Changing Start Times

Discussion in 'UPS Freight' started by Dalamo, May 5, 2011.

1. Dalamo

Dalamo New Member

For some unknown reason (according to management) our city freight has been slow. My scheduled p&d start time is 12:00 i have been getting calls in the mornings from our operations manager to come in at 15:00 to work the dock, sometimes i dont answer my phone and he leaves a message saying that hes with a shop steward is that good enough. I dont have a home phone and i turn my cell off while charging when i turn it on the messages show up, is that good enough or does he actually have to talk to me. 1 time i didnt call him back and showed up at my scheduled start time he told me not to clock in until 1500 i told him that i wasnt going to hang around for 3 hrs and left i live about 50minutes from the terminal and i wasnt going to go back home to come back. I know everybody pretty much has a cellphone but UPS doesnt pay our bill and we are not paid to be on call any suggestions on what articles are being violated (if any) would really be appreciated ​
  2. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Over in the package division, I start at start time. If your steward is making a side deal with your sup, I would be at the union hall roasting someone's petunia shall we say. In your contract, they should have something about when and how they can change you start time, but a call a few hours before isn't good enough in package.
  3. klein

klein Für Meno :)

Normally, Teamsters had a 24 hr notice practice in place. Meaning the company must give you atleast 24, (some even 48), hr notice in case of a shift change.
    So, ask if that's the case for you .
  4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

As the previous two have said, we are given 24 hour notice of a change in start time here on the package side. I don't know if this applies to freight or not--I would think that it would.

Let's look at this from a different perspective--wouldn't it be better to get some hours than no hours at all? In other words, laid off.
  5. TheKid

TheKid Well-Known Member

Here they have to notify us a week in advance of a change in start time
  6. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

THis is the correct answer here ( NE package div) and in other areas too (not sure about all of the supplements of course) The co has to notify 1 week in advance start time change.
  7. packageguy

packageguy Well-Known Member

By us posted on the thursday before, and could be up to one hour