Chicago Driver Shot

bigbrownhen

That was a good idea about misleading info on the camera Tooner. I work in a really safe area. Low crime rate. A shooting here, even accidental is breaking news.

I also like the distress button somewhere. It would be rather easy for someone to surprise you while in the truck and force you in the back. It can be a little freakey out there in the dark, delivering to a rather strange person. I've had a few of those be up by my truck before I knew it.

I could also see UPS actually put recorders in our trucks for "safety purposes", but actually use them to mico manage us even more than now.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
That was a good idea about misleading info on the camera Tooner. I work in a really safe area. Low crime rate. A shooting here, even accidental is breaking news.

I also like the distress button somewhere. It would be rather easy for someone to surprise you while in the truck and force you in the back. It can be a little freakey out there in the dark, delivering to a rather strange person. I've had a few of those be up by my truck before I knew it.

I could also see UPS actually put recorders in our trucks for "safety purposes", but actually use them to mico manage us even more than now.
The panic button is a good idea, but they'd probably put it where the customer will always hit it with their thumb, LOL. As for the recording camera, you could do like the movie speed and have a continuous loop of you say, picking your nose, removing a wedgie, LOL. But they are both good ideas is used properly.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Two men ordered the deliveryman to hand over his earrings and necklace, prosecutors said, but he refused, jumped from the truck and ran away.

"The victim in this case did nothing more this day than go to work," Assistant State's Atty. Lorraine Scaduto said at the court hearing. "Now he ... may not walk again."

The deliveryman was in serious condition Friday at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, Scaduto said. A bullet remained lodged in his chest, she said.

Paralyzed for jewelry? Good grief...................:sad-little:

over9five

Staff member
Horrible.

Better to carry against UPS policy if you deliver in bad areas.
Better to get fired for defending your life than to end up paralyzed.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Better judged by 12 than carried by 6.
If you never need it no one would know.
If you need it you will be worried for your life, not your job.

The article says earrings and necklace. Not that it matters, but are men allowed to wear earrings? Not here.

I woulda given them anything they asked for, and threw the keys to the truck in for a bonus. But then Im not a guy. And even that does not insure, they will leave you there intact.

Ms Spoken

We don't know everything about this case but, if I was ever put in this kind of situation I would have tossed everything at them and jumped from the truck and ran along the side to the rear bumper. Less chance of getting struck by bullet's but, then after you make it to the bumper what is your next move? Wait for them to exit and open the rear door and lock yourself in? No piece of UPS metal would stop a bullet. Humm what would you have done?
Its just sad that a driver has been hurt and might not ever walk again.

satellitedriver

rod;568604 [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_QjEL0uUgo" said:
YouTube - TEXAS MONTHLY TALKS - TED NUGENT[/URL]
Ted verbalizes my exact feelings.
Even though I do not pack/carry while on duty for UPS, the only panic buttons I wish I could press - in the moment of life threatening danger- is the safety switch and the trigger, on my little auto.
All branches of law enforcement on my route have told me that I should carry, and tell me they will not go where I go to deliver without at least two squad cars.
I can no longer run as fast, or fight, as I use too.
So, I am reconsidering my past position.
My wife read this, and the other related thread.
She just said , "Do what it takes to come home safe to me. Job or no job, as long as we are together we will get by."

It is what it will be.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sat

I agree 100%.

IT used to be that I tried to avoid confrontation as much as I could. Growing up as a boy in a small town in Iowa, I was beaten very regularly by groups of boys who's parents hated Germans. At least once or twice a week walking home from school, a group (always 3-6 or more) would lie in wait to ambush me. One of the interesting things I remember was the threat that if I resisted, they would then assault my other siblings, all of which were younger. So I did not resist, and took the beatings.

One thing that this taught me was first, the people that were doing this were cowards. Not a one would ever confront me alone. I also learned that they use intimidation to keep you afraid.

This all stopped one day at recess. They made the mistake of doing the group thing while I had access to a ball bat. I put two on the ground and was gaining ground on a third before the teachers stepped in.

From that day forward, I made it a point not to allow bullies the upper hand.

That was also why I became a steward at UPS. At that time we had some sadistic sups that were on power trips. Had nothing to do with the driver doing something wrong, they just wanted to play games and flex their power.

While I hold human life as sacred, and morally it would be wrong for me to take another's life, there would be those times.....

d

raceanoncr

Sat

Growing up as a boy in a small town in Iowa, I was beaten very regularly by groups of boys who's parents hated Germans. At least once or twice a week walking home from school, a group (always 3-6 or more) would lie in wait to ambush me. One of the interesting things I remember was the threat that if I resisted, they would then assault my other siblings, all of which were younger. So I did not resist, and took the beatings.

d

Oh, so YOU'RE the one! Well, a belated, "Sorry", danny!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
We don't know everything about this case but, if I was ever put in this kind of situation I would have tossed everything at them and jumped from the truck and ran along the side to the rear bumper. Less chance of getting struck by bullet's but, then after you make it to the bumper what is your next move? Wait for them to exit and open the rear door and lock yourself in? No piece of UPS metal would stop a bullet. Humm what would you have done?
Its just sad that a driver has been hurt and might not ever walk again.
Brings flash backs to me. What could I have done differently? Die!:knockedout:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
A 17 and 19 year little wanna be gang bangers! Not even men enough to confront 1 man alone man to man! 2 on 1 and they need to have a hand gun on them?

And to shot someone over a couple hundred dollars worth of jewelry.

I started a new thread for us to show him support and I will deliver him the printed out posts myself.
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/well-wishes-for-chicago-driver-that-was-shot.254906/

Red, chicago has some very bad places and hundred of different gangs. Are there any areas where ups wont deliver or have armored guards ride with the drivers??

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Horrible.

Better to carry against UPS policy if you deliver in bad areas.
Better to get fired for defending your life than to end up paralyzed.

Agreed. Unfortunately, some of us work in facilities where we are required to pass thu metal detectors. There are ways around that, though...

satellitedriver

Agreed. Unfortunately, some of us work in facilities where we are required to pass thu metal detectors. There are ways around that, though...
Yes, there is.:happy2:
The company can prove that they keep their facility safe, but at the same time can claim
plausible deniability if a driver takes self defense action while doing his route.
Ergo, simple logic dictates that the safety of the facility/center outweighs the safety of the driver.
Where the logic fails , UPS considers a driver a mere extension of the center/facility. Ups demands that they go into areas that they (UPS) can not control, or guarantee, the safety of the driver.
Logic then dictates that the driver becomes responsible for his own personal safety.
Helluva Catch 22