CIRCLE OF HONOR

SCV good to go sir.

Smart move on your part. I was lucky enough to have someone take me under their wing when I started. I tried to help as
many young guys that I could when my time came.

I hope at least one of them expressed their appreciation for your efforts. If not allow me to say that I'm extremely grateful that veterans like you and my mentor took the initiative to pass on the wisdom associated with this job to us rookies. In my experience, many of the conversations that start off with a question about a certain aspect of this job often turn into advice about life.

I can't help but think that type of mentorship is a chain of mentors and proteges that goes back to the original drivers of this company. I'm still green, but I know that when I become the seasoned veteran that I should continue the generosity that was extended to me.

I could go on and on while expanding on many tangents on the way. So allow me to say from the bottom of my heart (and this goes to all you helpful guys here as well), thank you.

box_beeyotch

Circle of honor guys are recognized but not well enough in my opinion. To be in this profession and on the road 8-12 hours a day in a large vehicle and be accident free for 25 years is a major accomplishment. The company and us as a whole need to do a lot better in terms of recognition and appreciation.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
in our hub we call it the safe lying award.
my statement is true but I want to amend this. in no means did I intend to denigrate the true professionals with integrity that actually earned this award by hard work and diligence. it is extremely hard to achieve this.

I applaud Circle of Honor Drivers. the Elite of the best drivers ( UPS ) on earth.:group-hug:

wo88upsman

Don't understand all the hate unless you are just not a member yet. Most of us that are there worked to get there and took pride in the fact that they got the Patch to show for it.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Don't understand all the hate unless you are just not a member yet. Most of us that are there worked to get there and took pride in the fact that they got the Patch to show for it.
A lot of the hate comes from new school meets old school, and in between. Nowadays, accidents in the past that would be considered instant non avoidable are now avoidable. Management is pressured to find a reason on how the drivers could have done something different as to shift the blame from lack of management training, to showing "we've gone over this 100 times guys, make smart parking choices, this could have been avoided", and blame the driver for lack of clairvoyance.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There are 6 Circle of Honor drivers in my building. I admire them and applaud their professionalism, but they got away with broken mirrors, tree limbs and hit-while-parked incidents that would be an automatic warning letter/avoidable "accident" today. I take safety seriously, but UPS's system for defining an accident and determining avoidability is a joke at best.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Most of us that are there worked to get there and took pride in the fact that they got the Patch to show for it.

We have about a dozen package drivers and a dozen feeder drivers in my Hub that made Circle of Honor. Each one of them that I have talked to is very proud to have made it. No, we are not completely perfect drivers in that we may bump something or get a minor scratch. But to go twenty-five years without doing any major damage is a big accomplishment with the type of demanding driving conditions that all of us go through every day. I had a guy behind me in the checkout line at the grocery door mention the patch on my shoulder the other night. He had retired several years ago after earning it, he told me how much it meant to him to finally get it.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I got mine nice leather jacket took it home my wife looked inside it was monogrammed with initials only they weren't my initials
I would expect nothing less

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
No hate here at all, it's more of an inside joke as I actually first heard the term "Circle of Liars" from a driver with a 25 year patch on his sleeve. Most of those drivers got away with something somewhere along the line but I would never hold it against them, never had a problem shaking their hand and giving a heartfelt congratulations.

10 point

"Circle of Non-Reporters" here.
That statement was out of the mouth of a Circle of Honor, 37 yr driver.

There's legit drivers. We all appreciate them.

But if you drive in downtown Manhattan without a scratch for two weeks you should get two patches and a big steak dinner. Compared to rural routes in my area the metro drivers have it the toughest.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
No hate here at all, it's more of an inside joke as I actually first heard the term "Circle of Liars" from a driver with a 25 year patch on his sleeve. Most of those drivers got away with something somewhere along the line but I would never hold it against them, never had a problem shaking their hand and giving a heartfelt congratulations.
The handful of COHers in my center are looked at with reverence, but with the understanding that things are not the same as they used to be.