CNBC Airing "Package Wars" tonight at 9 pm est

clueless

"UPS/FedEx: Inside the Package Wars":

CNBC takes you inside the mad dash to move more than 25 million packages a day. It's a revealing look at a complex system of jaw dropping automation that feeds an army of trucks on the ground and a fleet of planes in the sky. Our cameras explore the innerworkings of UPS' Worldport and the FedEx Super Hub showing how extreme automation and hi-tech logistics help two companies scan, move and push their businesses to new heights.

CNBC cameras capture the crush of an e-commerce revolution as FedEx and UPS invent ways to be faster, smarter and cheaper shipping everything from blackhawks to pandas.Plus, CNBC takes viewers beyond packages to a new frontier where the delivery giants set their sights on even more growth with unique strategies that have the delivery guys cashing in on pharmaceuticals, smart phones and even luxury cars. CNBC's Brian Shactman reports.

Floyd Gondolli

I watched it as well. Looked to me it was an exercise in one-upping each other. The most surprising thing about it was that the company admitted that they do need our HUMAN hands. SHOCKING! I do know this..........I do not like suits.....soft, dull, robotic, rehearsed talking points. This has nothing to do with rebelling against the man or the corporate machine. it's about being out of touch with the "hands" of this business which has been covered here of course. Look a suit in the eye you can tell who was a Jedi as an hourly if ever.

working up a sweat

Bunch of PR fluff. Show us the muscle power of Team Brown. The package does not get moved without our sweat , sacrifice, and strength of our bodies. I am talking to all the brothers and sisters inside the hubs and on the vehicles of UPS. It ain't all technology. Show us the human face.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Bunch of PR fluff. Show us the muscle power of Team Brown. The package does not get moved without our sweat , sacrifice, and strength of our bodies. I am talking to all the brothers and sisters inside the hubs and on the vehicles of UPS. It ain't all technology. Show us the human face.

The show was about technology. LOL

klein

Für Meno :)
Surprisingly today, I received my package that I won from Labatts thru Fedex tonight. 4 beer glasses and coasters , plus a bottle opener ($50 value).
Came around 7pm, box in good shape, all glasses ok ! :)

My last 2 prizes I won from Labatts, just during the past 2 months ago came via UPS. I'm guessing UPS lost that contract ????!!!!

working up a sweat

Hoax, No TV camaras were on me and the other guy pulling a 4,000 pound air container (A1) on a ball floor over 150 yards last night. The air can was old and was warped on the bottom. A total struggle, brute strength to finish the job for us. I yelled at the sup to get a third person to help. Of course she don't want to rock the boat and get us help until we were done.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax, No TV camaras were on me and the other guy pulling a 4,000 pound air container (A1) on a ball floor over 150 yards last night. The air can was old and was warped on the bottom. A total struggle, brute strength to finish the job for us. I yelled at the sup to get a third person to help. Of course she don't want to rock the boat and get us help until we were done.

True UPSers ... whatever it takes! Kudos!

Floyd Gondolli

Once that technology is in place and by all means it is there, probably to much so. You still need the human element to execute and carry out that technology....a caveat.....i do not support what crimes Ted Kaczynski commited, but the man was a :censored2: genius. Probably too much for his own good. Google him. Read excerpts from the Uni-bomber Manifesto about technology and the human element. I would post a link but you guessed it. I don't know how.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Once that technology is in place and by all means it is there, probably to much so. You still need the human element to execute and carry out that technology....a caveat.....i do not support what crimes Ted Kaczynski commited, but the man was a :censored2: genius. Probably too much for his own good. Google him. Read excerpts from the Uni-bomber Manifesto about technology and the human element. I would post a link but you guessed it. I don't know how.

A knife is a type of technology ... Charlie Manson had some ingenious application of technology. :weird:

Floyd Gondolli

Clever Hoax, My point is, to Working Up A Sweats point, and i think we can all agree.........Too much technology is not necessarily a good thing. It's talked about everyday here. Kaczynski wrote about this before the boom of the dot com age in detail.

Re-Raise

I came away from the show with a little more respect for the supply chain Logistics branch of the business.

If the guy is correct that stated it is generating 20 % of our revenue and FedEx is scrambling to catch up..then I guess I will quit rolling my eyes every time the commercial comes on.

DS

Fenderbender
I came away from the show with a little more respect for the supply chain Logistics branch of the business.

If the guy is correct that stated it is generating 20 % of our revenue and FedEx is scrambling to catch up..then I guess I will quit rolling my eyes every time the commercial comes on.

Surprisingly today, I received my package that I won from Labatts thru Fedex tonight. 4 beer glasses and coasters , plus a bottle opener ($50 value).
Came around 7pm, box in good shape, all glasses ok ! :)

My last 2 prizes I won from Labatts, just during the past 2 months ago came via UPS. I'm guessing UPS lost that contract ????!!!!
Yea I got that too Re-Raise...frozen foreskins at your command....
Klein,they found out you were involved and gave Fedex the contract
jk

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son is a Global Supply Chain Management major at our local SUNY school and hopes to do his internship at a local UPS SCS facility. This is a growing field.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Put all the technology you want in the UPS life, you can't move a package with a tie on !!! Eventually, you have to respect us !