CEO - Davis out, Abney In

beentheredonethat

I'm hoping with an operations guy in charge, that he will realize it's important to have on road's who have driven (more then just a token 30 days). To do that, the salary of supvs and mgrs should increase. I hope he brings back the partnership and change the MIP to what it used to be. I doubt that will happen, but it is a hope.

Floridacargocat

An Operations person in charge of the company does understand the myriad opportunities to physically move a box from A to B. Nevertheless, this transaction is governed by numbers and standards in order to remain a profitable enterprise, and he will not change this. A good Operations person understands the needs of marketing as well as finance and needs to communicate effectively with the other side of the table (Union). And now he has to deal with the expectations of the Financial Community (investors, Wall street), and there lies the greatest challenge for him. What he will say (and mean) will not always come back (in form of publications) the way he really meant it.
Good luck.

hangin455

This is very different handover of power in that Davis remains Chairman of the Board. It seems to me Abney gets to deal with the day to day struggles but I am wondering how much authority he would have to make any real changes to Management work hours or compensation. I'm pretty sure the status quo will remain. The only thing i see changing is in adding some capacity in the network (more drivers, sorters and facility capacity) to deal with BtoC volume spikes.

bagpipes

I figured part of the reason for Davis staying on as Chairman was to allow Dave to focus more on peak; traditionally the CEOs changeover on Jan 1st. Due to the increased focus on capacity and peak planning, and new operations IT, it makes sense.

Do you think SD's and DA's decision-making has independence from BoD oversight, changing market and customer trends, rising costs of business and Wall St expectations? I'd like to think individual experience shapes decision-making, but the fact is our world is changing rapidly, and at the C-level, they are judged on how well they can lead an organization to adapt to this change (as evidenced on financial statements).

Meaning, I don't think we will see significant change in the near future, STRICTLY due to DA's ops background.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I figured part of the reason for Davis staying on as Chairman was to allow Dave to focus more on peak; traditionally the CEOs changeover on Jan 1st. Due to the increased focus on capacity and peak planning, and new operations IT, it makes sense.

Do you think SD's and DA's decision-making has independence from BoD oversight, changing market and customer trends, rising costs of business and Wall St expectations? I'd like to think individual experience shapes decision-making, but the fact is our world is changing rapidly, and at the C-level, they are judged on how well they can lead an organization to adapt to this change (as evidenced on financial statements).

Meaning, I don't think we will see significant change in the near future, STRICTLY due to DA's ops background.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Hope he does better than last year! I miss one package,they want my head! He misses millions and gets a bonus....go figure!...lmao

Yankfan

I don't have any special insight but this is the way I see it. I don't think there will be much of a change. Abney may have an operations background but is too far removed from that background to be familiar with multiple issues that exist at the front line. The disconnect that has the decision makers thinking that all is well because the share price continues to rise in the short term and front-line where moral continues to deteriorate quickly and production/quality suffers because our inability to attract quality talent will continue to widen.

I also don't trust the fact that Abney was sitting right beside Davis in all those videos on UPSers.com feeding us bull&*^%. My personal favorite was the video where they attempted to spin/justify our low MIP, in a year where they were telling wall street we had record profits. The fact that they even tried to sell that crap to everyone was embarrassing and is something I won't ever forget. Trust is something that takes a long time to build and just a moment to shatter and for many people in this company that video was that moment.

Bottom line is this is a change in name only - nothing changes.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I don't see DA being any different than SD. In other words don't expect anything more than what you have already. In fact expect more work with less resources, compensation, benefits, etc.