Clerk

panda4

Can someone tell me what they do as clerks ? Have you been ask to do duties that was not in your clerk duties, per say someone else's job ?

images

Your biggest responsibility will be to prevent shoplifting and to keep Jay and Silent Bob from hanging out in front of the store.

fethrs

ha ha cach, smarty pants.
Panda, clerk work is usually address correction on packages and maybe placing some pkgs on will call or postcarding them. Depends on what needs to be done. I have been asked to do all kinds of work, clerk and non clerk work, I usuall do it even if I suck at it (insert joke here) cus I still believe in work as directed.
Hope this helps.

panda4

Ok I have been told for years 14 matter of fact that I am not preload but clerk status. After this period of time they want me handling pkgs on a belt that has always been preload. Isn't there more pay doing preload ?

ha ha cach, smarty pants.
Panda, clerk work is usually address correction on packages and maybe placing some pkgs on will call or postcarding them. Depends on what needs to be done. I have been asked to do all kinds of work, clerk and non clerk work, I usuall do it even if I suck at it (insert joke here) cus I still believe in work as directed.
Hope this helps.

I'm sorry, who are you?

Squint

No more work for me!
Depends on your local. In my local, all clerks are full time union employees. I hear otherwise in locals in other parts of the country.

Squint

No more work for me!
A clerks duties include address corrections in which the shipper is charged a fee (used to be $5.00, not sure if that has changed since I retired). Re-wrap packages, re-label packages if the label has been ripped off or otherwise unreadable. Investigation sometimes is required to find the correct addressee. Overgoods are also part of the clerks duties. Customer counter is manned by full time clerks in my old local. If a driver cannot locate a particular customer, a clerk will call the addressee and get directions sometimes. Damaged packages are handled and cataloged by clerks also.

These are most of the duties of full time clerks. In my old local, if we caught a management person correcting a packages address, we would grieve it and always win.

If a driver happens to know the real address of a package and completes the correction or corrects it himself, he/she is taking money out of the bottom line of the company's money. There was once a process in the DIAD that would do this for the driver and get the money from the shipper that way. Not sure if that is still implemented or not.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

ADC's done in the DIAD are billed to the shipper in the same manner as those done by the clerks.

The clerks in my center have access to websites which allow them to update consignee addresses if there is no phone number on the label.

Squint

No more work for me!
ADC's done in the DIAD are billed to the shipper in the same manner as those done by the clerks.

The clerks in my center have access to websites which allow them to update consignee addresses if there is no phone number on the label.

The programs are extremely useful and quite good. Lots of times you will find addresses for the addressee going back 20 years and see his history. Put all the programs together and I could find anybody anywhere anytime.

On a side note, when you go to the customer center to send a package you are using the USPS's list of addresses.

BrownChoice

But wouldn't a driver who does the correction on-road their self be saving the company more than $5 if its quick, by not using gas or time to take the package out on road again?

If i cannot find the house and there is a phone number on label I will call them myself. Is that bad?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But wouldn't a driver who does the correction on-road their self be saving the company more than $5 if its quick, by not using gas or time to take the package out on road again?

If i cannot find the house and there is a phone number on label I will call them myself. Is that bad?

No; in fact, some may even go so far as to call it customer service.

Squint

No more work for me!

If done properly in the DIAD you'd be doing the company a service, yes. By all means keep up the good work. I however, wouldn't use my personal phone to call the addressee. Just me I guess but I tend to keep personal and work separate.