Central States Rebellion Against Hoffa Begins this week!

804brown

Tim got him his job back at UPS after he was fired. At 804 all BAs are elected. They cannot go against their local bylaws. I think every local should adopt that.
Liam was hired as a "union rep" in Jan 2010. He was appointed as a BA in April 2011. He then ran with Tim's slate in Nov 2012 as a BA
Tim did not get his job back. An arbitrator ruled against Liam in Jan 2009. However, Liam continued to pay his union dues.

804brown

Why is Jairo running? He must be so happy and great full for Tim. He must be thanking him all the time. No?
Haven't heard that Jairo is on the slate. But he does feel obligated to Liam for how LIam fought for him in the office over the years and the of course pulling the walkout BECAUSE of Jairo. I understand that loyalty. But deep down he knows that Tim and the board got him and the 250 back.

10 point

If my memory is correct, the pension fund in 1997 had lost about 640 million bucks by Aug 1 and the company had the union by the throat by offering their "Last, best, and final offer" which included the $1000/mo increase..
Plus performance based wages based on production, safety, driver service failures and follow ups, and all these trumped up "quality" issues judged by management alone.

The strike took many by surprise and after two weeks people were getting concerned especially since the strike fund was drained quickly.

I believe Carey matched the increase to keep members close to retirement and others with weak spines from crossing the line.

It was a bad position for any of the hourly to be in but the increase could have and should have been modulated as funding levels fluctuated.

That's what I saw, right or wrong, but there were alot of variables involved with the decision.

There's greater insight to the whole situation at hand, I'm sure, but there was no easy answer with the checkmate position the union faced knowing the stress put upon the members and their families.

804brown

What about the 250? I don't hear one thank you to Tim. I did however see a room full of them thanking Sean and Hall.
First off, that room was not filled. Second, they were not speaking to the 250. Third, Hall and SOB were invited to speak to Tim's opposition slate 804 Members Strong and their followers. Fourth, it was a political visit, probably on our dime, because their little gathering was at the exact same time Tim was announcing his run for Intl President a few blocks away in front of a few hundred supporters.

10 point

Haven't heard that Jairo is on the slate. But he does feel obligated to Liam for how LIam fought for him in the office over the years and the of course pulling the walkout BECAUSE of Jairo. I understand that loyalty. But deep down he knows that Tim and the board got him and the 250 back.
Let's not forget the firings and alleged harassment issues were broadcasted on national news stations and we all know that bad, really bad PR, is a big no no with large companies.

It was heating up and the City was livid about the firings.
Image was being scrutinized.
People were militant at high levels.

Hofficer Hater

Let's not forget the firings and alleged harassment issues were broadcasted on national news stations and we all know that bad, really bad PR, is a big no no with large companies.

It was heating up and the City was livid about the firings.
Image was being scrutinized.
People were militant at high levels.

They had the NYPD giving traffic tickets to every truck parking on a red until the 250 got their jobs back, the city also threatened to terminate their contract with UPS and go with FedEx if they didn't give the 250 jobs back. Tim was instrumental in getting the entire city to support them and made the company look really bad.

10 point

They had the NYPD giving traffic tickets to every truck parking on a red until the 250 got their jobs back, the city also threatened to terminate their contract with UPS and go with FedEx if they didn't give the 250 jobs back. Tim was instrumental in getting the entire city to support them and made the company look really bad.
I saw that video with Tim and the city council.

They were hacked!

Don't screw with their drivers because we are family to our customers.

"Some" never seem to get that in their minds from 1997 until the present.

10 point

Weren't other shippers threatening to stop shipping and divert their volume if their drivers didn't get their jobs back immediately?

Last edited: