Children's Mental Disorders and the Decline of Play

trickpony1

I haven't read the article but, let me guess, I bet the advent of handheld electronic devices and the resulting isolation from family hasn't helped any?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Part of it, is the parents fault. So many people nowadays have kids that shouldn't have kids. Partly because and not limited to the following: Freeloading off the government entitlements off the back of us taxpayers, carelessness, doing what society tells them to do like a ROBOT, pressure from in laws. Its ridiculous that people are that stupid when it comes to that subject. Plus all this technology nowadays puts a damper on kids exercise and play, again can be blamed partly on parents. When I was growing up as soon as me n my next door neighbor were about 9 years old, it was like what toys do u want for xmas? toys, BUCK TOYS lol. I don't want no dam toys get me a bat, a football, a baseball and glove, and a basketball n a basketball goal. 9 years old I was DUNZO with toys, wasn't a lil :censored2: like the rest of the wimpy girly kids lmfao.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I haven't read the article but, let me guess, I bet the advent of handheld electronic devices and the resulting isolation from family hasn't helped any?
Depends on your definition of "play".
I'd say an hour of a child playing Minecraft would much more qualify as play, than an hour spent doing drills on fundamentals at soccer practice. One is mindless drilling of technique, one fosters creativity and originality.
It's not so simple as to just blame technology.

T

Turdferguson

The amount of homework given to my third and fourth grade sons drives me insane. I have had many arguments with their teachers over this.

raceanoncr

No comment on the "Children's Mental Disorders...." but a personal experience that had me shaking my head.

Wife's son posted on FB that HIS 10 yr-old son, our grandson, called his mom (with what? I don't know. A 10 yr-old with a cell phone, perhaps?) at 7 AM (either on the school bus or at school, I don't know) to lament he couldn't get logged on to his Fantasy Football League. Logged on with what? I don't know.

I shake me head just wondering: Would he have called home telling his mom he forgot his homework? He forgot some books? He was worried about a class?

I know the answers to these and many more questions I have.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Part of it, is the parents fault. So many people nowadays have kids that shouldn't have kids. Partly because and not limited to the following: Freeloading off the government entitlements off the back of us taxpayers, carelessness, doing what society tells them to do like a ROBOT, pressure from in laws. Its ridiculous that people are that stupid when it comes to that subject. Plus all this technology nowadays puts a damper on kids exercise and play, again can be blamed partly on parents. When I was growing up as soon as me n my next door neighbor were about 9 years old, it was like what toys do u want for xmas? toys, BUCK TOYS lol. I don't want no dam toys get me a bat, a football, a baseball and glove, and a basketball n a basketball goal. 9 years old I was DUNZO with toys, wasn't a lil :censored2: like the rest of the wimpy girly kids lmfao.

We didn't have toys when I was a kid; just sticks and rocks. Not that many rocks, as I remember.

wkmac

How Coercive Schooling Deprives Young People of Personal Control, Directs Them Toward Extrinsic Goals, and Promotes Anxiety and Depression

See the OP

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
One of the biggest reasons I chose my daughter's day care when she was three was because of the playground. It was huge with lots of shade and best of all, it had playthings where they could use their imagination, such as a wooden airplane and a train they could climb on. She was always telling me stories of their pretend time on those things.

She's now 15 and has a group of friends whose parents allow them the freedom to make a lot of choices on their own, as I do with her. In doing so, all of them are extremely intelligent and are running a great record of making great decisions. If one veers off, the rest give them a pep talk telling them why they're wrong. It's pretty awesome to watch it in action from the sidelines.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
One is mindless drilling of technique, one fosters creativity and originality.
It's not so simple as to just blame technology.
One also fosters obesity, while the other encourages exercise and the outdoors.

Creativity is great. But who cares how creative you are if you're a 28 year old live with your parents gamer, who by the by weighs in at 300 pounds.