Changes You'd Like To See AT UPS

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I would like to see people post messages that are relevant to the topic for a change. :D
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1442714342.524580.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Dead serious. What wrong with ramp? Have you seen the A/C units or Generators that come through the system. Heck sometime the freights is on its own pallet.
For one thing, without major redesign it would create clearance issues with the rear bumper. On a city route, there is seldom enough space behind the package car to deploy it. And as much as I would like one, I have a hitch car (as do many other drivers) and the ramp would displace the hitch in its stowed position.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
My first would be a ramp at the back of the Package Car like they have on those Uhaul trucks. With the size and weight of the package getting bigger we need a little help here.

ramp-5-alt.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Uhaul-Ramp.jpg

BTW, spare us all the sarcasm. We all know UPS isn't going to be everything to everyone all the time.
Those ramps are SO handy picking up tires from other centers during peak.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would like the load quality to increase.

Give the poor loader some more time so they don't completely rush and throw things in. Makes or breaks my day.

My time study is based on the truck being stop for stop loaded :D
Your time study is about an hour or two behind what it would actually take to run the route....if it were stop for stop loaded.

ihatewinter

You know how when drivers get done and beat Orion they get paid for what ever extra time they beat.
If the loaders load faster the expected they should get paid extra!

542thruNthru

You know how when drivers get done and beat Orion they get paid for what ever extra time they beat.
If the loaders load faster the expected they should get paid extra!

All that's going to do is cause more injuries and more harassment. Plus most loaders at my hub get moved around to much while they load their area for that to work. Sorry but I think that is a horrible idea.

HBGPreloader

As a preloader, who loads the package cars, these are the changes I would like to see (in addition to what's already been said)...

1) Properly trained new hires - Be it management or union, I would just like to work with and/or to answer to someone who knows what the heck is going on and knows how to do the job.

2) Regular/set start times - Starting on Mondays at 3:00 and as late as 4:15 on friend/U Fridays is really annoying because you can't establish a normal and healthy sleep pattern. I get that management wants to adjust times to fit the volume. But, 5 different start times in a week is ridiculous.

3) Proper equipment and supplies to do our jobs - Replace the light bulbs that are burned out, ideally, within a day of when we report it - not 3 weeks or a month later, when you get around to it.
We're told to containerize smalls and tape up damaged packages. Yet, totes, tape (and dispensers) and bin-hooks (that don't weigh 20#) are just items of legend that, sometimes, appear the day before a visit by corporate.

4) Legible PAL labels - I don't care what type of label corporate chooses - as long as I can read it when the package gets to me. Oh, and, make sure the PAL label is on the same side as the address so I don't have to flip the package around 3 or 4 times to figure out where it is going (this also relates back to #1).

5) Properly weighed and labeled packages - And, if it's over 70#, make sure it's properly marked! (This goes back to #1 too).

6) A visit from my drivers - It won't kill you whiny drivers if you stop in on occasion before you start just to introduce yourself and let us know what you think of the job we're doing. If we're dong a good job, say so. If not, be polite and offer some constructive criticism on how we can improve.
However, don't hang out in the back of the car and decide to chat with all of your buddies, because, if you're in my way, I'm gonna put you to work - or worse. Remember, I am the one attempting to load your car <evil grin>.

7) Packages going to the same address/customer should have the same PAL label - This is a big pet peeve of mine because, all too often, I'll have a bunch of packages going to one stop. But, because they're split amongst 2 or 3 PAL labels, they don't show up on the bulk stop report and don't get loaded together. And, yes, I've approached management about this several times.

8) Don't move us around so much - It's difficult to get to know an area and how to efficiently load a car when were constantly getting bounced around.

9) Knock it off with the freakin ad/cuts (and route cuts) - It's bad enough when you have to unload packages you already loaded. But, it's especially annoying when you get a couple dozen extra packages cut to a shelf that already has 50+ pieces on it.

10) Reasonable expectations - I realize this is the biggest pipe dream of them all. But, it can't hurt to mention.
Today would have been a typical day for me with ~850 pieces and I should have been able to wrap up on time, if not a bit early. But, management, first, cut a 225 piece post office stop to me (still, somewhat, within reason) and then dumped another ~100 piece or more (2 carts full) bulk stop that ended up blocking/bricking out the car.
Fortunately, the driver didn't mind because 9.5 grievances are, now, just part of routine for him.

Knocking on wood, I'm in a decent area and, fortunately, my drivers are pretty good. But, now that we're all getting comfortable with how we all communicate and work together, management will probably move me - again.

There are a few other things I could add, like NDA's PAL'd to 3000 - 5000 shelves and offering a 5 - 10 minute break/breather on longer days. But, like #10 they're just dreams.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
1) Properly trained new hires - Be it management or union, I would just like to work with and/or to answer to someone who knows what the heck is going on and knows how to do the job.
As a management employee. YES PLEASE. They don't give us any room to actually train in the numbers. It's pathetic. Oh great, they watched the videos? Who gives a crap. People learn by doing. If I code anybody as training I get an e-mail saying not to do it. What I end up doing is coding new hires as safety/wellness the first couple of days because I consider it a safety issue if they don't know how to do their job.
2) Regular/set start times - Starting on Mondays at 3:00 and as late as 4:15 on friend/U Fridays is really annoying because you can't establish a normal and healthy sleep pattern. I get that management wants to adjust times to fit the volume. But, 5 different start times in a week is ridiculous.
We hate it too. There needs to be a standard schedule for feeders. But we can't get anything moved. Feeders is like the maffia of UPS. We just play their game.

9) Knock it off with the freakin ad/cuts (and route cuts) - It's bad enough when you have to unload packages you already loaded. But, it's especially annoying when you get a couple dozen extra packages cut to a shelf that already has 50+ pieces on it.
A lot of this could be fixed by corporate simply creating a program to better track the amount of incoming packages. Right now we have to use PKG which is just simply a forecast that they set a freaking year in advance. I can't figure out how I know which trailer my package is on, but they can't tell me accurately how much volume to anticipate on preload which is due to start in 30 minutes.

moldsporh

To be treated like a human, also with respect, and to understand your delivery workforce that's in the eyes of the public most likely have families and would like to get home to see their families instead of pushing "stops per car".

170 + stops and being out until 8 PM is ZERO display of respect for the driver or family. It's greed.