Charles Manson attacks Package car. What do you do?

BrownArmy

Dash cam could work for the benefit of drivers but too likely UPS would use one as a micro management tool for harassment.

As I see it, there's nothing a dash-cam would add to the micro-management possible with Telly-tub-o-matics.

Anything management could want from a dash-cam, they pretty much already have.

As well, can you imagine the management hours needed to comb through hours of dash-cam video?

More likely, it would be on some sort of ten minute loop that would continuously be erased unless something triggered an event.

Or not.

Packmule

Sounds like you did the right thing. No telling what someone acting like that might have done if you'd just sat there waiting for cops. Hopefully the company is standing behind you.

I was driving down the road near the end of my day when a wild eyed, drug influenced, crazy looking man runs into the middle of the road waving his arms for me to stop. To avoid hitting him I stop the vehicle. He then charged the package car and jumped on my front bumper and began beating the vehicle hard while screaming at the top of his lungs unintelligible words. I'm thinking to myself "What the hell did I do to deserve this?" After a few seconds,I yelled "I'm calling the police" while showing him my cell phone as he continued to beat the vehicle. This did not stop him and I knew it would take over a half hour for the police to get to this rural area. At this point I was really worried and wished my doors were both closed in the summer heat. My fear was that he could have a knife or other weapon and would not have a problem using it. I decided that I'm not going out of the truck no matter what and if he tried to get into the vehicle I was going to use it to take him down. I then put the truck in reverse with the clutch engaged, I pressed the throttle hoping to scare him off the bumper. This did not work. At this point I decided to back the truck up with him on my bumper and maybe he would jump off. I released the clutch and began backing up. He just grabbed on and continued to stayed on my front bumper. I then decided I'm getting this idiot off. I threw the truck into first gear and accelerated rapidly and then slammed on the brakes. He went tumbling down in the middle of the road. I could tell he was alright but he tore up his knee with road rash. I swerved around him and took off. I went down the road and stopped the truck to call the Center to notify them of this incident. They told me to just come on back. Later, I found out the the crazy guy was arrested. However, the Police never contacted me. What a day.

onestoptogo

If the guy had decided to come at you, I hope you were prepared to to put him down.
If he made a run for the side door I was taking off fast. No way was he getting inside the truck. If I hit him, so be it. I was taking no chances with someone so unstable.
A customer who saw him jump on the bumper said I should have accelerated up to a fast speed and then hit the brakes to help cleanse the gene pool.

onestoptogo

Sounds like you did the right thing. No telling what someone acting like that might have done if you'd just sat there waiting for cops. Hopefully the company is standing behind you.
A customer who saw what was going on said the police arrived and drew weapons on him. Apparently he was sent in for a psychiatrist evaluation.

onestoptogo

Maybe no one actually believes this story but you're right. The op didn't make the right call at all in this situation.

Calling the cops and letting them deal with it is the right thing to do.
Easy to say when your not the one being threatened. Your prospective would probably change if placed in the exact situation. The police were over 30 minutes away. If it happened to you we could be reading "UPS driver killed while waiting for police".

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Easy to say when your not the one being threatened. Your prospective would probably change if placed in the exact situation. The police were over 30 minutes away. If it happened to you we could be reading "UPS driver killed while waiting for police".
you have to understand that these forums are filled with Monday morning quarterbacks. no matter what anyone does it is always wrong .

Box Ox

Sounds like the guy was bath salts grade out of his mind. Can't just get on the phone and threaten with pee bottles. Could get knocked out and have your face eaten off.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We arent allowed to carry weapons on the job.

We are, however, allowed to carry flashlights.

The 5-cell Mag Light is essentially a solid anodized aluminum war club full of D cell batteries with a light bulb at one end. It is the approximate size and weight of a police baton. It could crush the skull of a mean dog or a tweaker with one good blow.

Every UPS'er needs a good flashlight. Because it can get pretty dark out there.

Future

Victory Ride
I was driving down the road near the end of my day when a wild eyed, drug influenced, crazy looking man runs into the middle of the road waving his arms for me to stop. To avoid hitting him I stop the vehicle. He then charged the package car and jumped on my front bumper and began beating the vehicle hard while screaming at the top of his lungs unintelligible words. I'm thinking to myself "What the hell did I do to deserve this?" After a few seconds,I yelled "I'm calling the police" while showing him my cell phone as he continued to beat the vehicle. This did not stop him and I knew it would take over a half hour for the police to get to this rural area. At this point I was really worried and wished my doors were both closed in the summer heat. My fear was that he could have a knife or other weapon and would not have a problem using it. I decided that I'm not going out of the truck no matter what and if he tried to get into the vehicle I was going to use it to take him down. I then put the truck in reverse with the clutch engaged, I pressed the throttle hoping to scare him off the bumper. This did not work. At this point I decided to back the truck up with him on my bumper and maybe he would jump off. I released the clutch and began backing up. He just grabbed on and continued to stayed on my front bumper. I then decided I'm getting this idiot off. I threw the truck into first gear and accelerated rapidly and then slammed on the brakes. He went tumbling down in the middle of the road. I could tell he was alright but he tore up his knee with road rash. I swerved around him and took off. I went down the road and stopped the truck to call the Center to notify them of this incident. They told me to just come on back. Later, I found out the the crazy guy was arrested. However, the Police never contacted me. What a day.
Punt shower beer repeat?

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
WeKLTqT.gif