Closing my Sort, what to expect???

RealPerson

Just told tonight that my HUB sort would be closing.
I am in the Central Region.

UPS sent a letter to the BA, and he called the Steward and the Steward told us.

Steward said the 223's there is no info on yet as the Company and the union have to have a meeting about the jobs...

Part Timers. Steward said we could go to the Night sort or the Pre load, but we are basically starting over on seniority for placement. We keep seniority for vacations and pay, but can not bump anyone since UPS is calling this an "operational change" or something like that.

We are NOT moving locations or buildings, it is the Same building.

Without reading the contract and supplement (can't find my book right now and want quick answers) ...... To me it is no different than being laid off and we should be able to BUMP into a position. When we CUT our staffing from 12 to 9 people, those people could Bump others...

Anyway, just reaching out to others here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Even though you will be staying in the same building the company is right in that this is the same as closing down the building. Seniority will play a key role in where people end up.

RealPerson

I believe Seniority will play a key role. that is why I believe (without reading) that I could Bump another part timer on another shift with Less.

My Steward is saying NO, I will have the option to pick what sort I want, but I will lose 20 years of Seniority and start out on the bottom for any position on the shift I choose.

BrownBrokeDown

I believe Seniority will play a key role. that is why I believe (without reading) that I could Bump another part timer on another shift with Less.

My Steward is saying NO, I will have the option to pick what sort I want, but I will lose 20 years of Seniority and start out on the bottom for any position on the shift I choose.
I know, in the Southern at least, that if you transfer buildings you keep company seniority for vacation, benefits, etc, but you start fresh with building seniority at the new building, ie you get the :censored2: jobs. Dont know if it is the same when staying in the same building but changing sorts. I have a hunch that it is the same though.

RealPerson

If so, I need to put in for a transfer to a different sort before we close, haha...

If I transfer to another sort I don't get to bump, but I do get to keep 20 years seniority for bidding extra work and jobs on that sort...

RealPerson

I know, in the Southern at least, that if you transfer buildings you keep company seniority for vacation, benefits, etc, but you start fresh with building seniority at the new building, ie you get the :censored2: jobs. Dont know if it is the same when staying in the same building but changing sorts. I have a hunch that it is the same though.

Right, I understand this for transferring to a different building... Also OUR building goes buy building seniority, as when extra Christmas work comes up on the 5-9 shift, I get to work that!

1000RR

I'm in the Central as well. If your sort is closing you will have the option to bump any junior part timer (assuming you are part time) from ANY other sort provided you have the seniority. The only time your seniority starts over is if you quit and come back or if you transfer buildings as in an educational transfer. Sounds like you need a new steward.

Red Dawn

In the southern you can bump any jr employee you do not lose any sonority for part timers. The 22.3 might have a classification change witch would change oy there classification seniority. Ups did same down here when they got ride of night sort. They try and say "displaced" instead of lay off In southern contract it's covered under 48

For your 22.3 if they go after your pay check letter of understanding!

RealPerson

I have figured out the part time stuff, THANKS everyone.
For the 22.3's they are to have a meeting between the union and the company to figure out what will happen. I have a feeling some 22.3's (lowest ones) will either not have a job, or have to go back to part time or driver... I doubt UPS will "make" more 22.3 jobs on other shifts.

Or I guess 22.3 could bump 2 part timers, and well by to those guys, but PEAK is getting close, so maybe not...

MJoGo14

Our day sort was closed a few years ago up in the Midwest.

I was able to jump onto the twilight sort and maintain my seniority.

The reason for them closing my shift was all operations and they never mentioned once that we would lose our seniority.

I suggest you go above your steward and reach out to the union reps of your district.

RealPerson

Our day sort was closed a few years ago up in the Midwest.

I was able to jump onto the twilight sort and maintain my seniority.

The reason for them closing my shift was all operations and they never mentioned once that we would lose our seniority.

I suggest you go above your steward and reach out to the union reps of your district.

I posted this within hours of finding out. The steward was just saying what they knew at the time. I doubt many people experience this exact thing in a center to often. This is the reason I reached out to the boards.

I did find out that in the "change of operations" section of the Master that Part time seniority will be dovetailed. I was told Dovetailed meant (lists combined). Our building was already combined for extra work anyway, so the only change for me other than the obvious of working another shift is if I can bump into any job I want.... Doesn't matter to me as I work most anything, and most have openings frequently since turnover is high.

Thanks everyone on this board and a facebook page that helped.

I just hope the news works out well for the 22.3's and any 22.3's they might be bumping if allowed, or whoever gets displaced.

cardboard-surfer

When my entire center closed and management offered another location they said I'd lose all seniority...I said no problem, the new site wasn't inconvenient.

Then they tacked on another demand, said if my former center started again (ie they cranked it up on a whim) that I'd be banned from all non-bid jobs from that center for 5 years. No transferring back. So it's either quit, or be banned from your old center. "But you can always re-apply for Peak next fall!" Yeah whatever.

If UPS can shut down entire shifts, hubs and centers and jerk around PT'ers, there should be wording in the Master stating the shift at that center/hub can't be started again for a full 2 years, including Peaks, just so they know there's a price for yanking around dozens/hundreds of workers on a whim. Let them get a taste of their own medicine.

I'm sure thousands of PT'ers from last year's Peak that were dumped on the street in January thought the same thing. Now the company's gonna be calling them up the day after Labor Day begging and pleading for them to come back...but management knows the day after Labor Day means new hires will only get 29 working days before Peak starts. And you can be certain management will dump them back on the street before early January so they never get that final non-Peak working day.

Nice forward thinking, shutting down a hub less than two months before Peak. Not like that's gonna bite 'em or anything...oh wait they'll just crank it up again, then whine that there's no PT'ers to fill the positions...because they were all banned for 5 years.

Rain Shield

Did you bother to read the first post?

Yes, I read the first post Mr. Know it all. Be said his sort is being closing. He mentioned he could go to the night sort or the preload.

Therefore, be works in a hub. Preload and night sort (Probably twilight), handles volume that is delivered and picked up local.

If he worked one of the other sorts, either noon day or midnight his sort handles volume coming from other regions or going to other regions.

As I correctly stated, this work does not just disappear. It is being done somewhere other than the hub he is working at.

Language varies by region, so that is why I asked the question. Stick to what you know, which is nothing.

Rain Shield

Yes, I read the first post Mr. Know it all. Be said his sort is being closing. He mentioned he could go to the night sort or the preload.

Therefore, be works in a hub. Preload and night sort (Probably twilight), handles volume that is delivered and picked up local.

If he worked one of the other sorts, either noon day or midnight his sort handles volume coming from other regions or going to other regions.

As I correctly stated, this work does not just disappear. It is being done somewhere other than the hub he is working at.

Language varies by region, so that is why I asked the question. Stick to what you know, which is nothing.
By the way, how do I know this? It happened to me. 2 large hubs in the region unable to handle midnight sort volume. 3rd building became a hub when midnight shift opened.

Guess what, followed the work to new 3rd Hub in seniority order. Work did not disappear. It still excisted. It just moved, and so did I.

Champ_Here

sheet it missed
When my entire center closed and management offered another location they said I'd lose all seniority...I said no problem, the new site wasn't inconvenient.

Then they tacked on another demand, said if my former center started again (ie they cranked it up on a whim) that I'd be banned from all non-bid jobs from that center for 5 years. No transferring back. So it's either quit, or be banned from your old center. "But you can always re-apply for Peak next fall!" Yeah whatever.

If UPS can shut down entire shifts, hubs and centers and jerk around PT'ers, there should be wording in the Master stating the shift at that center/hub can't be started again for a full 2 years, including Peaks, just so they know there's a price for yanking around dozens/hundreds of workers on a whim. Let them get a taste of their own medicine.

I'm sure thousands of PT'ers from last year's Peak that were dumped on the street in January thought the same thing. Now the company's gonna be calling them up the day after Labor Day begging and pleading for them to come back...but management knows the day after Labor Day means new hires will only get 29 working days before Peak starts. And you can be certain management will dump them back on the street before early January so they never get that final non-Peak working day.

Nice forward thinking, shutting down a hub less than two months before Peak. Not like that's gonna bite 'em or anything...oh wait they'll just crank it up again, then whine that there's no PT'ers to fill the positions...because they were all banned for 5 years.
Wow I thought our operation was bad.. we've already hired a few more for peak and from what I am told HR is done hiring for all positions FT and PT by October 1st. It used to be like you said, hire everyone a few weeks before it gets crazy. I guess things are getting better at my center :)

RealPerson

The Union and UPS have a meeting Tuesday. Hope to hear something Tuesday night. I believe Tuesday is just for the company to say what they offer.