Class action lawsuit against FDX in CA.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
My buddy just called me and told me he got a letter from FDX legal.
It says that there is a lawsuit against FDX and they were forced to give the plaintiff's attorneys his personal info. (name, addy, phone num.) They said he could be contacted by the other party's attorney's and blah, blah, blah.

Of course it said that he could choose to opt-out of any communication with the other party's attorney's and it also said it may take a class-wide basis. Who in CA knows anything?

Mr. FDX must be salivating. :greedy:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My buddy just called me and told me he got a letter from FDX legal.
It says that there is a lawsuit against FDX and they were forced to give the plaintiff's attorneys his personal info. (name, addy, phone num.) They said he could be contacted by the other party's attorney's and blah, blah, blah.

Of course it said that he could choose to opt-out of any communication with the other party's attorney's and it also said it may take a class-wide basis. Who in CA knows anything?

Mr. FDX must be salivating. :greedy:

"Smithers, Mr. Smith has his wallet open. Release the hounds"!!! I have been forwarded a copy of the letter. This looks like a good one.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What is it about California and lawsuits? Just a little hint, pretty please?

California has more equitable employee rights legislation, unlike the right-to-work (for less) states that Fred loves so much. The letter doesn't specify what the suit is about, but I strongly supsect it involves employees being forced to work off the clock during "break". FedEx loves to set you up in a Catch-22 situation where you are disciplined if you don't get all your stops off, or fired if they "catch" you falsifying. They know exactly what is happening, but management will only go after you if you're not going along with the plan. It's pretty easy to detect falsification if they wanted to (5 stops in 10 mins a mile apart), but they choose to take the better numbers instead.

If this case was brought in South Carolina, Fred would have nothing to worry about. The fact that it's in California is huge because the decision will likely go against FedEx.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Seems like that might just be plausible...

Per F2K in stupid manager's thread...

[h=2]Re: Stupid Managers[/h]
Originally Posted by snackdad
I find it interesting that managers will run the reports that show the things that will negatively affect them yet they will never run the reports that show who is manually entering airbill numbers usually in a flurry right after a paid or unpaid break. The managers do not care that so many people are doing unsafe things or working through lunch breaks as long as their numbers are looking good. It's all about them and they want to keep the senior off their back and look good on reports. Forget about the misery and brow beating they heap down on the couriers to meet their own goals. It is all a numbers game and it all means nothing in reality. The reality will be when someone gets caught falsifying, has an accident or an injury. Guess who pays the price, the courier. It's always the couriers fault.

Actually this is a hot topic right now and is being tracked at the regional level, discussed on service calls each day for anyone who has manually entered POD's and why, any documentation of a Ppad failure etc.

newgirl

Thanks MFE. If it indeed a hot topic, then how do you think management will have to handle it? They can't come out and make an announcement for people not to do it because they would be admitting it happens.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thanks MFE. If it indeed a hot topic, then how do you think management will have to handle it? They can't come out and make an announcement for people not to do it because they would be admitting it happens.

The letter specifically prohibits management from discussing it. You can opt-in (DING, DING, DING!!), opt-out (buzzer), choose to provide information, or not to provide information to the representatives of Initiative Legal Group. "The Plaintiff may ask the Judge to allow the lawsuit to proceed on a class-wide basis and to represent all FedEx couriers employed in the State of California from December 2006 to the present." That's a lot of people.

I hope that all of you California couriers out there remember just how "good" the company has been to you.

bbsam

Staff member
This stinks like hell though. Class action=settle out of court, drivers get a pittance, lawyers laugh their way to the bank.

vantexan

This stinks like hell though. Class action=settle out of court, drivers get a pittance, lawyers laugh their way to the bank.

And whatever the company is doing wrong gets stopped. Of course that probably means an announcement telling us we must now stop doing whatever it was that got them in trouble.

bbsam

Staff member
And whatever the company is doing wrong gets stopped. Of course that probably means an announcement telling us we must now stop doing whatever it was that got them in trouble.
Not necessarily. The company pushes paper and holds some "training" and the boots on the ground march to the same drum beat.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Watch for this specific language to appear. "FedEx denies any wrongdoing, and will vigorously defend itself in court". This means that the case will be settled out of court, and, hopefully (for FedEx and their PR goon squad), out of the headlines.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

This link pertains to former Watkins drivers who now work for FedEx Freight. The CA case is Express, not freight. Looks like the same law firm, which has apparently struck gold with FedEx, no matter what the opco.

FedEx has been getting away with murder for a very long time, and I expect numerous big lawsuits happening very soon.

vantexan

Not necessarily. The company pushes paper and holds some "training" and the boots on the ground march to the same drum beat.

Maybe but I've heard mgrs say a number of times "due to a lawsuit in California..." and we did something differently from then on. Didn't the Ground ISP model start with California contractors suing over employee status?

vantexan

This link pertains to former Watkins drivers who now work for FedEx Freight. The CA case is Express, not freight. Looks like the same law firm, which has apparently struck gold with FedEx, no matter what the opco.

FedEx has been getting away with murder for a very long time, and I expect numerous big lawsuits happening very soon.

Could they sue you over saying they are getting away with murder? Not being smart, but in this climate who knows what they might do to silence a critic.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Could they sue you over saying they are getting away with murder? Not being smart, but in this climate who knows what they might do to silence a critic.

How about this? They have been getting away with "murder" for long time, as in figurative, not literal. But, who knows, maybe Fred has some actual skeletons in his closet, The ex-VP who invented ZapMail could be in there.