CLASSIC GROUND DRIVER

bacha29

"Dirt" "DIRT'. Do have any idea about how many Ground guys are going to have to go in for counseling? They're crushed. After all when Smith bought RPS he didn't have enough money to pay cash.He had to buy it with stock. Just another X guy with a completely undeserved sense of self importance.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Actually it's not the individual drivers at Dirt I'm trying to degrade. At Express, those with any longevity were trained that IMAGE and PROFESSIONALISM were desired, no, demanded traits a courier must possess. We challenged each other to be the BEST, not minimally adequate. Those who refused to improve were left to themselves to flounder. We took PRIDE in our image and professionalism. If he DIRT opco wants to present themselves as the great unwashed, tatted and pierced, they should be prohibited from displaying the Fedex emblem, because J.Q.Public sees us as ONE and the SAME, when nothing is further from the truth. When a Marine veteran sees a hippie wearing a surplus uniform, he is no more disgusted than I am at some of the Dirt drivers I see. If Fedex can't hold Ground to the same standards we are held to, they need to drop the Fedex brand from the division.

It will be fine

Actually it's not the individual drivers at Dirt I'm trying to degrade. At Express, those with any longevity were trained that IMAGE and PROFESSIONALISM were desired, no, demanded traits a courier must possess. We challenged each other to be the BEST, not minimally adequate. Those who refused to improve were left to themselves to flounder. We took PRIDE in our image and professionalism. If he DIRT opco wants to present themselves as the great unwashed, tatted and pierced, they should be prohibited from displaying the Fedex emblem, because J.Q.Public sees us as ONE and the SAME, when nothing is further from the truth. When a Marine veteran sees a hippie wearing a surplus uniform, he is no more disgusted than I am at some of the Dirt drivers I see. If Fedex can't hold Ground to the same standards we are held to, they need to drop the Fedex brand from the division.
Have you seen the average express driver lately?

bacha29

Fred's Myth needs to change his handle to Fred's Lap Dog. It's quite obvious he has made many trips to the Fedex Mind Control Academy and Reeducation Camp. AND HE LIKES IT. And of course one must be at his pristine best appearance when delivering those ball busting envelopes. If after dragging around those truck bumpers, backhoe buckets cement mixers, steam jennys , I beams, living room suites gun safes etc, the disheeveled appearance of a Ground grut can be attributed to two substances Fred's Myth has never seen before. It's called sweat and dirt.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Fred's Myth needs to change his handle to Fred's Lap Dog. It's quite obvious he has made many trips to the Fedex Mind Control Academy and Reeducation Camp. AND HE LIKES IT. And of course one must be at his pristine best appearance when delivering those ball busting envelopes. If after dragging around those truck bumpers, backhoe buckets cement mixers, steam jennys , I beams, living room suites gun safes etc, the disheeveled appearance of a Ground grut can be attributed to two substances Fred's Myth has never seen before. It's called sweat and dirt.
I've busted my butt for 20 years and sweated enough that my uniforms could stand by themselves. Never felt the need or desire to decorate my body to attract attention. If I've offended you because I take pride in my appearance and ethics, I couldn't care less.

bacha29

If Mr. Fred thinks he as a Ground contractor can get better people for the money a contractor can pay a person, I challenge him to become one.No disrespect for those guys but let's face it, many Ground drivers are part of the socio/economic underclass of this nation . They are products of their conditioning but are trying to better themselves and further more Mr. Fred if your retirement income includes dividends/ capital gains from X stock keep in mind the fact that if it wasn't for Ground that $150 stock would be about half that. So don't condemn that Ground guy if he isn't as pretty as you think he should look. As for my opinion of you Mr. Fred. Let's put it this way. You're not my family and your not my friend. All you represent to me is well, just so many people.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It is possible to take pride in yourself without speaking ill of others. That fact that you can't do that shows quite a bit about your character.

I think the statement that most Ground drivers belong to the economic underclass is accurate. If Mr. Smith had his way, Express employees would also make Ground-level wages because he's made it abundantly clear that he is way too good to us already in terms of worthless benefits and low wages.

For the time being, we're not all Ground...yet. There is no way that the average Express driver has sunk to the level of the Dirt Driver with his duct-taped mirrors, 20+ year-old ex-RPS truck, and general unprofessional behavior.

But we're catching-up fast. Mr. Smith's revolving door of turnover is quickly creating a work environment of underachievers and scruffy bums who exhibit none of the driving behaviors that characterize a true professional. You never see a UPS driver nosed into a dock or parking spot, nor do you see them speeding, weaving, lost, or taking-up two spots on a loading dock or leaving their vehicle running.

We'll get there. Fred's cheapness ensures it will happen.

dex 84

The world doesn't see this as a Ground driver. They see a fedex driver. Fedex tells the world that this isn't a fedex employee, it is an employee of a company that fedex contracts with. The truck says fedex. The shirt says fedex. The fact that fedex is using separate companies that they contract with to provide drivers makes them look like they'd rather do things on the cheap rather than be in a position to control the quality of their own drivers. Serious damage is being done to the brand here and I don't think it's really even saving all that much money in the long run.

Also, UPS drivers don't leave their truck running all day long because they're so closely monitored that they would hear all about it if they even left the truck running or the door open for one stop. Not that they would all do it if they could but some certainly would. Depending on what area I'm in I might leave the truck running. If there's nobody around why bother shutting it off?

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The world doesn't see this as a Ground driver. They see a fedex driver. Fedex tells the world that this isn't a fedex employee, it is an employee of a company that fedex contracts with. The truck says fedex. The shirt says fedex. The fact that fedex is using separate companies that they contract with to provide drivers makes them look like they'd rather do things on the cheap rather than be in a position to control the quality of their own drivers. Serious damage is being done to the brand here and I don't think it's really even saving all that much money in the long run.

Also, UPS drivers don't leave their truck running all day long because they're so closely monitored that they would hear all about it if they even left the truck running or the door open for one stop. Not that they would all do it if they could but some certainly would. Depending on what area I'm in I might leave the truck running. If there's nobody around why bother shutting it off?

UPS management knows just about everything a driver does during the day due to telematics.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I know. I'm saying that's why you never see a UPS driver leave their truck running, drive without a seat belt, back out of a driveway, etc.

They're even scrutinized on a decision to back-up or not. I've heard that you can be disciplined for choosing to make a back, even if there was no accident.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Fred & Co. don't care. They figure they'll be all retired somewhat soon and it'll be someone else's mess to clean up while they safely land with their golden parachutes. By then the damage may very well be beyond repair.

bacha29

Excellent Cactus: Smith is going on 72 and I don't think the retirement rules governing board members can be amended again to extend it beyond the current 75. Fred S only holds about 7% of the companys stock but how much his holding company holds is another matter. It will be interesting to see who will sit on the board of directors 10 years from now.