Charity Solicitation

Gimmeabreak is right. How much time is spent on the company dime raising money for the United Way? How many hours are spent sitting at a table collecting $5 for Jeans day? The solicitation is non stop and year round. Is anyone else done with this?

I understand times are not good, but as UPSers (at least for the ones still here with jobs) we are doing better than a lot of others out there that could use our help. There is a history at UPS of being a part of our communities and volunteering. This is another one of those things in the “old” UPS that made it such a great company. Do we eliminate one of the few remaining qualities UPS has just because a few at the top in UPS want to change us into nothing more than another big company? True it is not the most cost effective way, but it does generate monies for a good cause and it does provide for a little fun (there is not much of that left in UPS).

AvgJoe

VirtualPro: If you look at my original post I said the following: "Charity is about giving of your time and resources to help those in need. It does not mean doing that while on the company dime. Don't take this post the wrong way. Giving to charities (including United Way) and being a good Corporate citizen is very important." Although these Wii tournaments are fun for those that participate and a select few that watch, why not channel that fun into other activities and not focused on raising money, such as cookouts, sporting events, etc...? Of course budget constraints severely limit that (except in G&A where we still have the annual cookout). I believe all these small United Way fundraising events along with the ENDLESS emails, sour many people on donating to the annual campaign which is the primary driver of our charity funds. I wonder how many of these people participating in the Wii tournaments, dunk tanks and yes, golf tournaments DURING WORK HOURS would visit a homeless shelter supported by the United Way on the WEEKEND? How many of them volunteer their time in their community outside of work? With continuous budget cuts to non-operating expense, we need to evaluate the NET results to fundraising events AFTER expenses (including labor).

Motownpride

VirtualPro: If you look at my original post I said the following: "Charity is about giving of your time and resources to help those in need. It does not mean doing that while on the company dime. Don't take this post the wrong way. Giving to charities (including United Way) and being a good Corporate citizen is very important." Although these Wii tournaments are fun for those that participate and a select few that watch, why not channel that fun into other activities and not focused on raising money, such as cookouts, sporting events, etc...? Of course budget constraints severely limit that (except in G&A where we still have the annual cookout). I believe all these small United Way fundraising events along with the ENDLESS emails, sour many people on donating to the annual campaign which is the primary driver of our charity funds. I wonder how many of these people participating in the Wii tournaments, dunk tanks and yes, golf tournaments DURING WORK HOURS would visit a homeless shelter supported by the United Way on the WEEKEND? How many of them volunteer their time in their community outside of work? With continuous budget cuts to non-operating expense, we need to evaluate the NET results to fundraising events AFTER expenses (including labor).

Excellent point....we have had people in Motown volunteering on their own time to help those less fortunate. I am confused as the posts have an hourly mentality ring to it. The days i did the CAR WASH I had to stay later to insure my work got done. The flowers i helped sell were from my garden and i picked and potted them on my time. The dunk tank is having a little fun and raising money for those that live in our community who are less fortunate. I gave before I came to UPS and will give long after I leave. i personally volunteer over 40 hours per month on my time and my dime.
God Bless those who do give back and God Bless those who complain and do nothing. There is a silent majority who don't come to this web site that just do their job and give back to their community with no fanfare.

I guess some call it sucking up because i agree with how we are doing things in my Portfolio. I want to keep my job and will go above and beyond to keep it. I enjoy coming to work and yes our picnic is on Sept 17th and i will enjoy it with my partners and co-workers

Interesting ... if you are a partner, that means you are Grade 20 or above. Very interesting. :wink2:

Hoaxster, can you help me understand the dislike for a grade 20? It seems to me, these employees were once at the bottom and worked their way up (some did hard work, some were just in the right place at the right time). I would like to think that if I work hard, maybe I can become a grade 20 or even higher. But I do not understand why this site is so oppossed to success. I constantly read negative comments about grade 20s or even 2 unit management. Being in management just not make the person bad, it seems to me they were already bad and then they are given a title.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster, can you help me understand the dislike for a grade 20? It seems to me, these employees were once at the bottom and worked their way up (some did hard work, some were just in the right place at the right time). I would like to think that if I work hard, maybe I can become a grade 20 or even higher. But I do not understand why this site is so opposed to success. I constantly read negative comments about grade 20s or even 2 unit management. Being in management just not make the person bad, it seems to me they were already bad and then they are given a title.

I think you implied a bit too much there.
I and I think most people on the site do respect Grade 20s and higher and the fact that they worked hard to get where they are.

The point, it appears, is that the partnership that use to include all management seems to have migrated North to 20's and above.
That includes authority and compensation.

Maybe jealousy is the word you were searching for but could not quite come up with. :wink2:
Now you are jealous! :happy-very:

The answer is no.....and partner is the phrase Frank Ehrbrich called anyone who rec'd Mgrs Incentive.

Hoaxter you should know better.

Arrgh ... now I'm feeling chastised! :biting:

Frank is long gone ... probably rolling over in his grave. :funny:

Motownpride

wow- do u believe it? there was a UWAY bowling tournament in Mahwah last week and the Ramsey folks entered a team that won. On their way back to Ramsey they were met at the door by a large group of folks that proceeded to greet them and parade them around the building like some sort of Super Bowl winners. When does someone sit up and take notice of this crap?

We didn't have a WII tournament in Motown and now i wish we had one.
It sounds like fun ! I used to be in the UPS bowling league and that was a great time as well. You don't sound like you enjoy working in Ramsey. I don't know you but you think you know me and that has you troubled.....keep trying to figure it out....:devil3::devil3::devil3::devil3::devil3::devil3::devil3:

Motownpride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motownpride
The answer is no.....and partner is the phrase Frank Ehrbrich called anyone who rec'd Mgrs Incentive.

Hoaxter you should know better.

Arrgh ... now I'm feeling chastised! :biting:

As a seasoned veteran......you should know better.....and word has it that Frank E is alive and doing well in Atlanta..... I miss his personality.

G

gimmeabreak

the newest UWAY thing is an Ebay-type auction where UPSers donate something of value and HR auctions is off.

what's next??

motownpride---I don't give a rat's "behind" who u are, and maybe u should start an auction in Motown.