CEO compensation

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
The average American would have zero sympathy for us if they knew how much we make and the level of benefits that we have and couldn't care less how many hours we have to work each day.

In 1997 our local newspaper wrote a story about the strike which included very accurate compensation figures. It did not sit well with a lot of people then and would receive even less support today.
And I care about the public sympathy, why?

Maybe the problem in the US is not that WE are over paid.

But most of the working class is UNDER PAID.

beentheredonethat

Let's see the majority of the public drive and deliver in a P-1000 that has 140 stops and 350 pieces (not loaded correctly) and 25 pick ups that UPS rates as an 8.5 day.

Let's see how many of the PUBLIC comes back for a 2nd day.
It's not about who could or couldn't do the job. It's doesn't matter how many would last a day or two days or whatever number. It's about the vast majority of people in the US do not make as much as a UPS driver (esp if you include only those working a blue collar job.) All they need to know is what they make and what a UPS driver makes. The majority won't have sympathy for a person who makes may more then they do being on strike. The last strike, UPS was stupid and did a very poor job marketing to the population. They won't make that mistake twice.

Overpaid Union Thug

It's not about who could or couldn't do the job. It's doesn't matter how many would last a day or two days or whatever number. It's about the vast majority of people in the US do not make as much as a UPS driver (esp if you include only those working a blue collar job.) All they need to know is what they make and what a UPS driver makes. The majority won't have sympathy for a person who makes may more then they do being on strike. The last strike, UPS was stupid and did a very poor job marketing to the population. They won't make that mistake twice.

UPS is screwed if there is another strike. Yes, they could replace everyone of us and toss the replacements a DIAD and say "Here ya go.....just follow ORION and run off all your stops and you'll do fine" but do you think those replacements are going to work until 8:30 (or later) every night with no insurance or pension and having to work at twice the pace as we do now without having time for a lunch break? I think not. The general public will see UPS for what they really are. No amount of clever marketing will be able to cover that up. The only thing keeping UPS in check right now is the Teamsters. They have gotten weaker and weaker over the years but without them UPS would slowly but surely drop from their current market share to less of what the three FedEx operations are getting now. You can count on that. ORION could never save UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And I care about the public sympathy, why?

Maybe the problem in the US is not that WE are over paid.

But most of the working class is UNDER PAID.

There is some logic and truth to that but then everything we purchase and pay for will cost more so the net effect would be to bring the underpaid (large group) buying power up a little bit while pulling down the buying power of the overpaid (small group) down considerably.

realbrown1

There is some logic and truth to that but then everything we purchase and pay for will cost more so the net effect would be to bring the underpaid (large group) buying power up a little bit while pulling down the buying power of the overpaid (small group) down considerably.
The working people at the bottom are getting screwed.

And yet CEO'S have never done better.

realbrown1

They are the one's making it happen ... let 'em go for it and enjoy the ride.
I only have 1 small problem with that.

They are not helping the working poor any by paying slave wages.

And if they won't do it voluntarily, friend them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I only have 1 small problem with that.

They are not helping the working poor any by paying slave wages.

And if they won't do it voluntarily, friend them.
Exactly my approach too!

I say or think "friend them" a hundred times a day.

I just don't get my panties in a wad when I can't do anything about it.

realbrown1

Exactly my approach too!

I say or think "friend them" a hundred times a day.

I just don't get my panties in a wad when I can't do anything about it.
This issue is 1 of the few times I favor governmental intervention.

Keep raising the minimum wage until a person can work a full time job and not need governmental assistance.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This issue is 1 of the few times I favor governmental intervention.

Keep raising the minimum wage until a person can work a full time job and not need governmental assistance.
That or eliminate government assistance (which is the root of many problems in the USA today).