Chicago Driver Shot

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red, chicago has some very bad places and hundred of different gangs. Are there any areas where ups wont deliver or have armored guards ride with the drivers??
Not that I am aware of. Im in the north suburbs and we do have several areas were you try and deliver in the early morning before all the punks wake up. We had a driver beaten near death about 3 years ago in Bellwood.

UPS Lifer

His management team's first question was, "What could this driver have done to avoid this?" According to management, it's always the driver's fault.

Your post is just plain offensive and uncalled for. Do you realize when you post like that it reflects right back on your character?

While his statement about the driver being at fault may be out of place the part about mgmt asking what he could have done to avoid the situation is dead on.

UPS Lifer

While his statement about the driver being at fault may be out of place the part about mgmt asking what he could have done to avoid the situation is dead on.

As long as you put it in context... meaning - how do we minimize the risk of this happening in the future and not from the POV of what did the driver do wrong?

It would be interesting to hear from someone who is currently in Security.

I know that certain high risk areas such as the jewelry district in NYC had guards on the car with the driver. There are also drivers who have a car that tails behind them in high risk areas. In other high risk areas, the customers meet the driver in a neutral location that may be protected by one of the means I described above.

Every problem or challenge has a solution, I am sure there will be procedures set up to minimize future risk.

The procedure will be a PCM on being aware of your surroundings,"now get out there and deliver". The one thing I learned in pkg is that UPS is retroactive not proactive.