and CSPF pension.

Will they fight to keep this protection in there even though it doesn't affect them?

As it transitions to a strictly UPS pension it wouldn't cost either Central States or UPS much to anything to remain in the contract. I would think the union would want to keep it as a meaningless (and no cost) PR gesture.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny

I am totally fine with a ups pension plan. Ups is the only reason there is a teamsters union.

upschuck

Still better than what it would have been if they did not buy out of a failing fund.

P700slave

Well if UPS is covering my @ss, then why did I get a letter notifying me of them cutting my earned money per month so far, from 1725$ down to 530$?

Ms.PacMan

I'm a tier 3 employee, wonder how many of us there are?
If you click on the Summary Guide that Son of Sam posted (1st post) pg 4 gives a breakdown. 48,000 tier 3 out of 407,000 total participants.

Silly thing keeps changing four hundred seven thousand to anonymous?

10 point

Everyone's thoughts ?
can-stock-photo_csp7563185.jpg

Who you kidding ... you know you were a huge, huge Carey supporter.

But, you may be hitting a homer with this observation.
I was a 23years old during the strike. I liked picketing. I didn't know Ron Carey from Jim Carey back then. I was worried about getting friend up and sex with as many women as I could. Knowing what I know now I know Ron Carey screwed central states pension fund bad. He upped the pension for the election. It was political. For this I think he is responsible.

Last edited by a moderator:

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I was a 23years old during the strike. I liked picketing. I didn't know Ron Carey from Jim Carey back then. I was worried about getting friend up and sex with as many women as I could. Knowing what I know now I know Ron Carey screwed central states pension fund bad. He upped the pension for the election. It was political. For this I think he is responsible.
I hope everyone was polite and cordial while speaking to management on the picket line. Seems to be the trend lately.