Chances of being kept after seasonal work?

I applied about a week ago online for a part time package handler position and go in for a tour this Monday. I'm assuming interviews will follow shortly after. I'm pretty confident I'll get the position given my work experience and demand of the holiday season. From what I've been told and researched this company has some pretty great benefits and opportunities for the people who want them. My main question is what are the chances of being kept around after the holiday season if you really work hard and show some effort in your time there. Thanks for the replies in advanced.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The job sucks and they don't pay newbies much anymore so, they quit left and right. Chances are good!

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Listen, work hard, and do your job and they'll probably keep you depending on their needs. The turnover is pretty crazy at times. So you may get lucky.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you can fog a mirror...you'll be hired for peak. Maybe they'll keep you, maybe they won't. Can't hurt to try.
large0.jpg

barnyard

KTM rider
If you can fog a mirror...you'll be hired for peak. Maybe they'll keep you, maybe they won't. Can't hurt to try.

last night on Sound Money, the commentator was doing a piece about FE hiring tons of people for peak. He said that he got an email saying that he was 'qualified' to be a package handler. So as a reporter, he contacted FE do find out what qualified him to be a package handler.

I wanted the FE HR person to say, "Well, when you exhaled, you fogged the mirror, that qualifies you."

I was horribly let down.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
last night on Sound Money, the commentator was doing a piece about FE hiring tons of people for peak. He said that he got an email saying that he was 'qualified' to be a package handler. So as a reporter, he contacted FE do find out what qualified him to be a package handler.

I wanted the FE HR person to say, "Well, when you exhaled, you fogged the mirror, that qualifies you."

I was horribly let down.
I know....but it is true. However, fogging a mirror won't determine if you get to keep your job after peak...with a few exceptions, of course.

9.5er

In my building the chances are slim to none. We don't have a high turn over rate. Small centers don't need as many extra bodies. The bigger the center the better the chances.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
They'll keep you. 14 years ago I started in September as a part-time pre-loader, got caught in the freeze and retained afterwards.

I was good at what I did, but the ridiculous turnover in this place certainly helped too - and it's only gotten worse.

I had a helper last peak that was retained on the pre-load. Good kid, had a strong grasp of the object of the job.

About two weeks ago he switched from glasses to contacts. He had 2 misloads on his 1100 piece set on a Monday. He was called into the office and TLA'd on it and they pretty much didn't care about the change because it screwed with their precious numbers. The next day he had 1. They called him in the office again with the intent of a second TLA (not even a warning letter) when he threw up his hands and said screw it and walked out.

Show up on time everyday, work as directed unless it's unsafe, DO NOT become emotionally invested - just shake your head yes and take their money.
That's the secret to a long and rewarding career here.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
It all depends on how big of center you work at. At my center your chances would have been ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, GOOSE EGG, ain't firkin going to happen. I never saw ONE temporary peak hire kept on after peak was over. We did have a very few that were called back months later when things picked up again for Spring. Usually the bottom third of the full time drivers had to bumped onto the pre-load and those part timers were laid off.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It all depends on how big of center you work at. At my center your chances would have been ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, GOOSE EGG, ain't firkin going to happen. I never saw ONE temporary peak hire kept on after peak was over. We did have a very few that were called back months later when things picked up again for Spring. Usually the bottom third of the full time drivers had to bumped onto the pre-load and those part timers were laid off.
Depends on the shift and position. Drivers--virtually none if any are kept. Preloaders-slightly more, but not many. Package handlers on the night shift? Plenty are kept. There is a high turnover rate. I started as a seasonal package handler, then was kept on. Then put in my time to go driving.

battym

I was just hired as a casual driver ( hoping for a chance as a permanent position like everyone else)..my question is, after we get laid off after peak, I do need a job to pay bills..if I asked for an inside part time job and they give it to me,would that effect my chances of being called back as a driver in a positive or negative way?

You've Got Mail

Neither. You might have the experience, but you don't have the seniority. Everyone on the inside who came before you would get the chance to drive before you, regardless. The only chance you have would be if you were the best damn driver your hub has ever seen and never call out or talk back or complain. Always have a pressed uniform, shave, haircut, polished shoes.