City or rural route?

wayfair

swollen member
currently on a city route, got bumped off the rural route.... mixed feelings about both...

The rural was great, no traffic but in the area were a lot of oilfield company's, very dusty red dirt roads... and during winter months I've had to back 1/4 mile on a icy dirt road if not further...

the city route I'm on now, I live on area and go home for lunch everyday and yes I take my whole lunch...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've been told that lots of crap has been added to the route since I retired.

They actually had to take stuff off when I took over. The old skipped lunch everyday. I didn't which meant I pulled 30-45 minutes for pick ups everyday. You would think all it would take is a few weeks. It was 6-8 months before they figured it out.

S

serenity now

i like to be driving down a dirt road and see a covey of quail flush * can't see that in town

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
my route is a mix of both * that being said, my center is classified as super rural; i drive 30 miles to get to my area * or 60 miles of travel each day with no deliveries during that time * i guessing some on here don't travel 60 miles all day

I once had a town route 100 miles away from the center!

35-40 stops a day.:happy-very:

Notretiredyet

I'm a city boy, light industrial all metal and paper. It was my first route, looks like it will be my last. Never was one to jump from route to route, my only moves were due to a bump or route cut.

iruhnman630

City.

I prefer to keep moving, massive seat time drives me nuts, and winter in the sticks is horrible.

Punched out after 20:30 every day this week, not only due to the weather, but also due to the route being consistently over dispatched. 10 hour dispatches become 12-13 hour dispatches out there.

djkre8r

As a cover driver I love the rural routes. My favorite route normally runs 80-90 stops and just under 200 miles. Yup, I love that! On a HOT summer day you ride and enjoy the breeze. When I run the city route, it may have 120 stops and 40 miles. I end up ringing wet with sweat within the first 15 minutes (mall route with bulk). In town you have to always deal with traffic and people who can't drive. Also, a sup can be hiding and waiting just to "spy" on you. Rural routes... they aren't going to waste their time coming out to see you plus, no traffic! The best part of a rural route... FISHING ON YOUR LUNCH BREAK!
City Route:
hot.jpg

Rural Route:
lunch.jpg
It's my hour!
fish.jpg
hot.jpg
lunch.jpg
fish.jpg

Thebrownstreak

I'll say to each it's own. Some guys love city routes. Some don't. I was a TCD till 1 1/2 years ago. I was always a city driver as a cover and thought I would hate rural routes. I was assigned my route and it was a rural one. It was like a day and night difference. I now love rural routes. Will probably never go back to a city route. We just had a center rebid and I'm now a satelite cover which kinda sucks, but it will still be rural. Most of our satellites are in the snow belt of PA so the roads do get crappy. You just have to be smart. I'm not afraid to hop out and chain up. I've been amazed how well I can get around after chaining up. I've driven down solid ice roads with chains with no problems. The only thing that sometimes scares me is leaving the truck and hoping it doesn't slide away on the ice. So far no problems.

guinness413

..when i first started driving in 92 i always loved covering the "country route" in our center..a P500..70 stops,maybe 90 pieces..5 pick ups,maybe 10 pieces..110 miles...this was before the 911 address thing was put into play..you would have a box with RD6 box 451a on it as the address..no street name..the regular driver got a big binder from building department with all the names of teh streets matched up to the RDs and Boxes..still you would come to a road and it would have 10 mailboxes at the beginning with the box #s..but no way of matching it to any of the houses..it was still a great route..over the years it built up with McMansions and shopping centers..it has been split into 4 routes now..each one doing around 130 stops and 100 miles..