Change local chapter

brump

I'd like to move my family to a new town. There's a UPS hub 10 minutes away but it is under a different local chapter. The closest hub for my current chapter is about an hour away.

T

Turdferguson

I'd like to move my family to a new town. There's a UPS hub 10 minutes away but it is under a different local chapter. The closest hub for my current chapter is about an hour away.
Depends on what region you are in. I think I read on here out west they can transfer like that.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Wondering if anyone knows if a driver would be allowed to change union locals under any circumstance.

PT employees can transfer for educational reasons (and have an increasing amount of hoops to jump through now..) I'm not going to say it never happens for FT employees, but it's very unlikely to happen.

brump

As I understand it the only way would be for me to quit my current position and then apply at the new center where I would lose seniority and go back to starting pay rate. But I would keep my pension years . Would I also lose my vacation weeks?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
You need to make sure there's an opening. Very few areas are hiring FT drivers off the street.

You would keep your pension credit if you were vested (5 years for IBT/UPS FT Pension Plan). You would lose all accrued vacation and other benefits (including health insurance.)

brump

Oh man, definitely not an option. Who would you suggest I talk to about it? Local Steward? center manager? Been driving 16 years.