City or rural route?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Which one do you prefer and why? I much prefer the rural routes. Give me windshield time and less stress on body. Not only that just get me out of town away from all the people. Let me enjoy nature. I know plenty of drivers in my center though that want nothing to do with roads that will neve be plowed or half mile driveways.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Which one do you prefer and why? I much prefer the rural routes. Give me windshield time and less stress on body. Not only that just get me out of town away from all the people. Let me enjoy nature. I know plenty of drivers in my center though that want nothing to do with roads that will neve be plowed or half mile driveways.

Rural except for the 5 or 10 days a year when we get bad weather.

brownboxman

I have done both, and to me there is no question. Rural routes are much easier. Yes there are days I get tired of long driveways but the grind of traffic in town and the "bulk" that goes with business deliveries is too much. There are dusty days in summer, and the more miles on winter roads but where my route is the icey or snowy days are few and far between. And now as I get to the point I have just 6 months left I am getting to enjoy the job more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's nice to be in town when the weather is bad, but other than that rural routes rule.

I asked my center manager if I could bid two routes---a rural one from April-October and a city run from November-March. I loved my country run---the people were very friendly and the workload was much lighter (except when the summer camps were open)---but it was no picnic during the winter.

I am bidding off of my route next month. Our 9:30 start makes it very difficult to get my air off on a daily basis plus Walmart is being a pain in the ass so I am going back to my first bid route. It is not as hectic as a city run but busier than a rural one.

Jones, I hope you don't regret going to feeders.

S

serenity now

my route is a mix of both * that being said, my center is classified as super rural; i drive 30 miles to get to my area * or 60 miles of travel each day with no deliveries during that time * i guessing some on here don't travel 60 miles all day

S

serenity now

when the needle on my fuel gauge starts bouncing between E and3/4 i know i'm looking at a 180 day

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

when the needle on my fuel gauge starts bouncing between E and3/4 i know i'm looking at a 180 day

When I had my rural route the fuel guage on the pkg car did not always work so I began writing down the ending odometer reading on the DVIR after refueling. I knew that if the number were the same or close I would be OK but if it was off by 20 or more miles that I would have to refuel either before or sometime during the day (we use credit cards and fuel off-site).

We have a mall driver who has run out of fuel twice---how in the hell do you do that on a city route?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Ill take my extended/rural route any day. I've been on all types. City, mall, rural ill take my windshield time any day. I just got a new 7 cube and its the first truck that gets good enough gas mileage that I don't run out of gas or bounces on empty by the end if the day.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have a city, bid on a country, but dont think I will get it. Rural scares me, I have this dream of not being able to find addys. I did run rural before as a swing driver, but I pretty mcuh knew the area. It was more reaxed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a city, bid on a country, but dont think I will get it. Rural scares me, I have this dream of not being able to find addys. I did run rural before as a swing driver, but I pretty mcuh knew the area. It was more reaxed.

You don't have 911 addresses yet? RD/RR numbers can be a pain in the butt until you figure out how the mailman runs his route.

Brownslave688

270 miles 85 stops last night worked about 10.5 and was fine to go out or to dinner or anything after. If I had worked that long on some of these city routes I'd be beat.

Brownslave688

Go to the county courthouse and get a plat book. You'll be fine. If you can't find it NSN. Just tell them it's hard to find without any numbers on a mailbox or anything.

barnyard

KTM rider
I just blew it in a huge way.

We had a retirement and the route was put up for bid. 4 more senior than me, signed, so I thought, "Why bother even getting my hopes up." and did not sign.

Turns out, 2 of them crossed their names off, by phone at 14:30 on the last day it was up, the most senior guy is saying, "I don't know that I really like it." and has told others that if he does not pick it up soon, he is going back to his old route. The guy right above me, decided he would rather stay with his city route than to an all rural route.

I am trying to talk when of the senior guys into keeping it, otherwise it will go to the person right under me that did sign.

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

The route delivers to the area where my wife grew up and blah, blah, blah. I am bummed.

To answer the OP, I am not a fan of all in-town, but have done them and the advantage is eating at a different place every day. My fave is a mix of small town and rural routes. I am the most senior swing guy and I generally choose rural routes that drive 20-30 miles before starting.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

I takes time but I'll take short term aggravation for long term gain.