Clear times

vantexan

My point is why do something if you hate it, or hate who your doing it for? You make your entire life miserable. I can't say I was fed stories of the promise land. So maybe the fact no one promised my era squat, or ever showed much appreciation left me better off in the long run. They have never planned on topping me out. If I quit I shall not be missed, but quickly replaced. I have no clue what my pension or 401k holds ( hold comments ) . My apologies for striking a nerve.I feel strongly that your relevance should not be based on years of service alone. My original post on this thread was to Dano anyway.

And that is exactly what they want you to believe, that you are an interchangeable part that can be quickly replaced. It was never the promised land and I doubt many went into it thinking they'd get UPS pay and benefits. But it was represented as a solid job with a pension. If you are near 5 weeks vacation then I'm not telling you nothing you don't know. I'm a rehire, almost to 14 years since rehired, 11 years the first time. So I've seen it from different perspectives. There are other factors too, bad economy, health issues. Many of us just have to take it but we'd like to get the same deal senior couriers got and that's where the anger issues come from. Telling us to go elsewhere in this economy sounds insulting to many of us. Glad it's working for you, but good luck coming to this forum and telling us if we don't like it leave it.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Should you have an accident, remember your lawyer can subpoena all of your manager's files relating to you and your rt including messages to and from dispatch. (Contrary to what you might have been told, that information goes back much further then thirty days.)

Be advised that companies sometimes "lose" paperwork and electronic data.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My point is why do something if you hate it, or hate who your doing it for? You make your entire life miserable. I can't say I was fed stories of the promise land. So maybe the fact no one promised my era squat, or ever showed much appreciation left me better off in the long run. They have never planned on topping me out. If I quit I shall not be missed, but quickly replaced. I have no clue what my pension or 401k holds ( hold comments ) . My apologies for striking a nerve.I feel strongly that your relevance should not be based on years of service alone. My original post on this thread was to Dano anyway.

Maybe you should figure-out what your 401k and pension are. Younger employees often make the huge mistake of thinking that FedEx will take care of them, which is most certainly not true. The Traditional Pension Plan was nothing great, and the PPP is an absolute joke. FedEx is essentially telling you to fund your own retirement with a 401k, but they offer a lousy match and with the low pay, it's impossible for most people to make meaningful 401k contributions and/or outside investments.

newgirl

Alot of us old men were led to believe if we did the time we'd get solid pay and a decent pension. Now it appears we've been duped into carrying the company while they built up Ground. And giving away the best years of your life to make a bunch of rich old farts richer while getting screwed in the process tends to make poor old farts pretty angry. And it always fascinates me how those with any kind of position in this company talk of us old couriers wasting our youth doing this job when your job exists as a result of the work we do. Think the checks will keep rolling in if we stop delivering pkgs? If there was constant turnover as the youthful young gods went off to find themselves you'd better believe FedEx would have taken from you in your exalted position to help pay for the constant hiring. We old men who stuck with it are the backbone of this company. And we are dinosaurs because the company has figured out how to bypass us. A little applied logic goes a long way...

Add some old women to that, too. What Van is saying is what a lot of us old-timers feel. We built the Fedex brand with our blood, sweat, and tears. I didn't waste my youth, I helped build this company. I don't hate my job-I actually like what I do--I hate the direction this company has taken.

Here's my hope: The changes in October allow the Express side to get back to what it does best, customer service. We were never meant to be UPS. Our reputation was built on going the extra mile and doing what was best for the customer--providing the utmost in customer service for a price

Goldilocks

Add some old women to that, too. What Van is saying is what a lot of us old-timers feel. We built the Fedex brand with our blood, sweat, and tears. I didn't waste my youth, I helped build this company. I don't hate my job-I actually like what I do--I hate the direction this company has taken.

Here's my hope: The changes in October allow the Express side to get back to what it does best, customer service. We were never meant to be UPS. Our reputation was built on going the extra mile and doing what was best for the customer--providing the utmost in customer service for a price

You are RIGHT ON!!!

Damon77

Here you are! When your clear time hits, you should be finished with all of your deliveries. If you aren't, you are to return to the station anyway and code 01 the remaining packages. You and your manager get to explain why you didn't make your deliveries by the clear time. I think it starts on Tuesday in selected areas (maybe all of them). Less of a focus on service, more of a focus on productivity.

I've already heard from a few who are nervous. Coincidentally they are known to milk it from time to time.

We tried this at my station about 6 months ago. It lasted about a day.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We tried this at my station about 6 months ago. It lasted about a day.

Then it was a complete "success", just like so many other brilliant ideas from management. You know, if they all disappeared tomorrow, things would run smoother....and we'd save money. Listening, Fredward?

Ricochet1a

So the clear time set by engineering (based off of reported stop count) was to be an indicator for ending deliveries and RTB???

I've got to be missing something there, right??

You have 7 stops left to do, but if you get a sliding clear, you are supposed to stop making deliveries, head back to station and then let your mananger figure out where the goal was screwed up?? Meanwhile the volume sits in the stations, not having made committment while engineering pulls their heads out.

I'm beginning to think "pulling heads out" is becoming standard operating procedure there - problem is, they never quite pull them out, just a lot of attempting to figure out how to do it.

If Express has truly sunk to that depth of stupidity, then I don't know what to say (I was thinking it was all a bit of sarcasm).

How about a manager doing a ride along, making note of any deviation from "best practices" (ahem...), making any note of stops being out of efficient order (Courier backtracking), then when the day is over, making a determination of goal based upon actual performance (modified by above factors)?

SmithBarney

hah... I haven't had a ride along in 3 years... figure that one out..
not that I care, I also make my numbers, again not that I care.
We pickup and Deliver packages(on time hopefully) other than that
all the reports are a waste of my time. This job isn't that complicated, Management makes it so.

Glorifiedpackmule

They've Defintly turned the o'le goal clear time computer in my district. It's still inaccurate as ever. My question is does it take in consideration the amount of pickups a route has after deliveries. My stop counts may very well tell the system that I should be done in 6 hours but what about the 30 oncalls I get. Does it take that into consideration or is that just another short coming of the system.

Ricochet1a

They've Defintly turned the o'le goal clear time computer in my district. It's still inaccurate as ever. My question is does it take in consideration the amount of pickups a route has after deliveries. My stop counts may very well tell the system that I should be done in 6 hours but what about the 30 oncalls I get. Does it take that into consideration or is that just another short coming of the system.

Supposedly... that is all going to be ironed out once DRA is universally established. (Begin laugh track).

Under fully implemented and realized DRA (2 or so years out) , there will be delivery routes (with one number) and pickup routes (with another). Couriers that are to be out doing both, will log in with a delivery route number, perform ONLY deliveries, then when completed, either take a break, or start doing pickups AFTER having logged in with the separate pickup route number. This way the productivity of each "side" of the equation can be measured separately, and start and end times for each side of the equation can be adjusted accordingly.

When I was a Courier (part-time), they wanted to do this very thing when I did both deliveries and pickups during peak - didn't work. There were pickups that had to be done during the delivery cycle - meaning that the DADS would come across to the pickup route and not the deivery route I was logged into. Many pickups were missed, since dispatch didn't have time to go through the DADS for the pickup route (which had no one logged into it) and manually reassign it to the delivery route in the area.

The whole goal, is to minimize time for deliveries, then turn around and minimize time spent in pickup modes. So what they are really going to try to find out, is just how long of an unpaid split they can force on current combined routes, without risking too many service failures (cost benefit analysis of minimizing service failures along with wages paid to Couriers).

After that, they want to know how many full-time positions they can convert to part-time positions, after the shift over of deferred volume takes place - again, right around the time DRA is fully implemented Express wide.

Glorifiedpackmule

Supposedly... that is all going to be ironed out once DRA is universally established. (Begin laugh track).

Under fully implemented and realized DRA (2 or so years out) , there will be delivery routes (with one number) and pickup routes (with another). Couriers that are to be out doing both, will log in with a delivery route number, perform ONLY deliveries, then when completed, either take a break, or start doing pickups AFTER having logged in with the separate pickup route number. This way the productivity of each "side" of the equation can be measured separately, and start and end times for each side of the equation can be adjusted accordingly.

When I was a Courier (part-time), they wanted to do this very thing when I did both deliveries and pickups during peak - didn't work. There were pickups that had to be done during the delivery cycle - meaning that the DADS would come across to the pickup route and not the deivery route I was logged into. Many pickups were missed, since dispatch didn't have time to go through the DADS for the pickup route (which had no one logged into it) and manually reassign it to the delivery route in the area.

The whole goal, is to minimize time for deliveries, then turn around and minimize time spent in pickup modes. So what they are really going to try to find out, is just how long of an unpaid split they can force on current combined routes, without risking too many service failures (cost benefit analysis of minimizing service failures along with wages paid to Couriers).

After that, they want to know how many full-time positions they can convert to part-time positions, after the shift over of deferred volume takes place - again, right around the time DRA is fully implemented Express wide.

I don't know about you but I Don't know a lot of adults looking for part time work making 200 bucks a week. I certainly won't be around for it.

Ricochet1a

I don't know about you but I Don't know a lot of adults looking for part time work making 200 bucks a week. I certainly won't be around for it.

Students and those whose "real job" provides the real income, but doesn't have health insurance included as a part of it - will be the norm. I did it as a returning student (after finding out Express wasn't what I read about), and it worked out well for me. I knew many who did it solely for the insurance. They managed to do it for a couple of years, but the inevitable inflexibility of the job resulted in their quitting and paying for a health insurance plan out of pocket (or getting their spouse into a job with benefits).

You hit the nail on the head with regard "won't be around for it" - the whole plan is to have as many career Couriers leave (one way or another) and replace them with students or individuals that need just the health insurance.

With DRA providing maps with the stops identified with a prominent "dot" and a number (first stop at the number 1, then the number 2....), most anyone can do the job.

DRA will even have stop ordering provided on those little yellow tags, so ANYONE can pull freight (as they do now), then place the truck in stop order without actually looking at a single address - they'll only look at the stop ordering indicated by the ROADS label.

Goldilocks

Students and those whose "real job" provides the real income, but doesn't have health insurance included as a part of it - will be the norm. I did it as a returning student (after finding out Express wasn't what I read about), and it worked out well for me. I knew many who did it solely for the insurance. They managed to do it for a couple of years, but the inevitable inflexibility of the job resulted in their quitting and paying for a health insurance plan out of pocket (or getting their spouse into a job with benefits).

You hit the nail on the head with regard "won't be around for it" - the whole plan is to have as many career Couriers leave (one way or another) and replace them with students or individuals that need just the health insurance.

With DRA providing maps with the stops identified with a prominent "dot" and a number (first stop at the number 1, then the number 2....), most anyone can do the job.

DRA will even have stop ordering provided on those little yellow tags, so ANYONE can pull freight (as they do now), then place the truck in stop order without actually looking at a single address - they'll only look at the stop ordering indicated by the ROADS label.

You are right! DRA will cut routes and hours. It takes the brainwork away from the courier. They could train an Ape to pull the belt.

Ricochet1a

You are right! DRA will cut routes and hours. It takes the brainwork away from the courier. They could train an Ape to pull the belt.

So it begs the question, what is going to happen to all the soon to be made obsolete experienced Couriers who will no longer be needed in a DRA world?

One can treat the question as being rhetorical...

bbsam

Staff member
They will swallow the bitter pill that bluee collar workers have swallowed through the ages as progress marches on. Thank God for George W. Bush and the "ownership society"!

Goldilocks

So it begs the question, what is going to happen to all the soon to be made obsolete experienced Couriers who will no longer be needed in a DRA world?

One can treat the question as being rhetorical...

You are correct oh great one! But let me ask what happens when the system fails? As we all know, something fails at least once a week. Guess the Apes will turn into couriers, operational need!