C'mon.....beat this

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Yesterday was a bad day for weather in a small valley about 50 miles from here. It is a whole different world up there. Where we were just getting a little rain and some wind there was a major blizzard going on there.

Because our satellite driver rolled 50 packages I got the opportunity to go and help him clean up. While there my driver side wiper motor seized up. Could not go anywhere as I could not clear my windshield. Needless to say I had written it up twice as a problem. Another truck was dispatched with a mechanic to repair wiper motor. Meanwhile I get the call from another driver saying I had better leave the valley as the visibility was getter poor. There was nothing I could do until other truck arrives.

Swap trucks and get on my way back to center. 50 mile drive. As I crest to the dry farms I realize it was bad. I see a county deputy. He waves me down and says there is a semi off the road ahead. Go slow but continue. As I near the wrecked semi there is an on coming car. I slow to a stop. The wind is howling and whipping the snow across the road. Suddenly I feel my truck start to move sideways. The wind shoves my truck completely off the road. I sit for a while hoping the wind will die down. I really do not want to try to go around the semi as I don't want to have another episode of getting blown off the road into him. I try again to get on the road and am blown perpendicular to the road. I let it slide back to the side of the road.

State trooper tells me to stay put for awhile. There is a fully loaded bus coming around the semi. As it passes the wind takes the front end of the bus and pushes it downwind. The the bus stays sideways in the road.

Moments later.......a state snow plow comes along side me. My windows and mirrors are covered in snow and I cannot see what he is doing. Later a sheriff's deputy comes into my truck. He says "Hey.....I guess you know that you have a snow plow against your truck" NO......I did not feel a thing. Not with the way the truck is rocking in the wind. The wind was so strong that I blew a fully loaded state plow off the road. Simply amazing.

So we wait. And wait. And wait. Eventually a tow truck comes to remove the plow from the side of my truck. No damage. Deemed an "ACT OF NATURE" by the state patrolman.

Had to spend the night in motel as I ran out of hours. On the way back this morning, the truck develops a fuel filter issue. Try driving 50 miles at 30 mph.

Yah..... I had a bad day.

rocket man

wowi think you guy,s deserve more in cotract if it snows over a inch. as we deserve more we had some mornings where it hit 40 degrees almost had to call in/ there realy should be somthing in there. did ups pay for hotel or do you get rembursed?meals ect and did you have pickup volume?

brown bomber

brown bomber
Did you tell your supervisor that the plow hit you? Did they charge you anyway even though it was an act of God??
we all know that God doesn't work on the behalf of UPS.....acts of God, are inexcusable......you shouldn't have come in to work, that's how you avoid accidents

Inthegame

gman, That does sound like a tough day. Reminds me of the time I almost got hit by a parked car! I'm pulling into an alley with a rather steep apron, and a car angle parked on a little rise starts sliding(on ice) back into the alley as I'm driving by. Missed me by inches. How do you think UPS would have ruled on that one? Anyway be glad you survived with no injuries, and with a good story.

we all know that God doesn't work on the behalf of UPS.....acts of God, are inexcusable......you shouldn't have come in to work, that's how you avoid accidents
Yea I know anytime we get one of those acts of God snow days anymore I call off. You know where I'm at (the valley) cause I was right next to you. Those hill + ice & snow is an accident waiting to happen. I'm still accident free and well on my way to the circle of honor. I'm going to need to call in sometimes if I want to get there.

gman042

Yea I know anytime we get one of those acts of God snow days anymore I call off. You know where I'm at (the valley) cause I was right next to you. Those hill + ice & snow is an accident waiting to happen. I'm still accident free and well on my way to the circle of honor. I'm going to need to call in sometimes if I want to get there.

OOPS.....the fates heard you.

And NO neither I nor the plow driver were charged with an accident. I wish I could post up video from my phone. You all would be amazed.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I thought I had it bad, having to wait 3 hours for a towtruck. I guess I should quit whining, at least I didnt have to spend the night in a motel! How does that work anyway, did UPS pay for the room over the phone with a credit card or did you have to pay out of your own pocket? I have never heard of a package driver having to spend the night in a motel. Wow.

satellitedriver

I have never heard of a package driver having to spend the night in a motel. Wow.
In the 80's, I knew of a sup and a driver regularly spending an hour in a motel room.
The driver ended up being fired for throwing pkg's away into a dumpster-(the paper days)-.
The sup got fired a year later for falsifying time cards.
This my is only UPS Motel story.

yeldarb

I got stuck in traffic for a fatal accident in a snow storm and it took 7 hours for them to clear the accident, wound up stuck in another jam a short time later and ran out of hours on the side of freeway. They wanted me to punch out on side of road for 10 hours and come then come back. I would not do it. (This is in feeders) I wound up trying to sleep in my tractor, and wound up getting 25 hours since it took so long for them to dispatch someone to me, since the roads were so bad, and no drivers had hours since it was the towards the end of the week.

old levi's

blank space
Yesterday was a bad day for weather in a small valley about 50 miles from here. It is a whole different world up there. Where we were just getting a little rain and some wind there was a major blizzard going on there.

Because our satellite driver rolled 50 packages I got the opportunity to go and help him clean up. While there my driver side wiper motor seized up. Could not go anywhere as I could not clear my windshield. Needless to say I had written it up twice as a problem. Another truck was dispatched with a mechanic to repair wiper motor. Meanwhile I get the call from another driver saying I had better leave the valley as the visibility was getter poor. There was nothing I could do until other truck arrives.

Swap trucks and get on my way back to center. 50 mile drive. As I crest to the dry farms I realize it was bad. I see a county deputy. He waves me down and says there is a semi off the road ahead. Go slow but continue. As I near the wrecked semi there is an on coming car. I slow to a stop. The wind is howling and whipping the snow across the road. Suddenly I feel my truck start to move sideways. The wind shoves my truck completely off the road. I sit for a while hoping the wind will die down. I really do not want to try to go around the semi as I don't want to have another episode of getting blown off the road into him. I try again to get on the road and am blown perpendicular to the road. I let it slide back to the side of the road.

State trooper tells me to stay put for awhile. There is a fully loaded bus coming around the semi. As it passes the wind takes the front end of the bus and pushes it downwind. The the bus stays sideways in the road.

Moments later.......a state snow plow comes along side me. My windows and mirrors are covered in snow and I cannot see what he is doing. Later a sheriff's deputy comes into my truck. He says "Hey.....I guess you know that you have a snow plow against your truck" NO......I did not feel a thing. Not with the way the truck is rocking in the wind. The wind was so strong that I blew a fully loaded state plow off the road. Simply amazing.

So we wait. And wait. And wait. Eventually a tow truck comes to remove the plow from the side of my truck. No damage. Deemed an "ACT OF NATURE" by the state patrolman.

Had to spend the night in motel as I ran out of hours. On the way back this morning, the truck develops a fuel filter issue. Try driving 50 miles at 30 mph.

Yah..... I had a bad day.

Hammer Time / Can't Touch This

menotyou

bella amicizia
In the 80's, I knew of a sup and a driver regularly spending an hour in a motel room.
The driver ended up being fired for throwing pkg's away into a dumpster-(the paper days)-.
That beats packages in the woods on Ransom rd any day!!!!

old levi's

blank space

Should have used the back of the truck; no paper trail. Now baby, you just hold on to the edge of that 2000 shelf and I'll take care of things back here.:wink2:

gman042

I thought I had it bad, having to wait 3 hours for a towtruck. I guess I should quit whining, at least I didnt have to spend the night in a motel! How does that work anyway, did UPS pay for the room over the phone with a credit card or did you have to pay out of your own pocket? I have never heard of a package driver having to spend the night in a motel. Wow.

Either way. If you pay then you are reimbursed. You are also allowed 25 dollar expenditure for food.

Packmule

Yeah that's tough. Come close with that ice and wind thing blowing me off the road once, but I managed to drive out of it. Still, I've long believed that if law-enforcement has a no travel advisery out, and UPS sends us out, we should NEVER be held responsible for ANY accident that occurs. Period.