Chemah Air Drivah Rumah

over9five

Staff member
I heard that all AM air driver jobs were being phased out in all the centers but one.

Anyone hear anything?

I was thinking Sleeve might know something.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I heard that all AM air driver jobs were being phased out in all the centers but one.

Anyone hear anything?

Already been done here, regular drivers run the early AMs. Got rid of the PM air drivers too, regular drivers make all the late drop boxes now.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The guys who run early AM have to leave early, before preload is down. So they have another route that shuttles all the stuff out to them that comes down after they leave. The guys who pick up the drop boxes start late, like 0945 - 1000. All the routes involved were set up before the last bid, so anyone doing it now is doing it by choice.

browniehound

Anyone hear anything?

I can't imagine this happening completely with out major service failures. No? I can see one or two routes phased out, but all of them? I don't know where you work, but I'm maxed out on airs 3 out of 5 days every week. Never mind the specific air routes, but who in CHEMA is going to get the extra airs that the ground driver can't do when he is overdispatched with airs?

I think its a pipe dream unless UPS likes many service failures. However, it might not be a pipe dream if they start some drivers at 630 to deliver EAMS and then do some airs that came in locally before coming back to the center to get their route. Then, I guess, you could have drivers start at 835 and do their route and then have them pick up letter boxes until 2000 and then meet a another full-time driver who will take the airs to the airport? At which time he/she will be punching out at 2200?

This can't really happen, can it?. Why pay a full-time driver $44/hour or $88 over 2 hours to deliver 3 EAM parcels when you can pay an air driver 16-$22 an hour to do so? In the same spirit, how can you pay a full-time driver $44/hour from 1730-2030 to pick-up letter boxes when you can pay an air-driver 16-22$ to do so?

It just doesn't make any sense to me?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Whether it makes sense or not that's the way we're doing it, and it is doable. We're not a little podunk building either. It must be saving money or we wouldn't be doing it, and that's the bottom line.

Already been done here, regular drivers run the early AMs. Got rid of the PM air drivers too, regular drivers make all the late drop boxes now.

I'm hearing that is something that will be put in company wide. Corporate says pm air drivers aren't profitable and wants to make more late start routes to cover the pm work.

BrownArmy

...if they start some drivers at 630 to deliver EAMS and then do some airs that came in locally before coming back to the center to get their route...

There's a route in my center where a driver goes out at 0630 with the truck loaded with as much as can be by the time said driver leaves the building.

From time to time I cover another route in the same town where the first stop is to meet said driver and transfer everything else that came down the belt for said driver's route.

Like many things at UPS, it works OK, but it's not convenient for any of the people involved...

cosmictrucker

counting the months
This can't really happen, can it?. Why pay a full-time driver $44/hour or $88 over 2 hours to deliver 3 EAM parcels when you can pay an air driver 16-$22 an hour to do so? In the same spirit, how can you pay a full-time driver $44/hour from 1730-2030 to pick-up letter boxes when you can pay an air-driver 16-22$ to do so?

$44 HR? Is that US, or some other form of currency?

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
We have 22.3 combo EAM drivers. If anything more comes that they can't handle they would call in an air exception driver. Come to find out, someone filled a grievance (my building or yours I don't know) that went to the national air board or where ever it went that came back and said EAM work is FT driver work. Maybe this is what is hapening.

evilleace

This has already happened in my building and no it does not make any sense at all. We have one EAM driver left. We then have 3 ft drivers that start at 7 they leave with what is on their cars and then the route next to them shuttles out what comes in after they leave. It doesn't make any sense to me to pay both drivers ot one to shuttle the stuff one to deliver the earlies or in our case 6 drivers OT. I guess it saves miles is the only thing I can figure.

Overpaid Union Thug

Our routes all start at their normal times unless they have EAMs and those guys start early of course. We lose our PM Air guy when volume is real low. It happens MAYBE twice a year but other than that its not a good idea at all.

2years2go

\ Graduate member
Where are the savings, you ask? If each center eliminates just 1 or 2 air drivers, that's maybe 1500 less package cars that the company needs to purchase, maintain and fuel. 1500 less health plans, retirement fundings, uniforms, DIADs and in some cases a pt or ft sup position can be saved. NDA is down 20-25% from where it used to be. Driver levels down about 10%. Air drivers end up driving the same to and from miles as a ground driver, only to deliver or pickup a few stops. It only makes sense to consolidate the routes. The wage differential is not that great of a difference once you add benefits. The vehicle costs more than make up for it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I can't imagine this happening completely with out major service failures. No? I can see one or two routes phased out, but all of them? I don't know where you work, but I'm maxed out on airs 3 out of 5 days every week. Never mind the specific air routes, but who in CHEMA is going to get the extra airs that the ground driver can't do when he is overdispatched with airs?

I think its a pipe dream unless UPS likes many service failures. However, it might not be a pipe dream if they start some drivers at 630 to deliver EAMS and then do some airs that came in locally before coming back to the center to get their route. Then, I guess, you could have drivers start at 835 and do their route and then have them pick up letter boxes until 2000 and then meet a another full-time driver who will take the airs to the airport? At which time he/she will be punching out at 2200?

I am an air driver 22.3. Pay rate is actually going to be around 24.40 Aug 1st.

The rumor is very true. However, for the time being it is only a rumor. I have two pretty good sources and neither have mentioned anything, mostly getting the FNN roundabout type stuff.