Change in package volume...

bears2

I was curious with the economic crisis in america if ups volume has taken much of a hit. I asked at my hub and i got conflicting answers from 2 sups. So what is your hubs normal volume and what has it been lately? Is management stressing over any of it?

Average volume on my Twi sort two years ago was between 50-60K, nightly. We had regular start times of 3:45 - 4:30.

Now, we run anywhere from 39-46K and almost always start at 5:15 on Monday and 5:50 every other day. That is for the past year+.

Many hourlies can't even get their 3.5.

drewed

Shankman
It depends on what part of the country your in, and what kinds of ops you have. Intl ops are consistent with what they were last year and in our local volume we're about +10% from where we were last year, but thatll depend on what your local economy is like

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Last year on avg our del volume was 300 to 350%. I don't know the piece count. That carried over into this spring. Now, since early summer our volume is down to 250 to 300%. I don't know how our out-bound volume is.

over9five

Staff member
Volume down big-time here. I can't believe some of the places I pick up with a 45' trailer. Could fit the packages in a VW Bug.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Makes you wonder how much volume is going to other carriers. Lots of stuff I order come Fed X. I allways ask to have it shipped UPS but many places only use one or the other. Trying to get a sales rep to follow up on leads takes forever if at all. They are spread so thin they don't have time. I told my boss that they were kicking our butts in some areas on how much earlier they were showing up than us and he said that we deliver more at each stop. With thinking like that it wont be long until it is the other way around. :biting:

25yrvet

Volume is up in my state--the economy is good!! A lot of rural stuff, people would rather order it on QVC than drive 60+ miles to the closest walfart. It doesn't hurt that we've had some gas wars also....regular got down to 2.14$ Monday (up to 2.89 today)--it sure helps to have a new convience store in town!