Close calls- working on ice-Ice road truckers

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Is that even possible?
200.gif

oldngray

nowhere special
Possible, but would tear up the tranny quick and in a hurry and just give the tires more drive. Neutral, 1st. I prefer neutral no pull.

Agreed. In bad weather a manual transmission is much better. Ease that clutch to take it out of gear and coast if you start to slide. Plus trying to rock it if you get stuck almost can't be done in the new automatics.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
First of all, congratulations Tooner on 20 years safe. UPS my not care but I think it's wonderful. This has had to be the worst winter as far as ice goes. The constant cold has turned many a driveway into a toboggan chute. Almost dailey a driver will get fooled by a driveway that looks good only to get stuck by the ice. Can't wait until spring.

Packmule

Around here if you are an in town driver, they chain up for the day. Harder in extended because the highways will be dry, but every side road ice.

rod

Retired 22 years
Agreed. In bad weather a manual transmission is much better. Ease that clutch to take it out of gear and coast if you start to slide. Plus trying to rock it if you get stuck almost can't be done in the new automatics.

To get my old P800 rocking the first thing you had to do was plug your ears because the noise from the gears grinding was going to get loud. They must have had some great gears in them because I know I have taken a few pounds of metal off them when stuck and I'm pissed.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I had a customer tell me we are supposed to get a blizzard on Tuesday. I didn't know whether to cry or punch him in the nose.

rod

Retired 22 years
Did anyone besides me every see Joey Chitwood stunts?

Unfortunately now days Joie Chitwood's Thrill show would put most audiences to sleep. With the mind boggling tricks they do now on dirt bikes/cycles, snowmobiles, skis, snowboards, airplanes and everything else just jumping a car 20 feet over a 5 foot high ramp wouldn't cut it. Back in the day though his thrill show was the best.

DOK

One of the guys who hit a building actually said "I was going to put the emergency brake on. I know it happens in a split second, but why would you..........do that. ??????

Using emergency brake puts the brake on for the rear wheels only which allows you to maintain steering control in some circumstances.

UPSER110

Using emergency brake puts the brake on for the rear wheels only which allows you to maintain steering control in some circumstances.

I agree.. I "feather" the E brake and steer with the other hand... once those front wheels start sliding that's when you are in trouble... all the weight is up front and you gotta let the front tires roll..

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I say, and get ridiculed for it, grab some off or on ramp, and wait for the DOT trucks before your UPS rubber meets any more road. My sups don't even question me anymore....