Closed Today Due To Snow

calcio56

We got today off in northern va due to like 6 or 7 inches.

Last night they told us one hour delay today. Then this morning I had texts saying 2 hr delay then finally closed.

It's my first year driving, do we get paid for snow days or are we sol?

J

jibbs

Anybody else notice a growing wimpy attitude in terms of dealing with snow?

I love the snow, man-- preferably when I'm watching it fall through one of the windows of my house because I happened to glance to the left, while I'm nice and warm and already entertained (possibly a li'l intoxicated) in a pretty comfortable place, like a bed or one of those huge armchairs that make me look like a midget.

But yeah, man, snow? No problem.

[EDIT: I also like starting snowball fights with little kids. It's hard to lose when you can one-hit TKO the little suckers. And deliberately using the space immediately bordering my one :censored2: neighbor's driveway to pile my shoveled snow, so that he has to either re-shovel my piles to clear his way or back straight out of his driveway, all the way across the street and then have to do something like a 3-point turn to get out without slamming through the snowbank? Yeah, I get some entertainment out of that. Drawing faces in the snow on peoples' cars, I do that every now and then. Did the ice-rink sidewalk thing once to an old guy that always :censored2:ed with me and my friends when I was younger. THAT :censored2: was pretty funny, actually... could just be the memory that's funny, though.... meh

I can be a :censored2: sometimes, yeah, but so can most of the people in the neighborhood.]

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FrigidAdCorrector

If you hit comm when stop completing the EC will that do anything "wrong"? I hit it yesterday unintentionally and wasnt going to rescan all 84 pkgs again
I don't think it makes a difference but I could be wrong. I'm sure you'd find out if there was a problem.

HardknocksUPSer

How much snow do you have?

I hope you're getting more. Can't believe a center would close for two inches. Takes about 15 for us to even hear talk of closing.

Nope. Will show up in the computer as an EC.
Not much snow at all, lots of sleet on top of the snow in my area, I estimate 1in of snow and a layer of hard icy sleet 2in

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It's resulting in a bunch of accidents here so probably justified. Also every snow storm is just making the roads narrower and narrower. Most winters there will be some melting between storms.

rod

Retired 22 years

As far as I'm concerned the younger generation is growing more wimpy about everything. Too cold to work-too hot to work-need a month off because the wife had a baby-supervisor picks on me---boo-hoo-hoo.

upschuck

I'm off today, but had to go out yesterday to get off "bulk" the manager said. He wouldn't have sent us out himself, but it's all from above what we do. I got Walmart, Target, and Lowes (biggest dumps)off and called him and said man everything else is closed. Made the arduous trip back to the center. I was in my 1100 so it made it through the snow pretty good.
Sometimes I wonder if they say that, just to put the blame on someone else.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
As far as I'm concerned the younger generation is growing more wimpy about everything. Too cold to work-too hot to work-need a month off because the wife had a baby-supervisor picks on me---boo-hoo-hoo.

I agree with everything, except the baby part. I took a month off when my daughter was born. Plan on taking more next time if we save up enough money first

rod

Retired 22 years
I agree with everything, except the baby part. I took a month off when my daughter was born. Plan on taking more next time if we save up enough money first

I won't say its wrong to take time off when you have a kid but years ago it was unheard of---- maybe a day or two AT THE MOST. Its all just part of the softening up of America. They would have probably found a way to fired you if you took a whole MONTH off. I guess we will never know because no one did.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I don't think it's so much of a wimpy attitude but newer light weight package cars that get stuck when they are just calling for snow. Couple that with smaller, light weight cars and we have a daily game of dodgems on our routes.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I lived on Lake Erie, in Ohio early on in my driving career. I can drive just fine in the snow. Its everyone else that makes it harder than it needs to be.
I swear yesterday I was about to throat punch someone.

If I had met another f250 with mud tires on a road that only has 1 lane plowed and they throw their hands up like they can't move over I might have lost my :censored2:

Brownslave688

A landscaping crew is putting in a retaining wall in my area. Wind chill -10 today. There are still real men out there.
Lol recently had a house go up close by. If rain was in the forecast or the high below 40 no one was ever there.

I told my wife that would not have flown when I was in construction and won't fly when I build a house.

Brownslave688

I don't think it's so much of a wimpy attitude but newer light weight package cars that get stuck when they are just calling for snow. Couple that with smaller, light weight cars and we have a daily game of dodgems on our routes.
Cars weigh as much or more than ever.

A new truck weighs almost 1000 lbs more than my 1991 gmc. All the electronics and safety features add a ton of weight.

oldngray

nowhere special
Cars weigh as much or more than ever.

A new truck weighs almost 1000 lbs more than my 1991 gmc. All the electronics and safety features add a ton of weight.

My old P1000 was about 8500 pounds and when I got a newer one it was about 10500. Newer truck still handled like crap in any bad weather.