Christmas Eve excessive hours problem

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
If you don't like cardboard boxes... don't work for UPS

If you don't like working long hours through christmas... don't work for UPS

it's just common sense!
If you love working for the flunkies who could never hack the physical stresses and mental gymnastics of being a package driver, WORK FOR UPS!! I DO!!

C

chuchu

Left my sister-in-laws with the family last night at 10:30 and passed a package car still 30 minutes from the building. At least it looked like he was heading back. Paid holiday or not that is wrong.
Probably a sup.:)

C

chuchu

Christmas Eve should be similar to the day after Thanksgiving. Only deliver next day air and second day, but at straight time.
That would still have been a ten hr day with air only.
I appreciated the ground pkgs. Those deliveries lessened the opportunity for someone to be mad at me.:)

brown metal coffin

I had 225 stops on Christmas Eve and that is at least 70 stops higher than any of my highest previous years. I had plans and I absolutely wanted to make them. But honestly; regardless of my strong personal preference to have a short day; it was still a regular business work day. They didn't cut any routes and everyone worked including folks from business development who had to suit up as helpers.

Could they pay us for that day or have a pay differential; sure they could but they are not obligated to do that just because I have plans. Quite honestly more money would not have made me feel any better about missing church or having dinner with friends and family. Just my opinion.

brownrod

Yep! Another abuse the union should shut down. This was never a problem until the last couple of years. I never complain about working late, never, but when you miss being with the family because you get home at 10:30 on Christmas Eve, I'm sorry, but that's over the line.

I don't mind working late on Christmas eve so much. What I mind is that management is gone and there's not even a thanks.

Back in the day on christmas eve the center manager used to be there on Christmas eve and personally thank us and have cookies and other nice things waiting (I'm being 100% serious).

over9five

Staff member
I don't mind working late on Christmas eve so much. What I mind is that management is gone and there's not even a thanks.

Back in the day on christmas eve the center manager used to be there on Christmas eve and personally thank us and have cookies and other nice things waiting (I'm being 100% serious).
I remember that. It was an unwritten rule that the center manager didn't go home till the last man was in.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Got back to the building at 7:30. center manager and all Supes were still there.