class action lawsuit against UPS

U

Unlogged in Harry Manback

I know of two drivers in our bldg getting over 15k each. Another at 14k. Me? A measly $3200.00. :cool:

Crying shame. I've never heard of this. I wouldve jumped on even if i got zero on the return. I cover one route, (the only person they have trained to do so) that if you plan on having a decent day, then you'd better be there 1.5 hrs before start time. 20-30 nda's 200-250 letters to sort through along with the other 350 ground pkgs you'll need to rumage through to wipe your loader's..err...behind. When the 1400 mssg comes in and I reply no, my phone starts ringing..."Cmon man!! You can do it!!! Think about all that bonus!!!" What more can i give?? It's all i can do to get the businesses off, by 1530. 12hrs+no break=Dangerous no matter how you paint it. The worst part about it is, they know you'll skip lunch; so give him another 20 stops. "Ride 'em hard and put 'em up wet" Seems to be the m.o. in our center. I wish the lawsuit would've gotten more out of UPS. The certainly can afford it, what with all the free work they get out us. Think, Im gonna make a copy of this thread and place it on my center manager's desk in the morning.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Crying shame. I've never heard of this. I wouldve jumped on even if i got zero on the return. I cover one route, (the only person they have trained to do so) that if you plan on having a decent day, then you'd better be there 1.5 hrs before start time. 20-30 nda's 200-250 letters to sort through along with the other 350 ground pkgs you'll need to rumage through to wipe your loader's..err...behind. When the 1400 mssg comes in and I reply no, my phone starts ringing..."Cmon man!! You can do it!!! Think about all that bonus!!!" What more can i give?? It's all i can do to get the businesses off, by 1530. 12hrs+no break=Dangerous no matter how you paint it. The worst part about it is, they know you'll skip lunch; so give him another 20 stops. "Ride 'em hard and put 'em up wet" Seems to be the m.o. in our center. I wish the lawsuit would've gotten more out of UPS. The certainly can afford it, what with all the free work they get out us. Think, Im gonna make a copy of this thread and place it on my center manager's desk in the morning.
Dont know nothing of lawsuits, but if they git it free you give it to them. We arent locked out but now we can put our lunch in 4 increments which is what I do usually, and I only get 1/2 hr.

Last edited:

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
Ok, I'm one of the Washington drivers who dealt with the lunchtime deal here a couple years ago. Here's one thing to consider (and I'm sure it'll come up too). Federal law (could be state, have to check) on lunches only requires 30 minutes. UPS can not require an hour lunch (even if it's agreed in the contract). UPS and the Teamsters can agree in a contract that running over the competition is legal (but doesn't make it legal in the eyes of the law of the land). We've already been through this as well. They tried to force us all into 1 hour lunches. Lasted a couple weeks. The federal law says, I do believe, 30 minutes and taken between your 2nd and 6th hours (well outside the 4th and 6th hours in our contract). We can take our lunchbreak before the 4th (just before the 6th). In fact, I usually take my break just before the starting of my 4th hour (depending on start time for the day). Remember, no agreement can be worse then the "law" provisions. Has to fall in the state/federal guidelines or be BETTER then them (not more restricting). I know I haven't taken a one hour lunch in YEARS.

Onto your diads. They will go to "sleep". It will lock up for whatever time you take (will ask you to take 30, 60, or misc I believe, I never look because I always take a 30). You can pull away from lunch early, but if it's under the 30 minute mark you better have a reason to give them (they get flagged if you pull off lunch early). In fact, your computer will start prompting you once you've hit a certain time frame that you have to start your lunch. But I agreed with our win all the way. We were deducted 30 minutes pay if we skipped our lunches (and of course we were not adding them into our diads).

Also, would like to add about taking or not taking lunches. I know not all centers are this way, but some centers are bonus centers. Some had good enough allowances you could skip your lunch. So you'd get done 30 minutes earlier (and sometimes more since you'd have route done before your pickups) and still get paid your guaranteed times. For those who aren't in a bonus center, you are dispatched with your planned day. If you go out with a 10.2 day and get it done in 7.5 hours, you still get paid 10.2 hours on your check. Only difference, it's at straight pay for the full 10.2 hours. We used to have awesome allowances, which allowed most of us to do this. Only problem, after this suit above our numbers changed BIG TIME. Claimed they never adjusted the move from paper to diad. Only problem, old paper wasn't that slow (I know, I was one of the last drivers trained pre diad, so know what it was like). We saved some time, but not as much as they tried to cut. Now, if we had to do paper with all these barcodes, you betcha it'd take alot longer. But things were different, and things were faster to work out (I think I spent more time balancing my cash ledger then I did figuring out my delivery totals to put on my old paper timecard).

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Steelheader, glad you got your real identity back. I tried to add to my last thread but was too late.
I was trying to say, for those not on bonus, that if you skip your lunch, you are giving away time. And if someone is getting crunched with 12+ HOURS THEY NEED TO HAVE THE INCONVIENIENCE OF A RIDE, to prove that their dispatch needs to be lowered. If you are skipping lunch, and getting it done they will give you 20 more......and 20 more, until you break. Then it will be your fault...I take my lunch in increments, which we are now allowed to do, as there is no where on my route I want to sit for 30 minutes. I may talk to a homebound person for ten minutes, or answer someones stupid questions for 5, or take a snack break 3 xs, but nowhere I want to be for 30. But if I dont take them, they will give me more work instead, so I take them, even tho I would rather just work through and go home.

sendagain

The case has been arbitrated and settled: any driver not signing the form is merely throwing his money into the hands of other drivers who do. No matter what you may feel about this kind of lawsuit, UPS has decided to pay the money; anyone deciding to not take it is just playing the fool.

A

Another Driver

More money for me if you don't sign! I don't know why everyone is so mad at the lawyers that are litigating this. It's not the lawyers that thought this lawsuit up-it was workers who saw this problem and tried to resolve it in other ways. This lawsuit is a direct result of UPS not fixing a problem that was brought up many years ago and never fixed. Could have ended differently if UPS wasn't so arrogant. Of course if you work over 10 hours (and who doesn't) you get a third break. As a result of this lawsuit, I believe, is this push for 9.5 hours of work or less each day. I don't know why everyone is so angry about this issue. I don't like lawyers anymore than the next guy, but without them, I bet, we still would not be getting paid for a third break. This would not have even been an issue (meaning it would be a done deal) if the country wasn't in such a union-busting mood.

tieguy

Banned
"...it's taken out whether you take a lunch or not", could that be called stealing?

Taking lunch is the most important thing I do during the day. Forget the customers, forget service....but then I'm a feeder driver who doesn't have to "run and gun" like pkg drivers.

The human body needs to rest and refuel. It's not good to run like a chicken with it's head off all day long....especially when it destroys the pkg drivers body and pads the pocket ( through bonus) of the supervisor who kicks back, laughs and counts his money

LOL, hurry up and get to chapter two of teamster fairy tales. it gets even better then this chapter you quoted.

Each person is different some need the full hour. Some don't and don't want it. They should be allowed to take less then an hour if they so decide. the legal vampires in california will force everyone to take the hour regardless of how they feel about it.

California even has provisons for another lunch for anyone working more then 10 hours. I think that particular issue is the money maker for this legal case. Feeder drivers will profit because our systems aren't set up to allow for the extra lunch.

daddaj

LOL, hurry up and get to chapter two of teamster fairy tales. it gets even better then this chapter you quoted.

Each person is different some need the full hour. Some don't and don't want it. They should be allowed to take less then an hour if they so decide. the legal vampires in california will force everyone to take the hour regardless of how they feel about it.

You're the one living in lah-lah land, if you think the contract should yield to fat butt feeder drivers. Get a clue, the issue isn't about you and comatose friends who don't want lunch, rather, unrealistic planned days that force drivers to work through their lunch, unpaid. Union or not, for many UPS is an intimidating place to work. UPS should thank its lucky stars the settlement agreement only covers a few years:

Smokin' Joe

daddaj

"...it's taken out whether you take a lunch or not", could that be called stealing?

The human body needs to rest and refuel. It's not good to run like a chicken with it's head off all day long....especially when it destroys the pkg drivers body and pads the pocket ( through bonus) of the supervisor who kicks back, laughs and counts his money

Excellent post trickpony, and how wonderful to hear from a feeder driver who hasn't forgotten the difficulties of being route driver. I recall analogy by a doctor very knowledgeable on physical nature of UPS drivers job. He likened the body to bank account, the job to withdrawals and rest to deposits. The job keeps making withdrawals on the body but unfortunately the driver never gets enough rest to cover them and eventually your body is in bankruptcy. Something will give, for some sooner and others later, but eventual every unhealthy action will come back to haunt. These were the words of UPS company doctor (Yes, UPS no longer uses his service).

I know many here dream of retiring and receiving a generous pension check every month for years to come, perhaps to the average US life expectancy of 74 and longer. Unfortunately the UPS/Teamster pension fund actuary estimation disagrees with that notion. That calculation says you'll be dead within 11-1/2 years of retiring. Means many UPS drivers retiring in thier near mid-fifties years will be dead long before reaching 70 and prematurely. Pretty somber thoughts for person able to last with UPS until retirement age. Let the idiots live in bliss of lah-lah land, the rest should do whatever you can to beat the actuaries

Smokin' Joe

tieguy

Banned
You're the one living in lah-lah land, if you think the contract should yield to fat butt feeder drivers. Get a clue, the issue isn't about you and comatose friends who don't want lunch, rather, unrealistic planned days that force drivers to work through their lunch, unpaid. Union or not, for many UPS is an intimidating place to work. UPS should thank its lucky stars the settlement agreement only covers a few years:

Smokin' Joe

my , my such a harsh response from someone who joined a "i'm too stupid to take my lunch" lawsuit and got rewarded with money he did not earn or deserve in any way. The next thing you and the other california thieves will tell me is that you have integrity. ROFLMAO.

trickpony1

my , my such a harsh response from someone who joined a "i'm too stupid to take my lunch" lawsuit and got rewarded with money he did not earn or deserve in any way. The next thing you and the other california thieves will tell me is that you have integrity. ROFLMAO.

I think daddaj just finished talking about, "......unrealistic planned days that force drivers to work through their lunch, unpaid.".....just to get the job done and make commits.
So who is the thief here and who is lacking in integrity?

For someone who seems to have an uncanny ability to twist others words around, I know a management poster that may want to question his own integrity. :thumbup1:

helenofcalifornia

It's state law here in California that you have to take lunch. Tie, are you saying that UPS is above the law? And we can take 1/2 hour instead of 1 hour if we want. Please try and reply w/o sarcasm.

DS

Fenderbender
For those who aren't in a bonus center, you are dispatched with your planned day. If you go out with a 10.2 day and get it done in 7.5 hours, you still get paid 10.2 hours on your check.
I believe this is wrong.
If you go out with a 10.2 day and get it done in 7.5 hours,
you get paid for 7.5 hours.
The same 10.2 day done in 10.2 hours,will give you 8 hours
straight time and 2.2 hours overtime.
If it takes 11.2 hours,you get 3.2 hours overtime.
At least thats how it is where I am.
This is assuming you are taking your full unpaid break.
Personally if I`m having a rough day and I cant get my break,
I call and request a code 05.If they say no,I ask for help.if
no help comes,I have missed.Problem solved.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I believe this is wrong.
If you go out with a 10.2 day and get it done in 7.5 hours,
you get paid for 7.5 hours.
The same 10.2 day done in 10.2 hours,will give you 8 hours
straight time and 2.2 hours overtime.
If it takes 11.2 hours,you get 3.2 hours overtime.
At least thats how it is where I am.
This is assuming you are taking your full unpaid break.
Personally if I`m having a rough day and I cant get my break,
I call and request a code 05.If they say no,I ask for help.if
no help comes,I have missed.Problem solved.

In a non bonus center If you do 10.2 in 7.5 you get 8 (guarantee)
In a bonus center, you get 10.2 but you are home cookin out for 2.2 hrs and still gettin paid.

The rest is the same here.

Hence the reason people skip breaks lunches and run like heck.

In a non bonus center, you get paid for everthing you work, on your time card, late early, it doesnt matter, if you do a 10.2 in 8, you get 8, and give away the rest. You get paid for your time on the clock only. Bonus you get paid for your dispatch, if you are under you gain the ot without being there doing it. You already did it, and you are so loved.

It has become a big talking point. skipping luches and all. One of the guys I work with said he skipped his to get to bible study, his choice, we all have things to get to. But he was still a half hour late, so he would have been an hour late if he had took it, and he is a runner.

/the numbers make no sense, dont try to beat it, take your breaks, your body needs it, if you need to break your neck to get done early do it but it will only get worse if we keep giving away our hard work.

Unles you have a recent time study, dont try to kill yourself if you know it cant be done. And when you look at the OR in the am, and your body is still hurting from the day before, any reasonable person knows, you couldnt do what you did in an hour less, or 2 in some cases, its just incorrect info measuring your time, you know it, they know it, no one seems to have the power to fix it, so it is what it is bogus.

DS

Fenderbender
In a non bonus center If you do 10.2 in 7.5 you get 8 (guarantee)
In a bonus center, you get 10.2 but you are home cookin out for 2.2 hrs and still gettin paid.
Ok tooner but if it took me only 7.5 hours to do what they call
10.2 hours work,would the time and a half ot cut in after 8 hours as well?
Come to think of it if anyone can do 10.2 hours work by ups standards in 7.5 hours,they are doing something illegal

tieguy

Banned
It's state law here in California that you have to take lunch. Tie, are you saying that UPS is above the law? And we can take 1/2 hour instead of 1 hour if we want. Please try and reply w/o sarcasm.

Helen,
I believe you should have taken your lunch not taken money you did not earn. I am absolutely shocked to see dd and you brag about the money that you basically stole through the court system.

DS

Fenderbender
Tie you are missing the point.
years and years of not taking lunch were taken
off the checks of millions of upsers that didnt have time to take lunch.If you know what I mean.

tieguy

Banned
Tie you are missing the point.
years and years of not taking lunch were taken
off the checks of millions of upsers that didnt have time to take lunch.If you know what I mean.

DS I don't think I missed the point at all and I've heard many a hard core teamster make the same point. Just take your lunch. If you don't take your lunch don't blame anyone esle but yourself. That whole lawsuit lacks any integrity.