CEO compensation

AKCoverMan

It was an excellent quarter. The company was bright enough to spend money on making sure we had enough people and equipment to handle peak this year. The extra spending cut into the profits but we still made a three billion dollar profit in 2014.

We could have not spent so much and fell on our keister again like last peak when Amazon opened the floodgates.. with no service guarantee in effect all the service failures are still money in the bank so we could have put a better profit number up by not spending as much. We chose not to and I think that was right thing to do.

We handled a record number of packages in the quarter. Revenue is flowing into the company like mad. And average pieces per day keeps going up quarter after quarter. Every quarter.

So the Wall Street sky-is-falling stories about our "disappointing" fourth quarter are just writers looking for something to write about and any big price dip in the stock is simply a good time to buy.

rod

Retired 22 years
I get a kick out of all these CEO's who under-perform / run a company into the ground or end up moving on because of some big scandal. They all get out with their pockets lined with money/stock no matter what kind of job they have done. I especially cringe when the employees of those companies have taken deep cuts after the "brass" has cried that things aren't going good. Then they turn around and give themselves all big bonuses. There for awhile you read about it every week. As far as I'm concerned they should have been brought before a firing squad. Sure it takes a special person to be a CEO---one who can pretend to be concerned about a company--- while laughing all the way to the bank.

clean hairy

Gone are the days of the good CEO's
In the 70's (between 1973 and 1978? man, you can tell I am ancient!) was a Chrysler issue that cars were being driven by Executives for several thousand miles, new Odometers would be put in, they would be sent off to the Dealers lots and sold as new.
It was discovered when Customers would take delivery of their "new" cars, and the oil was dirty, and the air filter had stuff that would not present in a new car air filter.
Lee Iacocca (the CEO) himself got in front of the media, admitted wrongdoing had ocurred, and vowed to make sure those responsible would be dealt with, and it would not happen again.
In todays world, you have some low level, low paid "Spokesperson"
speaking to the media.
Even when the Automakers were panhandling the Gov't for $ to stay in Business, I do not recall any CEO's being present.

Brown Note

It was an excellent quarter. The company was bright enough to spend money on making sure we had enough people and equipment to handle peak this year. The extra spending cut into the profits but we still made a three billion dollar profit in 2014.

We could have not spent so much and fell on our keister again like last peak when Amazon opened the floodgates.. with no service guarantee in effect all the service failures are still money in the bank so we could have put a better profit number up by not spending as much. We chose not to and I think that was right thing to do.

We handled a record number of packages in the quarter. Revenue is flowing into the company like mad. And average pieces per day keeps going up quarter after quarter. Every quarter.

So the Wall Street sky-is-falling stories about our "disappointing" fourth quarter are just writers looking for something to write about and any big price dip in the stock is simply a good time to buy.

Agreed..wall st is worried about investor return. They dont care if it's from cutting your work force's throat, charging the customer more and offering less etc etc. That to wall st is something they applaud.

What this ceo did was reinvest a chunk of profits back to the company which benefits us and the company.....just not wall st.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I get a kick out of all these CEO's who under-perform / run a company into the ground or end up moving on because of some big scandal. They all get out with their pockets lined with money/stock no matter what kind of job they have done. I especially cringe when the employees of those companies have taken deep cuts after the "brass" has cried that things aren't going good. Then they turn around and give themselves all big bonuses. There for awhile you read about it every week. As far as I'm concerned they should have been brought before a firing squad. Sure it takes a special person to be a CEO---one who can pretend to be concerned about a company--- while laughing all the way to the bank.
images

This book is quite popular among the upper-business class. That's how screwed up the world is.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A native of Greenwood, Miss., Abney earned a bachelor's degree in business administration from Delta State University. He serves on the Board of Directors of the Delta State University Alumni Foundation. He and his wife, Sherry, sponsor the school’s annual symposium on international business.

It's amazing where politics , connections and etc. can get you with a mediocre college degree.

beentheredonethat

Copied from seeking alpha

• The total compensation package for UPS (NYSE:UPS) CEO David Abney rose 104.9% to $8.4M in 2014.
• The bulk of the increased pay for the exec was in stock awards.
• Changes in the company's long-term compensation plan also factored in.

Must be nice to under perform the 4th quarter and get a hell of a bonus.

Sent using BrownCafe App

The 104.9% increase is missing information. If this was a CEO who was a CEO in prior years, then that would have been a very large increase. However, this person was promoted to the CEO job and he basically got a similar pay as what the prior CEO earned. Although the statement is correct it is misleading without all the information.

jaker

trolling
My question is why do you care , we all know they make a ton of money so why post it

As long as my paycheck doesn't bounce I don't care how much he makes

Overpaid Union Thug

My question is why do you care , we all know they make a ton of money so why post it

As long as my paycheck doesn't bounce I don't care how much he makes
We should care because we have a highly educated and extremely well compensated individual that thinks ORION works. That is a problem. I still can't understand why any of his subordinates down the chain thinks that ORION works either. The only people that should require a little convincing are those that have little or no driving experience. But that is not that case. That is not a good.

beentheredonethat

The DIAD was a failure when it first came out per many drivers. Pas was a failure also when it first came out per many drivers. To an extent they were correct but the technology improved greatly. ORION will get better and better. I see a contract soon where UPS will believe and maybe correctly that with all the technology we can train new drivers quickly. Ups will want a lower top end wage for new drivers. That is the reason for majority of technology investments in my opinion.

Overpaid Union Thug

The DIAD was a failure when it first came out per many drivers. Pas was a failure also when it first came out per many drivers. To an extent they were correct but the technology improved greatly. ORION will get better and better. I see a contract soon where UPS will believe and maybe correctly that with all the technology we can train new drivers quickly. Ups will want a lower top end wage for new drivers. That is the reason for majority of technology investments in my opinion.
ORION will never get better. For it to work requires a near perfect load in a truck with a clear walk path through the middle from front to back. But what we usually have is a crappy load in a bulked out truck. And many routes were like that before ORION. And those that weren't have been made that way due to unrealistic expectations for ORION.

AT BEST ORION is an expensive tool that merely tells a driver with area knowledge to do something they would have come up with on their own in their mind without the aid of a multimillion dollar program. Its an epic fail and an even bigger epic waste of money. And our CEO not only disagrees but thinks ORION is going to bring back those lost profits from peak season.

beentheredonethat

AT BEST ORION is an expensive tool that merely tells a driver with area knowledge to do something they would have come up with on their own in their mind without the aid of a multimillion dollar program. Its an epic fail and an even bigger epic waste of money. And our CEO not only disagrees but thinks ORION is going to bring back those lost profits from peak season.
I think the goal is to tell a driver (WITHOUT) area knowledge to do something that a driver with area knowledge would have come up with on their own. This gives UPS an easy way to hire new drivers and give them that knowledge electronically. I guess we can agree to disagree, and see what happens next contract. I'm guessing a 2 tier wage that UPS will not back down from. Next time, UPS will be a lot smarter about publicity and tell people what UPS drivers make and their benefits and what the competitors make. Then say we offered to keep current drivers at existing rates and new employees at the rate of competitors. I don't think majority of public will put a lot of sympathy in UPS drivers that make more then they do. (For most, a lot more)

Overpaid Union Thug

I think the goal is to tell a driver (WITHOUT) area knowledge to do something that a driver with area knowledge would have come up with on their own. This gives UPS an easy way to hire new drivers and give them that knowledge electronically. I guess we can agree to disagree, and see what happens next contract. I'm guessing a 2 tier wage that UPS will not back down from. Next time, UPS will be a lot smarter about publicity and tell people what UPS drivers make and their benefits and what the competitors make. Then say we offered to keep current drivers at existing rates and new employees at the rate of competitors. I don't think majority of public will put a lot of sympathy in UPS drivers that make more then they do. (For most, a lot more)

And there is the disconnect between the upper management fantasy, making decisions off of reports, world and the drivers (and even some on car sups and managers with driving experience) that actually run the routes. You can't stick a new driver on a route and expect them to figure out how to run an ORION route effectively without area knowledge. In fact, most of of us that have area knowledge are still struggling in the bigger sprawling areas and dense neighborhoods because ORION is either so ineffective or random day to day, or both, that we end up entering those areas and can't figure out where the hell we are are supposed to go next. Let alone our next 5, 10, 15 stops. To accomplish that you have to stop and map out those stops where before ORION we just followed a predetermined route and adjusted based on our area knowledge.

Plus, ORION asks us to do dangerous tasks in order to save just 1/10 of a mile. Throw in the fact that ORION has so many flaws in it's "solutions" that even the ORION people are left scratching their heads. All of these problems just end up putting a driver in the position where they either have to spend allot of time idling while trying to figure out where to go next or just abandoning ORION for EDD and getting done allot sooner. And even if a new driver could figure out ORION all I can say is good luck while trying to find that next stop in the middle of that bulked out truck. They'll run 2 hour over the "plan" but at least they saved 5$ in gas!

At this point ORION is just an excuse to cut routes and keep bonus babies from running up their miles and corporate is telling half the truth when talking up ORION. The other half they are leaving out is that, even though they saved 500 miles last week, their paid day metric more than erased any monetary savings that resulted from that 500 mile cut.

And your theory about the public not having any sympathy for drivers because of our pay would probably be for not once the general public notices how late all of our drivers are having to work because of ORION. I normally take the approach that our pay and benefits is one of those things that is debatable but when it comes to ORION I believe that even the most ant-union outsider would probably find themselves re-evaluating that stance towards UPS drivers once they see the havoc ORION is causing on UPS drivers' family and personal lives.

Just saying.....

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I don't think majority of public will put a lot of sympathy in UPS drivers that make more then they do. (For most, a lot more)
Let's see the majority of the public drive and deliver in a P-1000 that has 140 stops and 350 pieces (not loaded correctly) and 25 pick ups that UPS rates as an 8.5 day.

Let's see how many of the PUBLIC comes back for a 2nd day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The average American would have zero sympathy for us if they knew how much we make and the level of benefits that we have and couldn't care less how many hours we have to work each day.

In 1997 our local newspaper wrote a story about the strike which included very accurate compensation figures. It did not sit well with a lot of people then and would receive even less support today.