Charged for being hit in the rear

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Let me add something to my earlier post.

first off, you were hit in the side, not the rear. on a 1000, the tires are on the side of the truck. so the discussion is hit on side. small difference, but yet not.

secondly, you stated that the driver seemed to be coming to a stop, but had not yet stopped when you entered the intersection. you assumed he would stop, but he did not, he ran a stop sign. that made the accident his fault. pure and simple. his insurance is responsible for fixing all the damage done, and he gets the ticket.

third, your accident could have been avoided. you could have waited until you knew for sure the guy was going to stop. that is one of the key things at intersections is your control of what is going to happen. and that is also why ups decided that it was avoidable.

as such, this would be one of those cases that are borderline. yes you did everything by the book, but you assumed the driver would/could stop when you entered the intersection. and in assuming, you put yourself in the intersection.

in my time with ups, i have had the honor to work with many circle of honor drivers. several with multiple millions of miles, several 35+ years, all accident free.

yup, part of that is luck/Gods grace. but part of it is also the fact that many if not all of these drivers never assume that the other driver is going to obey the signs, do something rational. they expect the unexpected.

and as such, they have avoided many accidents that most of us would not have. they have mastered the space cushion around their vehicle. they are in control of intersections.

case in point. with what you saw, had you waved him through the intersection, and then gone, would that not have avoided the accident? that might have added 10 seconds to your day, not the 90+ minutes it did.

i hope you understand what i am trying to say, and not take this personally. a true circle of honor driver would have never assumed any rational behavior on the part of the other driver.

all that being said, i think they are nit picking with charging it as avoidable.

and as sober wrote, the safety issue is far from even handed at ups. as long as just one person has the say one way or another, it will remain that way.

if you have a safety panel made up of management and hourly, at least it would be more even handed.

d