Chains on package car doors? What is the problem here?

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Not trying to pick a fight here...ok maybe because stupid **** really pisses me off.

If it is not safe leaving a building without the chain on then how is it safe to then leave the chain off for the next 10+ hours while out on area making deliveries? On one hand the door is not secure without a chain on it but then on the other hand the door is secure without it on. Are there some gremlins that are only outside every UPS building that attack the rear door?

Think about it and then get back to me please.

Integrity......this stupid crap needs to stop.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If it is not safe leaving a building without the chain on then how is it safe to then leave the chain off for the next 10+ hours while out on area making deliveries? On one hand the door is not secure without a chain on it but then on the other hand the door is secure without it on. Are there some gremlins that are only outside every UPS building that attack the rear door?

Generally the only time that we drive for any length of time is from the building to our first stop and from our last stop to the building.

You do make a good point. It wouldn't take that long to put the chain back on after making a bulk stop delivery. Since we are not supposed to walk through the package car to open the overhead door, it would make sense to keep the chain secured throughout the day. This is a good idea.

oldngray

nowhere special
There is no time study allowance for walking through your truck but if you back up to a dock of course it is easier to walk though your truck. Just don't do it when you are being time studied. You also only get an allowance for opening one door (bulkhead or rear) but not both.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Sometimes the chain gets wedged into the grate at the tail end of the car. You cant even kick it free, its stuck. This happens during the parking shift on midnight, because they are left unchained, door opened.

Btw, the back door weights in around 150-200 pounds with a spring to make opening and closing the door easy. I'd rather not chain the door then the spring giving out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sometimes the chain gets wedged into the grate at the tail end of the car. You cant even kick it free, its stuck. This happens during the parking shift on midnight, because they are left unchained, door opened.

This happens to me occasionally and I have always been able to kick it free.

Btw, the back door weights in around 150-200 pounds with a spring to make opening and closing the door easy. I'd rather not chain the door then the spring giving out.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Laziness !! No, absolutely no excuse for that.. Or they are not doing a proper pre trip.. I would always grab it and shake it so when I would get in the seat I knew it was secured.. Also did the same thing after last P/U.. With how they are now, we can not give them a reason to write us up...

Balland Chain is "right on the money" And It's not just that, The way they are now days. Excessive backing, car idling, recording during travel, I try and keep my butt off all reports. When I come in i try to avoid seeing their faces, grab your board, listen to the pcm, and get the friend*$% outa their. Really If you avoid interacting with sups it makes your day alot better.

JackStraw

Balland Chain is "right on the money" And It's not just that, The way they are now days. Excessive backing, car idling, recording during travel, I try and keep my butt off all reports. When I come in i try to avoid seeing their faces, grab your board, listen to the pcm, and get the friend*$% outa their. Really If you avoid interacting with sups it makes your day alot better.

Staying under the radar is a good way to make 30 years. I try to do the same thing.

NI1

Getting paid to chain your backdoor should not be a problem. I'll do all the methods and everytime I do that's most likely 1 stop less every 2 methods you follow. You get paid per hour no excuse to hurry up leaving the building and not chain your backdoor

rod

Retired 22 years
We always used our chain to secure the rear door,-------------------having said that I will also tell you the we never used the paddle lock (only upon leaving and returning to the building) and we always had a spare key left in the unlock position in the core lock---------------------------and the bulkhead door was always open in the summer and the trucks were left running all day in the winter so we could stay warn. I hear things are different now.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Talked with a driver today for a few seconds. He was trying to pull the chain out of the wedge with his fingers. I told him to stand back and watch, kicked it twice and it came free of the wedge, locked it. Guess you can teach an old dog a few new tricks.

UPSGUY72

Getting paid to chain your backdoor should not be a problem. I'll do all the methods and everytime I do that's most likely 1 stop less every 2 methods you follow. You get paid per hour no excuse to hurry up leaving the building and not chain your backdoor

From the wording you used it appears you aren't a driver yet. When you become one tell me how your theory works out. It takes about 2 seconds to chain a rear door as you doing your pre trip.

stink219

To all package car drivers,

What's the deal?

A division manager reported in a Safety Committee meeting that he was observing vehicles leave the building and he observed 41% of the vehicles did not have the chain secured in the back.

Can anyone explain what would motivate someone to leave this unsecured?

Sincerely,
I
Manager failed to inform that 59% of trucks have rear barn doors.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I see guys going down the interstate everyday with the door unchained. I followed one with the door bouncing open but I couldn't catch him. He exited in front of me and I could see a big pkg ready to fall out. Apparently it did as he was missing it. Came clean with mgmnt.

NI1

From the wording you used it appears you aren't a driver yet. When you become one tell me how your theory works out. It takes about 2 seconds to chain a rear door as you doing your pre trip.

Not sure what's wrong with my 'theory'. And no it doesn't take 2 sec to chain your back door especially when it is stuck........ Hired 93 yeah I don't know what I'm talking about