CES questions for feeder drivers

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
Your centers are making it too dificult on you. We have to do ours every month. They like it to be done the first week of the month. We can do it whenever we want and we only have to do it once a month. Most wait and on friday if they have say 30 to 40 minutes before their 60 is up they will do it just to get a little closer to that cutoff time.:wink:

ducky13swing

Well to add my two cents, our hub is dedicated to safety. We shut down the sort to have a safety PCM in the middle of it, which we call MCM. We do the MCM because of the staggered start times throughout the building. The MCM is scheduled for after the last stagger clock in time. This is a NDA sort, not a ground sort.
We submit the quizzes to every employee, every month, without the answers present. Our employees complete the quizzes on the clock, and wrong answers are reviewed with the employees. During the MCM, we review the most commonly missed questions, along with other information.
We shut down the sort when there is a safety concern or when a belt is being hammered.
Our Management team attends the safety committee meeting and the CERC meeting to see what people are saying and address the concerns. Retaliation is never even brought up because it makes no sense to retaliate against someone who is asking for help to resolve a safety concern.
So for those who do not have a strong safety culture in their building, I'm here to say that it is not common all over UPS. Some people believe in the rules and practice the rules daily.
I am not saying people do not get injured here, there are some things that the methods do not cover. There are freak accidents. Yes, some people do not beieve in the methods, thus they do not follow them. Those people are retrained and dealt with seriously.

Some food for thought.

rngri4

Hey 4

I dont recall any statement about if, whether, or any other wording about if management knows or not. What I was commenting on was their attitude toward their training of hourly, Obiously which is something you dont have a clue about.

So if you will kindly re-read my post.......

One of the things that I have begun to realize that is missing is the top down leadership that has been a cornerstone of our company for the last 85-95 years. Leading by example has never been something that has led this company in the wrong direction. When you see things like integrity, honesty, and other attributes that used to be valued above all else, falling by the wayside, it makes you wonder what the hell is going on at the top.

Yeah I know, when you find the number fudgers, you get rid of them. Right? Well, some you do, and some you dont. Some get promoted. It all depends.

The integrity and devotion to safety in the management ranks can usually be honestly reflected in the safety picture of that center. When management no longer is interested in making the monthly quiz a learning tool, but instead just treat it as a "well we gotta do it to please OSHA and corp safety" then the hourly pick up on that attitude and devote just as much concern over the issue as the management team that "teaches" it. Which from what I have seen in several centers is not much at all. It would seem they devote more time and energy, not to mention creativity, to where lunch will be today once all the drivers are dispatched.

You want the drivers to tackle safety in the serious manner you want, then you need to be serious about teaching it.

Also, you really have to fail ketter to get in trouble.

When you have ketter come to the center and find people walking on belts, handling a blood covered damage spill without any protective gear, and on and on, and no one gets more than a bitching at?

Give me a break!

d

Ok, here in our center management provides the actual inital training, then it is up to an HOURLY, who is the head of the safety committee to ensure that CSA's and all training regarding to safety is completed every month. You argument, at least in our center, falls with an hourly, not a management person. We do initial habits and CSA's when people are hired, and they are given copies of all questions, it is then up to them to know these when they are questioned and trained the next month...by and HOURLY.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Here a good bit of the hourly leadership is curtailed by the management team. It would seem that the control fetish from the top will not allow hourly to train hourly in safety issues. So the task falls on the delivery sups.

Also, we did suggest that the "quizzes" be given either before start time (which would mean 95% of drivers over 9.5) or to allow us to finish them on our own. But the control issue is still the major factor.

The same control issue that was laid out in why management personnel are leaving in droves. Those above are not interested in any loosening of their grip on the centers under their control.

Oh sure, they give you all the speeches as to what you need to be doing, and that the center management team will allow the time for the CHSP team members to complete that vision, but then reality hits, and all those good ideas go out the window.

Hell, several nights I was out spreading absorbent on the oil spills inside the building....you know, all those large spills that can cause slips and falls? IT seems that I was the only one to see the problem. All I ever heard about was the time it took (less than 10 minutes a night).

So no, they dont want the hourly in charge of anything here.

Glad it works like it is designed in other areas though.

d BTW, over half of the people violating osha issues while ketter was here last were part time sups.

rngri4

Here a good bit of the hourly leadership is curtailed by the management team. It would seem that the control fetish from the top will not allow hourly to train hourly in safety issues. So the task falls on the delivery sups.

Also, we did suggest that the "quizzes" be given either before start time (which would mean 95% of drivers over 9.5) or to allow us to finish them on our own. But the control issue is still the major factor.

The same control issue that was laid out in why management personnel are leaving in droves. Those above are not interested in any loosening of their grip on the centers under their control.

Oh sure, they give you all the speeches as to what you need to be doing, and that the center management team will allow the time for the CHSP team members to complete that vision, but then reality hits, and all those good ideas go out the window.

Hell, several nights I was out spreading absorbent on the oil spills inside the building....you know, all those large spills that can cause slips and falls? IT seems that I was the only one to see the problem. All I ever heard about was the time it took (less than 10 minutes a night).

So no, they dont want the hourly in charge of anything here.

Glad it works like it is designed in other areas though.

d BTW, over half of the people violating osha issues while ketter was here last were part time sups.

I will agree 100 percent that some of our part time sup's are less than stellar, in fact most of ours were misload "kings and queens." Our safety chair takes his job very seriously though, and I applaud him for that, and in fact he and I are pretty good friends. Even though I am FT management, and he is an hourly, also a union steward at that, we get along very good, and I respect him for the serious approach he has for the safety of his fellow employees. We are very lucky, and I guess in some respect I wish I would see some of the same concern from some of our PT Sup's and even FT Sup's.