Christmas Time Preload - Whats it Like?

HardknocksUPSer

I enjoy preloading around peak season, all of the petty :censored2: goes out the window and it's all about getting the trucks loaded, I get 12-14hrs a day in peak season and stack my bank account $$$

Sometimes

Mountains of packages. No room to walk. No room left in the cars to put anything in order.
If you are a loader make an effort to he things close to the right shelf. Find out what residential area a driver delivers last and use a floor area to just dump it all to save shelf space. That always worked for me.

HBGPreloader

Last season's peak was a joke. They started us much earlier than previous years, only to have us stand around for a half hour or more while we waited for packages.
Last year's peak starting time was as early as 10:00 pm on Sundays. But, typically, between 11:00 and midnight. And, we normally got out around 9:00 am.
The start time for the remainder of the week was 2:00 and we still got out around 9:00.
After UPS took a hit for this past peak, I suspect that this coming peak will be like previous years - which is more like what most described - hell on earth, too many packages with not enough time or space to load them.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Drivers return at 9 to 10pm, vehicles unloaded at 11 and preload comes in at 12 and begins taking over the shop. So easy to keep things going this way.:death:Glad at least I don't have to deal with preload taking the shop any more.

browner89

Drivers return at 9 to 10pm, vehicles unloaded at 11 and preload comes in at 12 and begins taking over the shop. So easy to keep things going this way.:death:Glad at least I don't have to deal with preload taking the shop any more.

Oh god, most days were 3-4 hours over non peak but we had a couple days where we were really close to working side by side to the preload from our local shift starting at 1pm.

I imagine they would have had us panic clean up whats on the belts and put it on hold til noon or so the next day so preload can get their cars loaded. I really do wonder, I almost WANT to see it happen out of curiosity, or rather, be sick that day and have someone tell me the next day what happened.

Boomhauer

I also work in the South and our helpers make 8.50. Also, it's a completely different shift so it doesn't get added on to hours you already worked on preload.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Oh god, most days were 3-4 hours over non peak but we had a couple days where we were really close to working side by side to the preload from our local shift starting at 1pm.

I imagine they would have had us panic clean up whats on the belts and put it on hold til noon or so the next day so preload can get their cars loaded. I really do wonder, I almost WANT to see it happen out of curiosity, or rather, be sick that day and have someone tell me the next day what happened.
I saw many days where preload showed up before local sort had left.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Last season's peak was a joke. They started us much earlier than previous years, only to have us stand around for a half hour or more while we waited for packages.
Last year's peak starting time was as early as 10:00 pm on Sundays. But, typically, between 11:00 and midnight. And, we normally got out around 9:00 am.
The start time for the remainder of the week was 2:00 and we still got out around 9:00.
After UPS took a hit for this past peak, I suspect that this coming peak will be like previous years - which is more like what most described - hell on earth, too many packages with not enough time or space to load them.
Bye bye loading.....I will be in small sort for peak this year...bagging surepost and humming Christmas music...lol

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It does count toward their total hours worked.
Ya, if you go over 40 hours you'll get OT.
What he means is your shift as a helper won't count towards your OT after 5 hours that part timers get because it's a different shift.
For $8.50 an hour you'd be better off relaxing indoors at a seasonal job in retail.

EmraldArcher

Being a driver helper in the Southern region sucks. You make the same as a new hire (regardless of what your normal inside pay is) and are expected to work harder then the driver making 4x what you are. Unless you desperately need money and have no other options being a driver helper here is, frankly, downright stupid if you already work for the company.

As for pre-load it kind of depends on what you're doing. If you're on a box line in a hub it's likely they don't have space to add more trucks so you will just have much heavier loads and might have to help cover someone else's trucks when they get slammed. Be prepared for lots of confusion and pages and pages of add/cuts. The few weeks right before Christmas in my hub the pre-loaders start at 11 PM Sunday night but hey, at least they get a second 10 minute break. Your regional supplement probably doesn't :censored2: you in the ass quite as hard on that point though, like I said, the Southern region sucks.

Ms.PacMan

I love new hires at peak! It's like watching a horror movie you've seen before with a friend who's never seen it and the best part is watching their face during the scariest parts!

I had a brand new preloader one peak and every morning she would say, "oh my God, I'm soooo hungry".