Changes to DVIR and Vehicle Inspection Procedures

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Perhaps the DVIR should be something done on the diad with sig clarification? Someday.

This is a very good idea. I would expand on it by allowing the driver to alert the shop via the DIAD of any issues with the vehicle so that they will have what they need available and be ready to work on the car when we come in off the road.

Integrity

Binge Poster
There were no jobs lost as a result of this. I support this move as it is always nice to have a fresh set of eyes.
UpstateNYUPSer,

The loss of jobs as a result of something like this usually happens down the road.

If the inspection methods are followed and automotive management are operating with integrity, then there is no need for this.

Dishonest management people should be run out of this company, collective bargaining unit work should not be out sourced because of incompetence and possible dishonesty.

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have two mechanics. One works during the day and the other at night. There is no way either of these jobs could be eliminated but I do see your point as it would/could apply to larger facilities.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
We as mechanics need it where we can read what your concerns are.. I for one love the mirrow broke, morrw loos, or my latch thingy dunt work, and my all time fav, "my stool is loos" . take the extra time and be legable, be specific, learn termanology.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Not trying to pick a fight but a quick google search found this, http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=396.11 . I can't find, "legible signature" anywhere.

I will put my 2 cents on this bet; Drivers in your center are failing to turn in their DVIRs at night and/or you can not read what they have written. An audit found this was not limited to just 1 or 2 drivers but many. To remidy this a new procedure has been put into place at your center that requires drivers to "hand in" their DVIRs to a specific person who now gets to add, "DVIR babysitter" to the list of their job duties. The signature legibility issue is for the next person in this new duty chain to run down drivers who's DVIRS can not be read or even compleated which is a violation of (b) Report content. Automotive not being able to read the DVIR could lead to a violation of (c)Corrective action.

One other possibility is that at night trucks needing automotive attention are being placed in the next day's lineup by the car wash crew without anyone's knowledge that something has to be checked/fixed. Best case-during the preload the problem is found and suddenly a truck has to be removed and replaced creating a headache for the morning crew. Worst case-the truck in question is loaded and taken out the next day.

As a cover driver, and without knowing more specifics about why this new proceedure was put into place, I like the change. Stop looking at the 1/2 empty glass and see the 1/2 full one :grouphugg:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We've been told for quite some time now that if our signature isn't legible, we are to print our name our name underneath.

I would think that if you alter your signature, it is not your signature!
I have 2 signatures. Have had for 20 years. 1 is for DVIR and 1 is for everything else. They are both MY signatures.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been writing the ending odometer reading in the upper right hand corner of the DVIR ever since I can remember. I started doing this when I was on a country run with a PC which had a fuel guage which didn't always work. I would double check the following morning to see if the mileage on the DVIR matched (or was close) to that on the odometer and knew that if it wasn't I would need to refuel earlier than I usually did. I am on a city run now but still do it.

We had a city driver (one of our runner/gunners) run out of fuel a while ago.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I think you are teeling that to the wrong person. It's her job to know.

Inspection, repair, and maintenance

§ 396.11Driver vehicle inspection report(s).
(a) Report required.
(1) Motor carriers.Every motor carrier shall require its drivers to report, and every driver shall prepare a report in writing at the completion of each day's work on each vehicle operated, except for intermodal equipment tendered by an intermodal equipment provider. The report shall cover at least the following parts and accessories:
—Service brakes including trailer brake connections
—Parking brake—Steering mechanism—Lighting devices and reflectors
—Tires
—Horn
—Windshield wipers
—Rear vision mirrors
—Coupling devices
—Wheels and rims
—Emergency equipment

(2) Intermodal equipment providers. Every motor carrier shall require its drivers to report, and every driver shall prepare a report in writing at the completion of each day's work on each vehicle operated, except for intermodal equipment tendered by an intermodal equipment provider. The report shall cover at least the following parts and accessories:
—Brakes
—Lighting devices, lamps, markers, and conspicuity marking material
—Wheels, rims, lugs, tires—Air line connections, hoses, and couplers
—King pin upper coupling device—Rails or support frames
—Tie down bolsters
—Locking pins, clevises, clamps, or hooks
—Sliders or sliding frame lock

(b) Report content. The report shall identify the vehicle and list any defect or deficiency discovered by or reported to the driver which would affect the safety of operation of the vehicle or result in its mechanical breakdown. If no defect or deficiency is discovered by or reported to the driver, the report shall so indicate. In all instances, the driver shall sign the report. On two-driver operations, only one driver needs to sign the driver vehicle inspection report, provided both drivers agree as to the defects or deficiencies identified. If a driver operates more than one vehicle during the day, a report shall be prepared for each vehicle operated.
(c) Corrective action. Prior to requiring or permitting a driver to operate a vehicle, every motor carrier or its agent shall repair any defect or deficiency listed on the driver vehicle inspection report which would be likely to affect the safety of operation of the vehicle.
(1) Every motor carrier or its agent shall certify on the original driver vehicle inspection report which lists any defect or deficiency that the defect or deficiency has been repaired or that repair is unnecessary before the vehicle is operated again.
(2) Every motor carrier shall maintain the original driver vehicle inspection report, the certification of repairs, and the certification of the driver's review for three months from the date the written report was prepared.