CEO wants UPS and FedEx out of business

FTBrown

I've got 2 of those car wash brushes and a hundred feet of top quality rubber hose that I rescued from the UPS dumpster the day before we were to have a big audit. The dumpsters were full of treasures the week before that fiasco.

We had a driver get fired for taking stuff out of the dumpster. It was deemed ups property and he was discharged for stealing.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had a driver get fired for taking stuff out of the dumpster. It was deemed ups property and he was discharged for stealing.

I hope he got his job back. Its been through the courts many times that once its thrown away its fair game. I should be serving a life sentence then for all the treasures I've rescued from the UPS dumpster.:-)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One could argue that perhaps he put the stuff there for the sole purpose of retrieving it later, hence the stealing.

To me, once it is in the dumpster, UPS has relinquished any rights they may have had to ti.

bbsam

Staff member
I have a good friend who is a dumpster diver and he's constantly run off from dumpsters. Not sure they've relinquished rights or not but cops seem to think h3 needs to move along.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a good friend who is a dumpster diver and he's constantly run off from dumpsters. Not sure they've relinquished rights or not but cops seem to think h3 needs to move along.

I deliver to a college housing complex and it is not uncommon to see someone dumpster diving when I am there making my deliveries.

I wonder if they could sue the property owner if they got hurt, much like burglars suing homeowners when they get hurt breaking in to their homes.

On a side note, the college kids are on break and the "bottle boys" have been having a field day digging through their garbage.

alwaysoverallowed

I hope he got his job back. Its been through the courts many times that once its thrown away its fair game. I should be serving a life sentence then for all the treasures I've rescued from the UPS dumpster.:-)
Yup that's how it is here once it's in a dumpster, unless it's lock, it is considered abandoned even on private property.

FTBrown

He was a senior driver covering the porter job for the week. There was a damaged case of wine in the dumpster with four bottles not broken. He helped himself and was walked off the property and never seen again. Ups dumpster, ups garbage.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He was a senior driver covering the porter job for the week. There was a damaged case of wine in the dumpster with four bottles not broken. He helped himself and was walked off the property and never seen again. Ups dumpster, ups garbage.

Yeah, you can't do that----that was stupid.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I deliver to a college housing complex and it is not uncommon to see someone dumpster diving when I am there making my deliveries.

I wonder if they could sue the property owner if they got hurt, much like burglars suing homeowners when they get hurt breaking in to their homes.

On a side note, the college kids are on break and the "bottle boys" have been having a field day digging through their garbage.

Isn't that how you got your 'patio set'?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Isn't that how you got your 'patio set'?

You mean the one that the homeowner had put out by the street with the FREE sign taped to the table? The one that I Googled and found out retails for over $200? The one that I threw in the back of the pkg car and put on my deck all while on the clock? Yeah, that's the one.

upschuck

Must of had a senior moment.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
We had a 30+ year feeder guy lose his job for taking flowers out of the dumpster.