Cheating in the North Jersey district.

rod

Retired 22 years
Just one more way to "juggle" the books for you know who to look better- ( I never worked for any management person in my 30 that didn't fudge numbers one way or the other) Damn the truth- full speed ahead

Now why do you make a statement like that? Does it make you feel better to bash management people that you worked with for 30 years?
(Once again) I stand by my statement. I had 9 center manager's in 30 years and EVERYONE of them ended up fudging numbers one way or the other. Some got caught- some didn't. Part time sups and on car sups did the same. That's life at UPS - making sure it looks good on paper. What color is the sky in your world?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Now being a retired operator

Retired operator......what exactly does that mean? You worked for the phone company? I have heard it used when refering to mafia operatives. But most of them dont retire, they die young.:happy-very:

So as a retired operator, you are saying you never ever saw anyone cooking the books? Changing time cards? Editing deliveries to show on time deliveries? Changing the non delivery numbers, or the reason for non delivery? Never ever? REALLY?

So then why are you disputing Rod?

d

J

jeblatz

I believe that they have to get the OK to use emergency condition from higher up the food chain. By using emergency condition, there won't be a shipping charge refund. If missed is used , then a refund is due.

But they are missed! They are defrauding the customer. Also, UPS centers are getting credit for a stop delivered. Why does this company continually choose to lie and cheat. I dare every lower management person to start today acting with honesty and integrity. Upper management will have no choice but to accept it. This is the only way to transform this company into one that we can all be proud of.

local804

Seems like they use this key a little more than they should also. If it was made for a true emergency like a tornado or a hurricane, I would understand. When the packages are in our building on time and we are told to use the key because cach or Philly had a bad storm, something is fishy. Could be a perfect sunny day and we use the key jst because we are told. I do believe it is a higher up decision, not a good one but so be it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tracking 1Z's is nothing new. My center is 1/2 hour from the Canadian border so we have a lot of freight forwarding companies which, for those who may not know, prepare the documents necessary for the packages to go through Customs/Douanes. A cottage industry has sprung up in which these companies hire people to spend 8 hours a day tracking 1Z's. The 1Z's of shipments are provided to these people and they input them in to a computer to determine if we did our job or not and, if not, they notify the requesting company who in turn requests a refund. This is one of the reasons that the tracking function on ups.com has been changed to facilitate only 25 tracking numbers at a time and that the use of the tracking system is for personal use only--they have added a "Terms and Conditions" statement to the tracking function that says that you will use it for personal use only and will not use it for commercial purposes. These people track shipments for all of the major carriers and, from what I have been told, it was quite profitable.

I usually have at least 2-3 customers per day who tell me they knew I was going to be there today because they had tracked it online. I also have at least 2-3 per day who told me I should have been there the day before as they had tracked it online and wanted to know what "rescheduled delivery" meant. I tell them 1-800-742-5877.

local804

I usually have at least 2-3 customers per day who tell me they knew I was going to be there today because they had tracked it online. I also have at least 2-3 per day who told me I should have been there the day before as they had tracked it online and wanted to know what "rescheduled delivery" meant. I tell them 1-800-742-5877.

I am sure alot more know than you and me think just by the number of hits the ups website gets daily.

Channahon

Retired operator......what exactly does that mean? You worked for the phone company? I have heard it used when refering to mafia operatives. But most of them dont retire, they die young.:happy-very:

So as a retired operator, you are saying you never ever saw anyone cooking the books? Changing time cards? Editing deliveries to show on time deliveries? Changing the non delivery numbers, or the reason for non delivery? Never ever? REALLY?

So then why are you disputing Rod?

d

Sure I've seen management being shown the door for falsifying reports, only not to the extent to say every management person I worked with over 27 years in mangement was dishonest. As Rod has stated in his post. And unless he had access to district reports, how would he verify his statement.

As far as your operator comment - I find insulting and unwarranted, considering I have never been involved in any of your posts until now.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I find insulting and unwarranted

Oh great one, I am so sorry. That was an attempt at humor, but obviously did not strike you as such.

I have 33 years under my belt, and there was maybe one that I know of that was honest enough not to change reports to make themselves look better, or not as bad. And he was an ex-Marine, one of the only managers I ever had respect for.

d

danlin

I was wondering when someone was going to start a thread on this. Was even going to start it myself a couple weeks back.
I am a 30 year employee; 28 as a driver, Rocky Mt District. We were told if you will be missing business deliveries to sheet as EC???? The reasoning was our air was late(and usually is)because of storms back east. So we are leaving the building late. When that used to happen I would message the center and let them know that I wouldn't be making all my businesses' by 5.They would usually send me help in the form of some poor schmuck that was either a swing driver or "building cleanup driver", feeder driver or even supervisor and the packages would be delivered. There have been those instances where no one could help me and I end up missing numerous pieces. Now they say call first and if we can't get to you....sheet as EC? At a PCM one of our drivers said he called it falsifying records, the supe replied he calls it working as directed. So now the problem is what do I tell one of my customers when they track a package and see that it was EC'd but yet I was delivering across the street that very same day.

JustTired

free at last.......
So now the problem is what do I tell one of my customers when they track a package and see that it was EC'd but yet I was delivering across the street that very same day.

Tell them the truth. I'm not becoming a liar to cover their tracks!

D

Dear Rodney

Here in the midwest the weather this winter has been bad to put the least. Anyway I called my on-road sup and said I have x-amount of packages left to deliver and will not be able to get them all off in time or I'll be out of hours; I wanted to know how he wanted the sheeted emergency or missed? He asked me in I could have gotten them all delivered had the roads been good?? I said you bet!! He said sheet them as emergency cause the bad roads slowed you down.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sure I've seen management being shown the door for falsifying reports, only not to the extent to say every management person I worked with over 27 years in mangement was dishonest. As Rod has stated in his post. And unless he had access to district reports, how would he verify his statement.

As far as your operator comment - I find insulting and unwarranted, considering I have never been involved in any of your posts until now.
I personaly don't give a rats behind if you believe me or not. I was just stating the FACTS as I have witnessed them. I know right from wrong so when I was told to sheet up a missed package to make it appear that it was anything but a UPS service failure then I didn't need to see the "district reports" to know something stunk.I've seen many many packages left in the building or "given a ride" because of one mixup or another. It sounds like there might be one or two honest managers out there that don't care how they look on paper as long as the reports are accurate. Unfortunatly I would bet their days are probably numbered as you BETTER look good on paper.

ihadit

Just one more way to "juggle" the books for you know who to look better- ( I never worked for any management person in my 30 that didn't fudge numbers one way or the other) Damn the truth- full speed ahead

Now why do you make a statement like that? Does it make you feel better to bash management people that you worked with for 30 years?

Wow! Talk about someone with their head in the sand! Anyone who has worked for UPS knows how the system works. Number fudging and lack of responsibilty is the name of the management game. Its obvious corporate doesn't care, as a result it keeps happening. It just gets more creative.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Here in the midwest the weather this winter has been bad to put the least. Anyway I called my on-road sup and said I have x-amount of packages left to deliver and will not be able to get them all off in time or I'll be out of hours; I wanted to know how he wanted the sheeted emergency or missed? He asked me in I could have gotten them all delivered had the roads been good?? I said you bet!! He said sheet them as emergency cause the bad roads slowed you down.

I'm glad to see that somewhere in the Midwest your on-road sup has some common sense.

J

jeblatz

I'm glad to see that somewhere in the Midwest your on-road sup has some common sense.

How is this common sense? The on road sup instructed the driver to falsify his delivery records. He should have instructed him to sheet all the packages that were not attempted as "MISSED". It's not the customers’ fault that UPS won't put enough trucks on the road to service these packages. A few extra routes put in on these bad days would go a long way in getting these packages delivered. UPS won't incur the extra expense so they hide these service failures by recording them as something else.

beentheredonethat

I'm up in the Northeast. Up here 6, 10" of snow isn't an emergency it's a normal operating day in the winter. If it was 6" of snow in SC or GA, that would be an emergency. Emergencies, are when roads are impassible. I agree, we spend way too much time in mgmt how to make ourselves look good instead of being good. Fortunately corporate is coming up with a new metric which is end to end svc failure. This metric doesn't care if the pkg was late truly due to teh customer (bad #, need directions, or a real emergency condition, or the EC's described here). All are a hit against the ctr. Although in some cases it may not be 100% fair. I'd much rather give better service to a customer and make the numbers look worse, then to make myself look good and hurt the customer. Of course that could be why I spent so many years as a supv before becoming a mgr.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I'm up in the Northeast. Up here 6, 10" of snow isn't an emergency it's a normal operating day in the winter. If it was 6" of snow in SC or GA, that would be an emergency. Emergencies, are when roads are impassible. I agree, we spend way too much time in mgmt how to make ourselves look good instead of being good. Fortunately corporate is coming up with a new metric which is end to end svc failure. This metric doesn't care if the pkg was late truly due to teh customer (bad #, need directions, or a real emergency condition, or the EC's described here). All are a hit against the ctr. Although in some cases it may not be 100% fair. I'd much rather give better service to a customer and make the numbers look worse, then to make myself look good and hurt the customer. Of course that could be why I spent so many years as a supv before becoming a mgr.

In my 35 years I found out that if it was a heavy snow storm 10-20 inches, it was easier to deliver because so many people stayed home and were not out on the road. beentheredonethat: Where do you rate the safety of your people? I hope it is before the metric for on time delivery.

Channahon

In our center misloads are a huge problem. I will be the first one to admit i hate running them off at the end of the night. I do agree that we should try to service the package,but our mgmt team has stoop to a new low.
One day i had multiple commercial misloads for a route four towns over. I reported them to center manager probably about noon time and got no response. About 1800 i get a text where can air driver (22.3) meet you. I told them dont bother they are business stops that i know are closed therefore they are missed. I was instructed not to sheet as missed threatened disciplinary action. Ok i wont sheet them ,but i wrote down trackings numbers.
I got home and went on ups.com and track pkgs. They were sheeted as cosignee not available 1st attempt.
I know it shouldnt bother me but thats Dishonest!![/quote]

You need to let someone know about this, especially since you have documentation to support your concern of dishonesty and integrity. You can contact your local Security dept, who will conduct an investigation and take it to the next level of management or call the Business Conduct and Compliance hotline in Corporate.

Wow! Talk about someone with their head in the sand! Anyone who has worked for UPS knows how the system works. Number fudging and lack of responsibilty is the name of the management game. Its obvious corporate doesn't care, as a result it keeps happening. It just gets more creative.

Not quite sure how my head is in the sand, when I advise anyone who posts issues about integrity as noted above. I never condoned any dishonesty at UPS, be it management or hourly.

Bozo Bob

True Dat! If you can't fudge numbers and avoid responsibility you'll never make it at Corporate. That is the name of the game in that snake pit.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Emergency conditions.....Lets see. If you go to work with 10 inches of new snow that fell overnight, they have the ability to change the workload because of that issue. Its called the planned day. They also have the ability to change the dispatch if the air comes in late and you leave the building 2 hours late. All they have to do is cut some runs in, and service can be made. Those are not emergency conditions. What is an emergency is when you get out on the road and the conditions change.

Typical UPS treatment of the above situations? We need to cut some runs, as the drivers can not get it all delivered today anyway. We will just sheet them up as EC and wont we look good on paper.

d