Chelsea Clinton's wedding

klein

Für Meno :)
One thing nobody mentioned here, and it does bug me a bit.
You see Bill Clinton and Bush in TV ads begging for money for Haiti, yet this wedding can cost up to $5Million !

You would think if they really cared about Haitiens, they would have scaled it back and send some of that money there, or better yet, hold it in Haiti.

And they want donated spare dollars from people that a dollar bill still has lots of value.

Somehow I find it just not right.
I know it's their money and they can do as they please with it, but please don't come begging to me for some !

You see Bill Clinton and Bush in TV ads begging for money for Haiti, yet this wedding can cost up to $5Million !

You would think if they really cared about Haitiens, they would have scaled it back and send some of that money there, or better yet, hold it in Haiti.

And they want donated spare dollars from people that a dollar bill still has lots of value.

I know it's their money and they can do as they please with it, but please don't come begging to me for some !

Technically they can circumvent you and get your dollars by going directly to the Canadian Gov and have it taken out of your allowance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Technically they can circumvent you and get your dollars by going directly to the Canadian Gov and have it taken out of your allowance.

Put aside your sarcasm, which BTW is getting old, for a second and read what he has to say as he makes a valid point. When the Clinton's were in the White House they were required, as all President's are, to disclose their tax returns for public scrutiny. I would be curious to see how much they personally gave in charitable contributions.

That being said, it is their money and they can do whatever they want with it, but to publicly solicit funds for earthquake relief and then spend $5M for what amounts to a one day party makes you wonder where their priorities really lie.

I found this link after posting this and it is quite interesting:

http://www.razoo.com/articles/Most_Generous_Presidents

P

pickup

Mebbe it was scaled back. Mebbe the Clintons were going for 10 million dollars initiallie.

klein

$11.000 wedding cake. That's the price of a new small compact car.

Pretty hard to scale back on that cake , I would think.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Weddings have become like kid's b-day parties......all the swanky parents trying to out-do each other. Cost's don't have to be high, but they will be when Vera Wang designs your dress, when you have a wedding planner other than Aunt Julia, when your jewels come from Harry Winston and your flowers are designed by Mark Held and the catering includes things like caviar & lobster.

People spend tons of money on weddings.......and that's fine. It's their dough. I like things simpler and not so showy. Good food is not necessarily a 12" inch plate with a 2" beef medallion and 1 asparagus spear......at least not in my neck of the woods.

It's the Clinton's only child and they threw a great party for her....good for them.

P

pickup

gotta remember , her husband to be (is) is an investment banker, he has to have a suitable atmosphere in which to hit up new clients .

browndevil

Weddings have become like kid's b-day parties......all the swanky parents trying to out-do each other. Cost's don't have to be high, but they will be when Vera Wang designs your dress, when you have a wedding planner other than Aunt Julia, when your jewels come from Harry Winston and your flowers are designed by Mark Held and the catering includes things like caviar & lobster.

People spend tons of money on weddings.......and that's fine. It's their dough. I like things simpler and not so showy. Good food is not necessarily a 12" inch plate with a 2" beef medallion and 1 asparagus spear......at least not in my neck of the woods.

It's the Clinton's only child and they threw a great party for her....good for them.

That's why there are there and we are here:wink2:

P

pickup

It's sort of like a poster who suggested that perhaps some upsers who lived nearby in the gulf region could have done some cleanup duty.(see post #1 of oil spill in current events). This same poster then went on trips to Mexico and Cuba where he partied as opposed to going the gulf coast region and cleaning up some birds .

jimstud

Banned
Put aside your sarcasm, which BTW is getting old, for a second and read what he has to say as he makes a valid point. When the Clinton's were in the White House they were required, as all President's are, to disclose their tax returns for public scrutiny. I would be curious to see how much they personally gave in charitable contributions.

That being said, it is their money and they can do whatever they want with it, but to publicly solicit funds for earthquake relief and then spend $5M for what amounts to a one day party makes you wonder where their priorities really lie.

I found this link after posting this and it is quite interesting:

http://www.razoo.com/articles/Most_Generous_Presidents

don't go getting all offended but you calling someone sarcastic is a little like the pot calling the kettle black.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
They could have also received undisclosed discounts for the services contracted.
The vendors involved in the wedding are receiving valuable advertising and a boost in reputation.
The town received a nice boost in the local economy.

In my opinion, this is the Clinton's choice for their only child.

My best wishes are extended for the Bride and Groom.

klein

It's sort of like a poster who suggested that perhaps some upsers who lived nearby in the gulf region could have done some cleanup duty.(see post #1 of oil spill in current events). This same poster then went on trips to Mexico and Cuba where he partied as opposed to going the gulf coast region and cleaning up some birds .

First of all, you needed to apply at BP for the job, even voluentary, then needed to get a certificate, and besides that, only americans were welcomed, and last but not least, I don't have the money to rent a hotel room there, or any property near the beach.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think the wedding business has been out of control for a while. We paid cash for ours, the church was free, I don't think the total was over a thousand for everything back in 1983. We know a couple that went to Italy last year to get married. They had been living together for five years and already had a house. They took a second mortgage out to spend over $50K on this wedding. Their house got foreclosed on six months ago.

While I think the price of Chelsea's wedding was too much, I wish her and her husband the best. Her parents had the money and the right to throw a big bash like this for their only child. I still think if it was me, it would have been scaled down a lot.

P

pickup

First of all, you needed to apply at BP for the job, even voluentary, then needed to get a certificate, and besides that, only americans were welcomed, and last but not least, I don't have the money to rent a hotel room there, or any property near the beach.

From what I understand, hotel room rates were cheap as everyone cancelled their reservations. As for the other conditions , puleese.

klein

From what I understand, hotel room rates were cheap as everyone cancelled their reservations. As for the other conditions , puleese.

Even if you believe they had no conditions, and any dummy can go dig out in the oil (with a safety hazerdous certificate), the airfare alone to the Gulf coast is about $1000 return, hotel, for say 2 weeks , is another $1000, then food, rubber boots, gloves,, some protective clothing...

No, don't have that kind of money.
Give me all inclusive for $500 to Mexico or Cuba, thats a whole different story.

over9five

Staff member
I'm with Klein. Why in the world would you want to go anywhere near there?

I feel so sorry for all the fishermen. There is no way I will ever again eat fish from the Gulf. That industry is dead.

klein

I'm with Klein. Why in the world would you want to go anywhere near there?

I feel so sorry for all the fishermen. There is no way I will ever again eat fish from the Gulf. That industry is dead.

I'll never want to swim in those waters, don't care what they say, and how safe they claim it to be. All the oil and toxic chemicals are still in it for decades to come.
Atleast, that's what I believe.

So, I feel sorry for the tourisum industry there, because I believe many will think just like me, and choose other beaches, outside the Gulf instead.