Central states-what happens when???

oldngray

nowhere special
Teamsters: Call the White House at 202-456-1414 and tell President Obama to protect Teamster pensions and stop supporting the CR-omnibus bill.

Obama hasn't done a thing yet for the Teamsters after they supported getting him elected. He only cares about what can help him now and promises for the future. There are too many earmarks for Obama supporters in that bill for him to ever go against it. He will just throw the Teamsters under the bus. Again.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The government can bail out banks and corporations, but not pension funds for the working man?
What would be a more worthy entity?
You've got to be kidding me.

The bailouts they made were a mistake. I prefer they don't continue to make the same mistakes.

rod

Retired 22 years

The bailouts they made were a mistake. I prefer they don't continue to make the same mistakes.

Same old BS----lets cut Social Security--lets cut Veterans programs-- What do you mean we can't cut welfare programs. I figure its about time the Government did something for a person who actually worked for a living. If it takes bailing out the little guys pension programs so be it. It would be a drop in the bucket to what was given to Wall Street after the last bust. Lord knows the fat cats have been bailed out many times. Brownslave you must believe that your Pension is safe just because you are still working. I hate to burst your bubble but its not--neither is your Social Security. (neither are any of your investments). It could all go south over night.

Brownslave688

Same old BS----lets cut Social Security--lets cut Veterans programs-- What do you mean we can't cut welfare programs. I figure its about time the Government did something for a person who actually worked for a living. If it takes bailing out the little guys pension programs so be it. It would be a drop in the bucket to what was given to Wall Street after the last bust. Lord knows the fat cats have been bailed out many times. Brownslave you must believe that your Pension is safe just because you are still working. I hate to burst your bubble but its not--neither is your Social Security. (neither are any of your investments). It could all go south over night.
And if it all goes south we all have more to worry about than how much money we have.

I don't plan on having a pension or SS. They are both set up to fail and working on borrowed time. If I have both of those awesome that'll be play money.

Brownslave688

Or they could cut back on giving billions to countries that hate us. Maybe also ease up on funding studies on why cow :censored2: stinks or the sex life of frogs.
Heard a good one yesterday. Men are more attractEd to women who wear heels.

No :censored2:? Maybe cause 400 lbs heifers don't often wear heels. And when one has on heels she's usually done all up.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Kidding???
I'd say more like being facetious.
Some of the bailouts were ridiculous, while other like the auto industry were prudent.
If I remember right, GM and Chrysler paid that money back?

It is simply unfair, in every sense, to take away an "government insured" benefit earned by a retiree during a lifetime of labor; while entitlements are doled out so freely.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Or they could cut back on giving billions to countries that hate us. Maybe also ease up on funding studies on why cow :censored2: stinks or the sex life of frogs.
Perhaps they could put off sending probes to Mars until they figure out how to balance the budget and take care of things on earth?

bbsam

Staff member
How about they just live up to the promises made? Hell, raise taxes you have to. Simply walking away? How is that right?

rod

Retired 22 years
Heard a good one yesterday. Men are more attractEd to women who wear heels.

No :censored2:? Maybe cause 400 lbs heifers don't often wear heels. And when one has on heels she's usually done all up.

That one sounds like one of the cheaper ones. Probably only set us back a few hundred thousand.

kingOFchester

And if it all goes south we all have more to worry about than how much money we have.

I don't plan on having a pension or SS. They are both set up to fail and working on borrowed time. If I have both of those awesome that'll be play money.

Not even our IRA's and 401k's safe. The government could even take that away at some point. For the good of the people.

oldngray

nowhere special
Not even our IRA's and 401k's safe. The government could even take that away at some point. For the good of the people.

The government already changed the rules on IRA's a couple of years after they were introduced because people were saving too much (non taxed) money. That was what pushed most people into 401k's instead.

kingOFchester

Yep. Although I think that's a really risky thing to do. You likely be looking at a revolt.

Problem is, most americans don't have much in retirement accounts. The few that revolt will be a small percentage. Long term market crash and there won't be money for SS. Take the personal retirement accounts to fund SS. Those relying on SS will be the majority and happy to take away everything we worked and saved for.

Likely hood, not much. But always a possibility.

Brownslave688

Problem is, most americans don't have much in retirement accounts. The few that revolt will be a small percentage. Long term market crash and there won't be money for SS. Take the personal retirement accounts to fund SS. Those relying on SS will be the majority and happy to take away everything we worked and saved for.

Likely hood, not much. But always a possibility.
All the more reason maybe I should listen to the wife. Retirement plan live on an offshore island country. Lol