Classic Upper Management Fail

Ricochet1a

If I had heard you give that explanation, I would have thought you either had and agenda or you had gone slightly bonkers yourself. That might be the "strange look on their face".:peaceful:

It directly answers "What is going on in FedEx", in less than a minute.

People should be careful of what questions they ask... they may just get an answer that DIRECTLY addresses the situation.

Ricochet1a

A guy in the NBA who shoots at the same 10' goal, from the same 3 point line, from the same free throw line, on the same 94' court as I do gets paid just a hair under a half million dollars.

I didn't sign up with the NBA and the Ground guy didn't sign up with UPS.

So PSP is all good and well for those who happen to work for Express...

But the serfs that happen to deliver Fred's non-Express volume are in the "minor leagues" and aren't worthy of comparable compensation for their work????

HomeDelivery

So wait a second here... Home Delivery drivers aren't supposed to pick up Ground deliveries either?? That's news to me. I had no idea! Lmfao. Learn something new everyday, I guess.

I did on a few occasions; when the clients are FEDUP waiting for the GROUND guy to stop by and take it, they'll call the HD division to pick it up. since Ground/HD barcodes are the same, I scan & code it as a "Calltag picked up".

when I close the stop, it'll be counted as a non-delivered item

--------------------

i didn't get what you mean by the term, "red label"

bbsam

Staff member
No, I DO believe it. When it comes to something as simple as picking up a small package - and someone IN A FEDEX UNIFORM refuses.... Customers get pissed.

If, if Ground was organized with the drivers wearing NON-FedEx uniforms, then the customers would have some reason to suspect what they are being told is "valid".

Seeing someone come into their place of business, wearing a FedEx uniform, delivering "FedEx" shipments - THEN telling them that they can't touch a particular piece because it is from another opco....

Customers get pissed, and they start looking for alternatives. I've seen it first hand and I've had my ear chewed off from people who know I used to work for that company.
The customers are getting the idea. The ones I come into contact with routinely ask, "Can you take this?" Often they look at the shirt, "Oh, you're Ground. Can you take this?" I don't see them getting pissed at all. Alot of times they haven't even called the pickup in and in the cases where they have and it is an Express package, the scanner sends a message to CPC who then contacts Express. I wouldn't doubt that one day the scanner will simply alert Express automatically.

So to your previous post, maybe you do believe that it could be the great downfall. But it's obvious that FDX is working to smooth out the bumps in the road and with all you know I would be surprised if you bet against their ability to get satisfactory results.

Ricochet1a

Ground drivers can organize against their respective ISP guys/route owners. Bbsam's guys can organize against him, should they choose. Just think, a guy with 5 drivers is in a world of hurt if 3 of them want union representation.

To those of you with a wedge up your butt over Ground, your best bet is to get Ground drivers to organize in that manner. Just saying.

Oh yes... a union of three.

Who in the hell is going to negotiate a contract for 3 workers?

You know damn well that unions need to achieve a certain "critical mass" of membership (when it comes to negotiating contracts), to cover their costs.

And if a Ground contractor's drivers ever did attempt to bargain - they'd be shown the door and the next applicants would be brought in.

Give up your corporate talking points shill....

bbsam

Staff member
So PSP is all good and well for those who happen to work for Express...

But the serfs that happen to deliver Fred's non-Express volume are in the "minor leagues" and aren't worthy of comparable compensation for their work????
That is what MFE and others around here have insisted, isn't it?

bbsam

Staff member
It directly answers "What is going on in FedEx", in less than a minute.

People should be careful of what questions they ask... they may just get an answer that DIRECTLY addresses the situation.
The accuracy of the answer is absolute but means nothing to the questioner.

Ricochet1a

Outside of a monopsonistic labor market, how in the hell do you pay wages that are "below market level" without having turnover rates >100%?

Market level wages are determined when the employees have a reasonable expectation of organizing to obtain higher wages. The Ground system has gotten around that system by taking away ANY ability for the drivers to organize. Just the real threat of unionization makes employers pay a "market wage", instead of the lowest they can possibly get away with.

A market wage ISN'T the wage that those with no power are willing to accept (how many Express Couriers would work for Ground wages.... there is your answer), a market wage is the the wage that those who participate in an equitable labor market accept - that includes a reasonable option to organize to bargain with their employer to gain what THEY feel is equitable compensation for the work they perform - IF THEY SO CHOOSE.

The wages Express pays, ARE what I'd consider "market level wages". They are definitely BOTTOM of the mark, but the Couriers and RTDs have so far refused to organize.

THE ONLY REASON EXPRESS IS PAID WHAT THEY ARE AND GROUND IS PAID WHAT THEY ARE, IS THE POTENTIAL OF EXPRESS TO UNIONIZE. That is the SOLE reason there is a differential in compensation between the two groups of employees doing the exact equivalent work.

The helpers who drive for Ground are those who are so far down on their luck, that they are desperate for work. If they worked for their real employer, they'd unionize in a heartbeat and their wages would rise. The situation that exists in Ground is legalized exploitation of those who have no power to change their situation with their employer - since they aren't "technically" working for their true employer.

Last edited:

Ricochet1a

That is what MFE and others around here have insisted, isn't it?

Everyone has their "self interest". There is nothing wrong with that - and I wasn't arguing that someone shouldn't have self interest.

What I was trying to get across to the "Express types", is the rank hypocrisy that exists in FedEx. Express tries to tell its wage employess that "FedEx Cares", and tries to instill a sense of "identity" (employees are "part" of the Express "team").

So on the one hand, those that happen to work for Express are held in "high regard" by Fred, and on the other those who deliver his Ground volume aren't even due a livable existance - they're not even "his" employees.

Bastard step-children in his eyes????

The Ground operation gives the best illustration to those in Express that they AREN'T special - but they merely have the option to organize to REALLY screw up the gravy train for the FedEx executives. That is ALL that stands between them and getting the deal the step-children of FedEx get.

The sooner they realize that and do something about it (organize or get out), the better off they'll be.

Last edited:

Mr Fedex

Banned
Give Massuh' Smith my regards, and tell him that the slaves are ready to harness his ass up so he can plow the fields. His "plantation" is about to experience some problems from the help.

You have been saying this for how many years and nothing has happened.Hows that retirement going?Or do you sill work for FedEx?

vantexan

You have been saying this for how many years and nothing has happened.Hows that retirement going?Or do you sill work for FedEx?

Boy are you in for a shock. Fred S said recently in a meeting with Wall Street analysts that a comprehensive restructuring plan for the Express division will be announced at the Investor Relations meeting in October. The writing has been on the wall for years now, or have you not noticed the consolidation of stations and the build-up of Ground infrastructure? We will soon see a smaller Express with FT employees getting less than 40 hrs. Forget about overtime. Don't know how long you've been with FedEx but if you were expecting many more years of topped out pay with good overtime, you will be very disappointed.

vantexan

Since we both understand the irony of our positions, I trust that you understand my reluctance to remove myself from the position in life I find myself. I still think you are wrong in your portrayal of democrats as "tax and spend liberals", but you are free to vote your future. In the republican world view of the future, I am the middle class and that does not speak well for any driver of any delivery company for decades to come.

Look at Clinton's first two years. So badly managed that it swept Republicans into power. Give Clinton credit for learning to work with Repubs and the 90's were very prosperous. But overall Democrats in power spend way too much without solving the problems they claim to care about. Often they exacerbate the problem. It's a corrupt system they push, based on payoffs. And Obama came out of the cauldron of corrupt politics, Chicago. Not that the Repubs are boyscouts, but their politics are based on help business succeed, not bleeding business dry to pay off cronies and all the other outstretched hands. If you don't see that you need to take a few steps back and take another look. Either way this is all about money. Who gets it, who controls it. At it's core it's all corrupt, and the little guy trying to make an honest living gets run over no matter who's in power.

xfdxgroundmgmt

I know you want to feel superior, and if capping on Ground drivers does it for you, fine. Pathetic and sad, but what do I care if in the end I am the one who gets paid?
Ok................... so Express Courriers say We don't get what UPS gets we get mad, so Express Courriers say we get more than Ground Drivers so we are still mad.................... I guess the loud mouths from Express just showed their always GOING TO BE MAD!

thedownhillEXPRESS

Ok................... so Express Courriers say We don't get what UPS gets we get mad, so Express Courriers say we get more than Ground Drivers so we are still mad.................... I guess the loud mouths from Express just showed their always GOING TO BE MAD!

I think most express couriers are advocating that ground wages and benefits need to be brought up rather than express wages being driven down towards ground...

no pun intended...

xfdxgroundmgmt

I did on a few occasions; when the clients are FEDUP waiting for the GROUND guy to stop by and take it, they'll call the HD division to pick it up. since Ground/HD barcodes are the same, I scan & code it as a "Calltag picked up".

when I close the stop, it'll be counted as a non-delivered item

--------------------

i didn't get what you mean by the term, "red label"

That would be a prp pickup

bbsam

Staff member
I think most express couriers are advocating that ground wages and benefits need to be brought up rather than express wages being driven down towards ground...

no pun intended...

That is an interesting spin on things. In reality I have seen mostly disdain for Ground and an attitude that the drivers aren't even worthy of the Fedex brand. Hardly a sentiment that suggests that they deserve more.

Glorifiedpackmule

Do any of you FedEx Ground drivers out there think you are compensated fairly for the work you do? Do your checks and health insurance reflect the amount of back breaking work you do for FedEx?