Christians ?

Big Babooba

I'm not a big fan of organized religion either but if I was to choose one I would probably become Catholic because I need the exercise. That and the fact that you can do anything you want to all week long as long as you go church on Sunday and ask to be forgivin. At least that is what my hard drinking, womanizing, tax cheating, dope smoking Catholic friends claim anyway.
If you can't get up early on a Sunday morn because because of all the hard drinking, womanizing, tax cheating and dope smoking you did on Saturday night, you can go to mass on Saturday afternoon and pray for forgiveness for the sins you are about to commit. That's what I always did!:happy-very:

moreluck

golden ticket member
" really liked The Davinci Code"

I wonder what DaVinci's area code was?

Angels & Demons............good book and better than Da Vinci Code.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

In this sentence is my only hope for salvation.

But as to the basis of this thread, "are there any faith based Christians here", Jones answered that statement perfectly with his question.

"faith based" reminds me of the terminology that people who profess to be "born again" use. It is the same group who would define Roman Catholics as not being true to Christianity when in fact, as Hoaxster has stated, any Christian sect who derives their theology from the early universal (i.e. "catholic") church have at their core that Jesus died for our sins and that the belief in said act is the key to salvation.

From there they all deviate based on each sects individual interpretation of what is Christianity. Who is the most "faith based" is usually, to the "born again", the sect that most adheres to their interpretation of the bible. And the bible is the only authority that is recognized. The concept of Apostolic Succession is completely rejected by the "born again". The problem is, as it is always with matters of faith, who is right or wrong? I will leave that, as we should all, to the individual.

As for me, I am an ex-Catholic, converted to Methodism, who now describes myself as a Christian agnostic, however strange that may sound.

P.S. I have nothing against born agains, but I find anyone who is overly zealous about their faith a little unnerving.

tourists24

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

In this sentence is my only hope for salvation.

But as to the basis of this thread, "are there any faith based Christians here", Jones answered that statement perfectly with his question.

"faith based" reminds me of the terminology that people who profess to be "born again" use. It is the same group who would define Roman Catholics as not being true to Christianity when in fact, as Hoaxster has stated, any Christian sect who derives their theology from the early universal (i.e. "catholic") church have at their core that Jesus died for our sins and that the belief in said act is the key to salvation.

From there they all deviate based on each sects individual interpretation of what is Christianity. Who is the most "faith based" is usually, to the "born again", the sect that most adheres to their interpretation of the bible. And the bible is the only authority that is recognized. The concept of Apostolic Succession is completely rejected by the "born again". The problem is, as it is always with matters of faith, who is right or wrong? I will leave that, as we should all, to the individual.

As for me, I am an ex-Catholic, converted to Methodism, who now describes myself as a Christian agnostic, however strange that may sound.

P.S. I have nothing against born agains, but I find anyone who is overly zealous about their faith a little unnerving.
whoa,, back the boat up a little... you obviously have some overriding issues to this whole thing. Id like to hear a little more but to me it's a whole lot simpler. You are right on with your points on zealots; they are definitely there. But I still think salvation is still as simple as I posted it earlier. There is a change that happens when you ask to be born again and only those who have actually experienced it knows what I mean. Anything after that is all conversation and arguement (sp?).

moreluck

golden ticket member
So was Joseph Smith like Mary & Joseph's neighbor? Where does Joe fit into the story? Was he in the split level down the road?

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
There is a change that happens when you ask to be born again and only those who have actually experienced it knows what I mean. Anything after that is all conversation and arguement (sp?).

I am not judging anyone's personal religious experiences when it comes to being "born again", I am only pointing out the peculiarities of those who profess to be such.

tourists24

I am not judging anyone's personal religious experiences when it comes to being "born again", I am only pointing out the peculiarities of those who profess to be such.
I guess that's a fair point... ultimately they are the only one to know for sure. I mean,,, either you truly are or you arent. I do find it peculiar why someone would proclaim it and not actually be. It's an easy fix if you're a wanna be and if your not, then why the act? Then again there are those who use the whole hypacritical scenario which I addressed also.

Seems to me that when someone proclaims to be "born again" it is the most personal thing in one's life. ONLY the individual can know if they are or are not. If someone tells me they are "born again" I take them at their word and am happy for them.
When it comes to organized religion, It's hard for me to trust any of them explicitly because they are all operated by men and women that have a certain idea of how it is and should be. They all differ in various sometimes minute ways.
I have read on this thread insinuations that the Chatholic church proclaims to be the one and only true church. Guess what, all religions think that although they may not say it in those words. IF this were not true there would be no need for so many different names for Christianity. I figure G-d can sort it out when He is ready.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Palm Sunday

Palm Sunday commemorates Christ's triumphant arrival in Jerusalem to the cheers of the crowd.
The next day the great crowd that had come for the Feast heard that Jesus was on his way to Jerusalem,
They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting,
"Hosanna!"
"Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!"
"Blessed is the King of Israel!"
John 12:12-13
Later in that week many of the people in that cheering crowd would be among those shouting that Jesus should be executed.
Symbolism

Christian clergy will often use the Palm Sunday story to help people think about the strength of their own commitment to their faith. They may ask believers to think about times that they have been unfaithful to Christ, or been hypocritical in proclaiming their support.
Church services

In many churches, during Palm Sunday services, large palm branches are carried in processions.
In Anglican and Roman Catholic churches, members of the congregation hold small crosses made of palm leaf, both to remember the palm leaves which the people of Jerusalem waved when Jesus arrived, and to remember the cross on which he died.
Some Christians display the crosses from that service in their homes during the year as a symbol of their faith. The crosses are burned at the start of Lent the next year to provide the ash for Ash Wednesday.

over9five

Staff member
Yeah...palms...

I used to have several churches on a route I once had. Guess how they get their palms for Palm Sunday? You guessed it, UPS!

rod

Retired 22 years
Each week I would deliver a box of communion waffers to the rectory and the Priest would call it "God in a box"

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm establishing a new tradition today.......Palm Sunday Corned Beef & Cabbage !! The house smells great, much better than incense!