Changing my route for peak.

Re-Raise

Clearly. But as A BID route driver I expect to have the route I BID on for peak. Not some garbage split car over 3 different loops
I don't know why you are catching so much grief on here. I agree with you. I guess the contract violation would depend on how much they are changing your route.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
It may not be a contract violation but it still is pretty crappy. You bid on a mall route not an apartment route that happens to have a mall. Unfortunately at times we have to suck it up and WAD.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Where I am they can do pretty much everything they want at peak, including taking a driver off of his bidded route and putting him where ever they want to. It doesn't happen often but it has happened. It doesn't mean you have to kill yourself running whatever garbage they throw at you.

They do that here with drivers who bid on training routes. They will force the drive to run a different area and let a casual run the training route. The reasoning is the casual was trained on the training area, is most comfortable on it and will be most productive on it.

rod

Retired 22 years
The bottom line is you my friend are too good of an employee. You have become a valuable asset to your management. They need your super talents and brain power to deliver residential areas that require you to be able to figure out how streets and address are arranged. Be thankful you are not one of the chosen few that are so "good" that they assign you a rural route out in the sticks with unmarked mailboxes and rabid dogs. Although ball breaking work it is-- all a Mall route requires is a strong back and a weak mind. Work as directed and enjoy payday.

Nike

Let me weigh in here...
I work a mall route and yes what they are doing to you is pretty crappy, the least of which you get tipped out, given gifts and various other "rewards" for doing a good job all year from your people.

Talk to management/stewards if you must but I like the idea presented earlier and thats to be 4 hours over on your "new route". Its all numbers to UPS and if they see you going way over you'll be put back pretty quick

Sent using BrownCafe App

box_beeyotch

They do that here with drivers who bid on training routes. They will force the drive to run a different area and let a casual run the training route. The reasoning is the casual was trained on the training area, is most comfortable on it and will be most productive on it.

Along with less chance of an accident happening because they are familiar with the area and delivery points.

Rainman

Its all good.
I've seen a 25 year bid driver pulled from his bidded route at Peak to run a split route, everyone who has a training route loses it at peak.

Dr.Brownz

I'm currently a mall route driver and have 40 stops in the mall and around 60-70 outside the mall daily. Starting tomorrow they have taken the whole mall off of me and giving me work from another loop and other routes in my loop totalling 175 stops. Do I have any leg to stand on to keep my own work?
The contract says something about following the majority of work when a route is split up.Maybe you could claim the mall gets more pieces so that is the majority?

UPS WORKHORSE

Not sure what supplement you are covered by, but I'm assuming your language is probably similar to the Southwest Package Rider, which says,

"When a driver’s assigned delivery area is permanently changed by
fifty percent (50%) or more of its delivery stops, said driver shall
have the right to follow the major portion of the original delivery
area. When more than one (1) driver’s delivery area is affected,
those affected drivers shall be afforded the opportunity amongst
themselves to bid the areas affected in accordance with their seniority."

So, according to what you said earlier, you started with 100-110 stops. You lost 40 mall stops, and gained about (40 stops?) from another route. The 50% factors in not just what you lost, but also what you gained (from another route).

That being said, it sounds like the majority of your delivery area is outside mall work (60-70 stops), which would mean, even though your route has changed by over 50%, you have followed "the major portion of the original delivery area."

They kept you with the majority of your delivery stops, it's just not the part that you want, which is unfortunate.

I suggest talking to management calmly and explain why it is in their interest to have you at the mall as opposed to another person. Tell them it is safer to have you there, because you are accustomed to the environment, know how to manage walking through the mall with that many people, blah blah blah. If they say no, try talking to a steward. They can, from time to time, get management to do things, even though there is no contract violation.

Best of luck to you.