Christmas eve?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dano, it is very easy to multi-quote. Select the post(s) that you want to quote and hit the + button to the far right for each one. You then hit reply with quote on the post that you want to appear first in your reply.

What I will do when I multi-quote is to remove the
from each quoted post and use a different color to reply.

upsguy, if you are instructed not to pick up any ground, including those from a drop box, then by all means don't. I do as it will make it that much easier on Monday. I will also pick up all of the packages from any scheduled pickups on that day. They will sit in the center over the weekend and I won't have to deal with them on Monday.

Bubbles, perhaps I do bleed brown. I just think it unfair that if everyone else has to be there that you tell the OP that is OK to call in. Advancement is by seniority but management tends to have a good memory when it comes to people calling in on the day before a holiday.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Dialing it in on xmas eve is a serious move, I only know two drivers who ever did it. Both times I made sure to shake their hands next time I saw them.

over9five

Staff member
In Feeders, we are on a one day lay-off for Christmas Eve. There is a sign up list to work the few jobs available and some [-]idiots[/-] gentlemen actually signed up!

As there are some who will sign up for Christmas Day as well.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
To the OP: Over has another good point. You call in, you screw everyone else you work with. You are not the only one that has family and plans. We all want to go home and spend time with ours. Suck it up and work.

Everyone around here is working and my sup is doing everything he can to see that we get done as early as possible. All it takes is for one call in to screw everything.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Call ins happen all year long, unless you are the person who called in you have no way of knowing or evaluating their reasons. I always assume they had something going on that day that was more important to them than working, and that's all that matters. I would never put the blame on another employee who called in for me "getting screwed".

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Call ins happen all year long, unless you are the person who called in you have no way of knowing or evaluating their reasons. I always assume they had something going on that day that was more important to them than working, and that's all that matters. I would never put the blame on another employee who called in for me "getting screwed".
You may be right Jones but in this particular case we already know what the reason is. Christmas Eve only happens once a year and we ALL have family that we want to spend time with. The OP's family is NOT any less or any more important than yours and mine.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bubbles, perhaps I do bleed brown. I just think it unfair that if everyone else has to be there that you tell the OP that is OK to call in. Advancement is by seniority but management tends to have a good memory when it comes to people calling in on the day before a holiday.

Davey, I never said I would call off, I rarely do and have never on Christmas Eve.
That being said, I have called off when denied an option day or need the day for personal business.
People do make plans with family that ARE more important than the business.
I have never seen an instance where the packages haven't gotten serviced in my absence.
My purpose was to layout the choices for the OP, who was obviously looking for some validation on his options.
According to him, management pissed backwards on him by originally telling him he didn't have to work, only to do a 180 after he made plans for Christmas Eve with his family.
At this point they have put him to a decision, one only he can make.
With his attendance record, there will be no penalty if he has the stones.
Any perceived hard feelings from management would not be a factor in my decision making process...now how it affected my co-workers? probably.
In the end I can respect either decision.

Last edited:

upsgrunt

In Feeders, we are on a one day lay-off for Christmas Eve. There is a sign up list to work the few jobs available and some [-]idiots[/-] gentlemen actually signed up!

As there are some who will sign up for Christmas Day as well.

Why wouldn't you work one or both days? Isn't Christmas one of two Holidays that you don't believe in? What do you celebrate when you are off?

brownelf

been wondering myself about what xmas eve will bring this year, this is my 33rd w/UPS and so far the worst in many years as far as work hours are concerned. Hopefully the weather will cooperate (but the forecast is calling for snow on x-mas eve) and dispatch will get off their crack pipes that day, and I can get done at a reasonable time. Call me crazy but I enjoy working on x-mas eve, especially when someone's been waiting for that package to arrive by x-mas. It's usually at a customer who may only see me once a year and it's nice to be able to make someone's day by doing something as simple as delvering a package.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The OP is acting like he's the one working on that non-nutritive cereal varnish !! We are in package delivery , NOW ACT LIKE IT !!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Kae3106

If it makes you feel any better, my office will be working. We assumed we would have the 24th off since Christmas fell on a Saturday and we are a Monday - Friday operation. We were told that we were working on the 24th as a show of company solidarity since it is the busiest day of the year for the drivers and operations teams.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If it makes you feel any better, my office will be working. We assumed we would have the 24th off since Christmas fell on a Saturday and we are a Monday - Friday operation. We were told that we were working on the 24th as a show of company solidarity since it is the busiest day of the year for the drivers and operations teams.
Saturday holidays are not observed on Fridays like Sunday holidays are observed on Mondays. I assume a person could use a vacation day to take the day off if desired.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Kae, am I safe in assuming that the pay advice that we will receive on the 31st will be the last one for 2010?