Chains on package car doors? What is the problem here?

Integrity

Binge Poster
To all package car drivers,

What's the deal?

A division manager reported in a Safety Committee meeting that he was observing vehicles leave the building and he observed 41% of the vehicles did not have the chain secured in the back.

Can anyone explain what would motivate someone to leave this unsecured?

Sincerely,
I

balland chain

What's the deal?

A division manager reported in a Safety Committee meeting that he was observing vehicles leave the building and he observed 41% of the vehicles did not have the chain secured in the back.

Sincerely,
I

Laziness !! No, absolutely no excuse for that.. Or they are not doing a proper pre trip.. I would always grab it and shake it so when I would get in the seat I knew it was secured.. Also did the same thing after last P/U.. With how they are now, we can not give them a reason to write us up...

Cementups

Box Monkey
I haven't chained my rear door but once in the 2.5 years I've had this trip with a roll down door. Especially since my mechanic informed me that there is now really no need for the rear door chain since you have the latch lever on the inside of the door keeping it closed as well as the keyless mechanism securing it down as well.

UPSmeoff

There is no worse feeling than getting to your next stop, opening the bulkhead door and seeing the back door open. It's happened to me twice. Once the roll up door popped open, and the once i forgot to shut the barn doors after making a delivery.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I've never once had a rollup door "come up" or "come open" on me ever so I don't feel a need for the chains on the current trucks with the current redundancy. I have however forgot to close rear barn doors several times while driving around on area.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

What's the deal?

Sincerely,
I
Disregarding the fact it's part of the pretrip, ask your source why doors equipped with keyless entry have two fail safe latches. After that ask him instead of observing drivers leaving without chains perhaps they could go inside and talk to your first responders you so dearly despise.

What's the deal?

Sincerely,
I
Lazy drivers who don't work by the methods.

There is no worse feeling than getting to your next stop, opening the bulkhead door and seeing the back door open. It's happened to me twice. Once the roll up door popped open, and the once i forgot to shut the barn doors after making a delivery.
I came off a hwy onto another. To see a driver in front of me with his barn doors open for 10 miles. When we came into the bldg. I was behind him and the look on his face when he opened his bulkhead door. It was priceless. He told me from his last stop to the bldg. was 35 miles. Lol crazy.