Christmas Eve---Saturday Air or extra work?

packageguy

My center is treating Christmas Eve as a Saturday Air workday and is forcing from the bottom up. I have told my mgt team that I would like to work that day but have been told by all three that they would prefer to use the air drivers and casuals. I want to work for several reasons: first, most of the younger drivers have young children and I think they should be able to spend the day with them rather than working and, second, it is easy money. My interpretation of the contract is Christmas Eve would be considered to be "extra work" and as such should be offered in seniority order.

Setting my personal reasons for wanting to work aside, I would like your opinions as to whether Christmas Eve is extra work or Saturday Air and how staffing should be handled.

From what I heard, they are treating it like the day after thanksgiving

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
All I know is if I touch a ground package this Saturday, I better get Freaking ground rate and if so, I will help everyone under the sun and get all the time I can, LoL. Call center, U need me 4 more, I'm clean again. $$$ talks. They saved enough $$ using me. Done with that.
​You can bet there will be ground. All send agains from friday will be going out (except business). If you have ground make them pay you top driver wages.

HULKAMANIA

This is what I get so tired of. Someone says the union says this another says the union says this. WHAT DOES IT SAY???? Im in the Central and contacted the union and they said they CAN force even if its a 6th report! So what gives??????

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is what I get so tired of. Someone says the union says this another says the union says this. WHAT DOES IT SAY???? Im in the Central and contacted the union and they said they CAN force even if its a 6th report! So what gives??????

There is a National Master Contract, which covers all unionized hourly employees, and then there are supplements, which cover the unionized hourly employees within the locals covered by the supplement. The language in the supplements is specific to the region and supercedes that of the NMA.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
It's Christmas eve. It's our duty to serve the kiddies the presents. Sucks to work Christmas eve but we all new what we were getting into the 1st peak we ever worked for UPS. Wether it was inside or driven. Peak is what UPS is all about. oh wait, it's #'s

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When all else fails, work first - grieve later.

Northshoredriver

i heard they are starting from the bottom up to. But dont they have to ask from the top first cause im sure there are some full timers that will wanna work. Its it time and 1/2?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Here is the way we are working it in my center. The BA and shop steward are both in agreement.

1. Who has the DOT hours left to work, from this group we will work in this order...

2. Premium drivers, 22.3 air drivers and T-S punches.

3. Reg. Temps

4. Volunteers (seniority prevails, bumps #3 above) change from #2

5. Force from the bottom up on seniority list.

Customer counter will be open until 5pm.

Upstate makes a great personal statement, he his giving his co-workers a chance to spend time with the family over the holidays he knows what its like to miss out on these special occasions.

Remember we will be servicing a lot of customers who will be shipping at the last minute. Say what you want but there will be a lot of smiles on Saturday when we make those deliveries so with that said, don't be a grinch on Saturday...

update

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
If you clean up early just insist on helping other driver and take stops off. There's alway gonna be a driver 911 ing center for help this time of yr.

That will get your D.O.T. hrs burned up and they can't work u Saturday then. They'll make me tae a day off just so I have available hrs for a Saturday. I'm like dude, u just killed my plan.

C

chuchu

A) You can take yourself "out of service" on friday nite if you feel you need to.

B) If you move trailers (even on the lot) with ground pkgs in them you qualify for premium drivers pay for the day. You ARE moving ground packages and that issue has been fought and won.

C) If you go over 60 hrs. in the 5 day period it's your butt, can't blame management for that problem.

D) Work as directed (or else) and grieve it later.

E) Be thankful for the blessings we have as UPSers.....we take alot for granted. Merry Christmas!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
It's Christmas eve. It's our duty to serve the kiddies the presents. Sucks to work Christmas eve but we all new what we were getting into the 1st peak we ever worked for UPS. Wether it was inside or driven. Peak is what UPS is all about. oh wait, it's #'s

im 28 yrs in,, there are not many opportunities to be home Xmas eve,, if your in CS than you DONT have to work,, its a rare thing and im goin with it

Not IN Trace

It's pretty simple..don't want to work Saturday....call you SUP...sorry don't feel well..calling in sick..have a nice Christmas... see you on tusday...trust me, you will still have a job on Tuesday.

clarnzz

I don't want to work on Saturday, but if I am forced and it is required per the labor agreement I will be there. My wife has worked in the health care field for 15 years so working holidays doesn't seem as completely nutso to me. We havn't been told how it will be handled in my center yet.

Inthegame

As Upstate said there are different guiding Supplements in different regions. In the Central, there are numerous locals with Riders that contain more specific language. As a general rule, this Christmas Eve, Saturday, is unique and will be a regular workday. In many CRT locals work is offered by seniority as others have posted and FORCED from the bottom up. This usually is a rather pleasant day, even more so at 1.5 rate.