Class action lawsuit against FDX in CA.

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe but I've heard mgrs say a number of times "due to a lawsuit in California..." and we did something differently from then on. Didn't the Ground ISP model start with California contractors suing over employee status?
let's just say more has stayed the same than has changed.

snackdad

I got my notification in the mail today. It is my second notice in about 6 months about Ca. class actions. The first was from FedEx legal about a class action led by Initiative Legal Group. I got that letter 10/26/11. I have not heard from Initiative or FedEx about that one since.
Todays letter is from Simpluris Inc. about a class action LaMecia McKenzie v. Federal Express. The letter states I am to receive $189.97 based upon my 64 wage statements received between 2/19/09 and 1/23/12.
Here is a pretty good explanation for the second class action.
http://www.impactlitigation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/mckenzie_v_fedex.pdf

I feel really bad for FedEx Legal getting all these class action lawsuits. I hope they do not keep happening.........Not!

bbsam

Staff member
Told ya before. Class action only really benefits the lawyers. You know. Those professionals looking out for you.

Ricochet1a

Told ya before. Class action only really benefits the lawyers. You know. Those professionals looking out for you.

Are you talking about the professionals at FedEx looking out for the company or the professionals retained by the plaintiffs getting what they should've in the first place?

FedEx got caught and had to pay up - not much for each individual, but that is why there is class action litigation, so that corporations can't engage in multiple actions of a small dollar amount and get away with it since it would be insane for an individual to attempt to go after a huge corporation for what would be peanuts - on an individual by individual basis.

As far as benefit, the plaintiffs only received a few hundred, but the bigger beneficiaries are those who will litigate FedEx in the future for the same antics FedEx always engages in - precedent is important in these matters.

snackdad

I have no problems with lawyers making a few bucks from FedEx. If FedEx were a company that operated with honesty, transparency and true fairness for it's employees it would not have such a target on it's back.
For years I would say keep your stupid safety awards, your bpp payout, your company store credits, bogus Bravo Zulus. Keep it all, just leave us alone and let us do the job that we know how to do. The more you push us the more we resist. FedEx could get increased productivity and team effort through the pride of a job well done and trying your best for a manager you feel happy to work for that recognizes your efforts. The opposite is what we have. The more you do, the more they want. Working in an environment of retaliation, intimidation, and being treated like a child by management only cuts into what we are willing to do to have the company succeed.
Remember you are only as good as your last delivery at express. I hope you are happy at Ground. Did you get the pay out also? Probably not, sorry.
I say let the lawyers have a field day, keep it coming. I am sure Fred will not feel it too much.
I like this article how it describes Fred as a Capitalist Criminal.
PSLweb.org: Fred S: capitalist criminal

dvalleyjim

Actually CA is a right to work state, CA loves lawyers and has no caps on any lawsuit. A person can sue anyone for anything in the beautiful golden state and we all love it that way.

XFILED

Letter said Fedex settled and were getting a payout...Mine was around $450.00 but my buddy was getting $490.00...

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Are you talking about the professionals at FedEx looking out for the company or the professionals retained by the plaintiffs getting what they should've in the first place?

FedEx got caught and had to pay up - not much for each individual, but that is why there is class action litigation, so that corporations can't engage in multiple actions of a small dollar amount and get away with it since it would be insane for an individual to attempt to go after a huge corporation for what would be peanuts - on an individual by individual basis.

As far as benefit, the plaintiffs only received a few hundred, but the bigger beneficiaries are those who will litigate FedEx in the future for the same antics FedEx always engages in - precedent is important in these matters.

"FedEx denies any wrongdoing and will vigorously defend itself in court" (where they will lose if it ever comes to trial or settle out of court so it costs them less because they are EFFING GUILTY!!)
Class actions are the way to go, and as Ricochet stated, once there is a precedent lawyers in other states will start sniffing around. What a corrupt organization.

XFILED

The big payout in California was for the Racial discrimination Lawsuit they had about 5 or 6 years ago...The one before that was pretty good...Got a couple G's for the working through our lunches lawsuit...Before the lunch lawsuit i remember telling my Manager if i work through my lunch break that Fedex owed me a extra hour of my regular rate of pay for not getting my lunch in...Ive also told him that it applied for missing either of my 29/29's and he would always say Fedex legal knows the law and that i was wrong..Hr told me the same thing...The Sr also...Even when i dropped a piece of paper on them that showed the law and the Labor Code section...Sure enough two years later we were getting a payout for that exact same thing and they started writing us up if we didn't start our lunch within 5 1/2 hours...
Fedex didn't care if we worked through our lunches...I remember numerous times I would be too heavy and would tell the Manager i wasn't gonna be able to get my lunch in and they would say "Do the Best You Can","I Have No Overflow","Send a Help Message",Or The Funniest One "Take Everything and Ill get You Some Help"..

bbsam

Staff member

I am surprised at you Ricochet. This is a miniscule amount for Fedex to pay and a tiny speed bump to the business model. Drivers get a few hundred bucks, lawyers get a huge payday, and Fedex rewords it's contracts slightly, holds a couple training seminars with midlevel management and basically sidesteps the issue. ISP is a good example of this.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I am surprised at you Ricochet. This is a miniscule amount for Fedex to pay and a tiny speed bump to the business model. Drivers get a few hundred bucks, lawyers get a huge payday, and Fedex rewords it's contracts slightly, holds a couple training seminars with midlevel management and basically sidesteps the issue. ISP is a good example of this.

Just another illustraton of how FedEx screws it's employees at every opportunity and disregards laws and reguations at will. They only stop once they've been caught. So ethical.

bbsam

Staff member
Just another illustraton of how FedEx screws it's employees at every opportunity and disregards laws and reguations at will. They only stop once they've been caught. So ethical.
I hope you are not suggesting that I said they were ethical. And they do not "stop once they've been caught". They redefine what they are doing to fit the letter of the law.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I hope you are not suggesting that I said they were ethical. And they do not "stop once they've been caught". They redefine what they are doing to fit the letter of the law.

That's a good way of putting it, but the basic FedEx M.O. is to do it until they get caught, plead innocence, make a token payoff, and then contiinue doing the same thing in a slightly altered form.

For example, aftet the large Black/Latino $51 Million settlement in CA, they did away with some testing and elevated a few more minorities into management positions. Oh, and they started publishing "Diversity Appeal", a self-promotion rag that "proves" how diverse FedEx is, when it really isn't. They also started funding a lot of phony diversity awards, big splashy parties in DC and the like. Nothing has really changed but the window dressing.

fedex_rtd

Just got a memo outlining changes or to quote the memo "improvements to your pay statement coming soon"

As of April 6th for the pay period ending March 31st we will have a new format to our pay statement. They say the pay statement will be CLEARLY broken down into the following categories. Straight time, overtime, double time, non-worked hours, other earnings.